• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pocock Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck why do we have to save the world first. Surely the Yanks, Russians, Chinese, Indians and so on have a much greater impact on the environment than us.

I look at the argument this way: Coal IS a dirty, fossil fuel. At some point in time whether it be 50 or 200 years the dirty filty stuff will be useless as alternatives such as solar, nuclear will be more attractive to populations and suitable to the environment

At the moment we have a valuable resource, and truckloads of the shit. The commodity is valuable now but will be worthless at some time in the future.

Solution: Dig the shit up now, sell as much as we can, make plenty of profit to reduce our debt. Then we can become greener (once all of OUR coal has goooooone)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh FFS! The offences of entering/remaining on enclosed land carry a maximum penalty of $550. By way of comparison, the max for urinating in public is $1100 or 6 months jail.

The only less serious offence that I can immediately think of is that of climbing onto/into a fountain, which can cost you the sum of $440.

They're not offences of violence, dishonesty or against public order. There's nothing to see here.

He will almost certainly have no conviction recorded for a first offence, but he was also charged with hindering the working of mining equipment which carries a maximum sentence of seven years imprisonment.

Now that's not going to happen but there are certainly plenty of laws to make it difficult for environmental activists (particularly serial ones) of getting in the way of big business.

It needs to be reiterated that the ARU's response of giving a written warning has nothing to do with the environmental protest. It is entirely to do with being arrested and charged.

If Pocock had been arrested and charged for a different crime that received less symptahy from the public you could guarantee the ARU's response would have been more severe.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
terry

I constantly carry a large (over)burden on my shoulders. Would love to get rid of it so we can get at the coalface. Then I will be able to support the ARU along with my newest bestest mate, Clive
T.A.

I thought it was a chip - like a wood chip...the one John Williamson sang about in the pre-match of a loig grand final when the Raiders were playing: to the disapproval of all Raiders supporters, IIRC.
And that's why you don't want your team members taking on political fights: not all your supporters/sponsors/potential sponsors will agree.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Mate I disagree.

Sponsers gon't their company and the way they are perceived in the marketplace being polarised by the views of a few

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I'm not going to get into the politics of the situation. Or my opinion of it.

However, one point I'll make is this.

The thing I like about Pocock is that he didn't possess a 'celebrity like, attention seeking, ivory tower' approach with the protesting.
I mean, don't get me wrong, there are plenty of celebrities on both sides, whom have genuine ideals and beliefs.

However, plenty do it in an attempt to gain media attention. As if to say ' oh, look at me, I'm a wildlife warrior, even though I drive a hummer and live in a mansion when the cameras are away'.

Pocock is different; I personally think he practice what he preaches. I wish he would strive for Wallaby captaincy with similar vigour in advocating environmental protection - Australian rugby would be in a better place.

But, that's his choice and I commend him for being his own man and staying honest to his beliefs.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would suggest Pocock's actions are the least of the Wobs current issues

I know why you say that and in a sense you a right but one of the major issues facing the Wallabies is cultural.
No individual is bigger than the team. If you're a Wallaby the team extends right up to the ARU (recall the outcry over Cooper disrespecting the wider team).
Putting your personal political views first is not part of a team culture.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
I know why you say that and in a sense you a right but one of the major issues facing the Wallabies is cultural.
No individual is bigger than the team. If you're a Wallaby the team extends right up to the ARU (recall the outcry over Cooper disrespecting the wider team).

So Pocock has no right as a private citizen. Its not like he was chained to a bulldozer in his Wallabies blazer. He has every right to do what he wants to in his own time. Exactly the same right that I have to protest against whatever I want to in my time. Maybe some people will only be happy when everyone is dragged to to a level where intoxication, self interest, lewd behaviour and general buffoonary are team culture.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So Pocock has no right as a private citizen. Its not like he was chained to a bulldozer in his Wallabies blazer. He has every right to do what he wants to in his own time. Exactly the same right that I have to protest against whatever I want to in my time. Maybe some people will only be happy when everyone is dragged to to a level where intoxication, self interest, lewd behaviour and general buffoonary are team culture.

I don't know what you do for a living but I can assure you that many occupations carry with them an express or implied limitation on freedom of expression, even in your own time.
If you sign up for the team, take the money and get the other benefits you do nothing to harm the team or you suffer. Intoxication, self interest, lewd behaviour and general buffoonery should be dealt with in the same way because they too are inimical to the interests of the team.
When you don't treat them that way they proliferate - which is exactly what has happened.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Of course he has every right to do what he wants in his own time.

He also needs to acknowledge that what he does in his own time has an affect on his employer. This is why players have a code of conduct to adhere to when they sign a contract.

Suggesting that Pocock getting arrested and charged was possibly not in the best interests of the ARU doesn't mean that someone is throwing support behind poor behaviour by other players.

Clearly that behaviour is far worse which is why Pocock was given the lightest punishment available to the ARU.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Several past and present NZ Rugby Team members have got themselves in trouble for expressing their political views (albeit rather innocently and naively) in tweets on Election Day in NZ.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...112723244?nk=07b7b94ec65271874c0e585fd6b24278

Theoretically politics and sport shouldn't mix but in reality politics is an inherent part of sport from International Sporting boycotts right down to helicopter parents and village club and district team selections and administration, but it is often not a good look, and can be rather divisive, when sportspeople themselves get actively involved in politics and political issues when they are still playing or coaching.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't know what you do for a living but I can assure you that many occupations carry with them an express or implied limitation on freedom of expression, even in your own time.

I hopefully will never do either, but certainly getting arrested and charged for any offence would be more damaging to my career than sexually harassing someone in the workplace.

In the numerous forms I sign every year where I have to state I've never been convicted of a criminal offence, there's no option to say yes, but it was for a really worthwhile cause.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Are you just being argumentative for the sake of it? There is a world of difference between Quade's indiscretion and what David did in terms of impact on team culture.
There is only one measure on what sort of impact David's behaviour might have on the team's culture and that is how it affects what the other players think of him. Given that he hasn't been a Wallaby for some time and the previously apparent high esteem the players held him in, I would be shocked if this has had any negative impact on team culture. I wouldn't mind betting that it might have even had a positive impact.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
The guy is a private citizen with a long life that will have little to do with professional rugby. He hasn't represented the Wallabies for almost two years.

The ARU did what they had to do. It's been too much of a crazy year for them not to.

But seriously, any comparisons drawn between Poey and the other high profile incidents of blokes breaking "team culture" are laughable. Punching people, stealing property and abusing women a peaceful protest.

As pointed out earlier, his major folly was arriving after relevant court cases were decided.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
This is a real "can of worms"!
By protesting the way he did, David aligned himself with the "Lock The Gate" movement. This group started off as local farmers and their supporters locking their own gates in a lawful protest against future coal mines in their district, (in the Liverpool Plains Shire of NW NSW, at Caroona, west of Quirindi). Most of these people were (and still are) long-time friends of mine (some for over 50 years), and some of them are related to me.
"Lock the Gate" has 'morphed' into an organisation which now contains anarchists, rebels, hot-heads and Greens figure-heads, like Drew Hutton and Lee Rhiannon.
As we saw at the Bentley CSG protests (in the Lismore district), "Lock The Gate" now locks other people's gates!
The farmer who had given Metgasco permission to enter his property to drill CSG test bores, had his gates welded together, and large steel spikes were concreted into the road that accessed that section of his property to prevent the drilling contractor's trucks entering the property! That action prevented the farmer from being able to move his cattle, or have feed brought in, via that access road.

If David Pocock believes that this organisation is to be part of his future, then he should cancel his contract with the ARU, and devote his time to it, as I feel that he can't do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.