• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I was willing to accept Horwill and Genia leaving, but the overall marketing appeal of the Reds will drop massively if Quade leaves.

Yeah yeah yeah you will here all the southerners claim he hasn't played much rugby lately so therefor doesn't deserve to be high up the pecking order of ARU Top-Ups. But screw that, his injuries aren't related to degenerative issues like knees or hamstrings, it's just highly unfortunate impact injuries(his first one at least). Quade is the highest profile rugby player in QLD and would probably sit just under Izzy as the best known Wallaby across Australia..

When he is fit. And he will be fit again he is an amazing talent and attracts fans. There really is no other player quite like Quade in Australian Rugby.. It's unfortunately the ARU is so strapped for cash and won't consider his marketing appeal as an extra kick for signing him..

In the future we will look back at Quade as a once In a generation player and ponder what could have been.

Having said all the above, and having met and chatted to QC (Quade Cooper) a number times since 2010, IMO it is not at all correct, fair or thoughtful to assume his probable move to Toulon is primarily $$$ driven. He could have left the Reds many times over since 2011 and earnt way, way more in the EU than here.

I have no direct evidence to relay, but I feel sure that his decision to leave will be with deep regret and will just as much be based upon:

- the Reds consistent decline as a team that plays rugby like it did in 2010-11 and the way QC (Quade Cooper) likes to play it - let's be real, that Reds rugby and playing-style identity, so clear and successful in 2011, has almost totally gone and today no one knows what 'brand' of rugby they believe in, or can execute ,or are committed to try to execute even

- the Reds collapse into becoming a very mediocre, poorly disciplined and very poorly coached QLD S15 team. QC (Quade Cooper) is a very proud footballer, he would hate what has become of the 2014-15 Reds in terms of non-success and a lot of the absurd bullshit to excuse it

- the micro-culture of RG. No open, constructive debate encouraged, QC (Quade Cooper) being demoted via the ridiculous decision to award a totally unproven player (as a rugby player) as team VC, etc, etc, it's all been documented here. The whole place team-wise is not a happy place, why would QC (Quade Cooper) of all people not be affected by this?

Let's all pay QC (Quade Cooper) the respect he deserves for what he has done for QLD rugby and the matured person we have seen him become and not ascribe all of his motives for departing to inadequate $s from the ARU or QRU or both.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Sad to see him go however I'm a little surprised that he has chosen Toulon, French rugby will probably end up like Spanish Soccer (Only two or three clubs with any real chance to win the premiership).

I think the Reds made a massive mistake in appointing Richard Graham

something

Jim Clark (26)
Might have to watch a bit of Toulon. QC (Quade Cooper) and Nonu combo would be pretty gnarly. As for the Reds I think I'm properly done for a bit, I don't mind losing, but i don't like losers. Enjoy 2016's backlash Carmichael and graham.

LRB

Stan Wickham (3)
Like several others here I am saddened by Quade's departure, however I completely understand why he would accept an overseas offer. As other posters have commented on, I have also witnessed the effort Quade makes for junior fans at games and this seems to be an aspect of his character that seems to be sadly overlooked.

Good luck with his future endeavours.

T

Tip

The greatest thing about Toulon is that they play the majority/all of their home games in the afternoon, so a 12 - 12:30am start isn't too bad.

Quade throwing flatballs to Nonu and the Big Bastard will be pretty damn effective

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I don't blame QC (Quade Cooper) at all, it's just a shame he's not going to the Broncos so I won't get to see him at Suncorp anymore. One of the best decisions I've made is to get my first Reds membership in 2011 and it was a pleasure to watch all the games - I'll always remember the 2011 Super Rugby season and the 2013 EOYT as the real Quade we all wish we saw more of.

Even if the Reds move on Richard Graham at this point my enthusiasm for supporting them next year is already dulled. I will still support them of course.. It just seems like this season has been a massive slap in the face to supporters, to their own players and to the administration's own hard work in getting the Reds to such a lofty position to start with. No one's face is left unslapped. The worst part is it's not like Richard Graham was the only option to succeed McKenzie - they took their time with that and had him established early.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
The greatest thing about Toulon is that they play the majority/all of their home games in the afternoon, so a 12 - 12:30am start isn't too bad.

Quade throwing flatballs to Nonu and the Big Bastard will be pretty damn effective
Is Git's retiring next year ? I'm honestly asking as I don't know..

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Finally found the need to register at G&G. Somewhere where my utter disappointment will be shared.

Thanks Quade. I'll be sure to check in on Toulon from time to time.

It was Barnes exit from the Reds in our darkest moments that forced me to join GAGR. Ewan started at the Reds a few weeks later. Let's hope this is our darkest moment and things will get better from here (although we still have half a season to get through)

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
The only solace is that from what I've heard Quade's Toulon deal is only two years, which would seem to suggest there's a chance he could come back to have a crack at RWC 2019.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Disappointing but most saw it coming.

Having met the bloke a long time before he pulled on a Reds jersey, I have to say I've been incredibly impressed with how he's matured over the years. He's copped a lot of unfair criticism but his service to QLD rugby is immeasurable. With any luck he'll return sometime in the future to an organisation that has managed to remove its head from its own ass.

I will definitely be watching Toulon more often and I hope he can remain injury-free as I have a feeling we may see him soar to new heights over there.

Unfortunately it's going to take a minor miracle now for the Reds to be competitive next season. Hanging onto Frisby must be #1 priority, even before dismissing Graham.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
With the new Wallabies eligibility rules will Cooper stay another year? Or can he get to 60 this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.