• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds v Sharks, Round 15 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
28bgnr7.jpg

Adam Thompson: $10 says you screw up Second half.

James O'Connor: You still owe me for my last screw ups.

Will Genia: Chill. Double or nothing.
that is not good body language from any of those three.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Very disappointed with many aspects of our performance tonight. Almost punched a tree walking home but the tree wasnt on the field and it would've hurt my knuckles more than the tree.
They could've fucking drawn it with a try at the death but they didn't even look interested in that.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Adam Thomson really doesn't look like he wants to be there. Seagulling on the wing a heap, fielded two kicks tonight and showed no effort trying to do any effort with bringing it back, gets in a high position way too often in contact.

This seagulling on the wing comment always amuses me. Only Australian teams have loose forwards who seagull. When Read, the best no 8 in the world (equal to Vermuelen IMO), appears regularly outside Conrad Smith running at top speed we all nod sagely and tell everyone how well he is playing. The NZ rugby team, the best team in the world, regularly send their 6 & 8 out to the tramlines because they are such good and powerful runners. So why, when mobile 6 & 8's on Australian teams do exactly the same thing its called seagulling and the player is called "lazy"?

Thompson, when he played for the Highlanders to universal acclamation, was always running wide. People marvelled that he couldn't get a regular gig for the Blicks he was playing so well. Now, he comes to an Australian team and is suddenly "disinterested" because he's running wide in attack.

Thompson has been less effective for the Reds because the whole team is playing a disorganised gameplan. He might "look like he doesn't want to be there" but IMO its got nothing to do with his application and everything to do with how he is being used/not used. The guy is a legend at Super level. You need to look at other reasons why he looks disinterested.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Reds losing is disappointing, but far out, Bismarck Du Plessis is awesome! He was instrumental in the Sharks win tonight.
I'm on an iPad so I can't copy and paste easy.... But my page 2 post warning against under rating any side with Bismark in it proved very relevant. Is he off contract next year? Swap JOC (James O'Connor) KH and use the Genia/Horwill cash on him!

And shrapnel for a new coach? Or Bismark capt/coach?

abcde

Peter Burge (5)
Thomson having issues tonight with his bf probably doesn't help his cause.. I don't think he's stepped up this year for the Reds.. Was better in the highlanders outfit purely because he was in that All Blacks mentality and environment, something you can't blood into an Aussie system.. Never a Read, at that, because I still don't rate his work around the park at breakdown and defence is just too high - a big factor in Read's game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
abcde said:
Thomson having issues tonight with his bf probably doesn't help his cause.. I don't think he's stepped up this year for the Reds.. Was better in the highlanders outfit purely because he was in that All Blacks mentality and environment, something you can't blood into an Aussie system.. Never a Read, at that, because I still don't rate his work around the park at breakdown and defence is just too high - a big factor in Read's game

What bullshit Thomsons put in a good fucking shift at 6 for a team that hasn't had there act together.. Of course it's no old school showing but his been one of the Reds best despite the rubbish dished up...

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
28bgnr7.jpg

Adam Thompson: $10 says you screw up Second half.

James O'Connor: You still owe me for my last screw ups.

Will Genia: Chill. Double or nothing.
James- I told you my kicking would get as a try
Will- Stay away if that is you're best
Adam- WTF, you both suck

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
How many of those runs were with "ample space"

I would ask just how much space do you want him to be handed before he should be expected to do something reminiscent of his very early days? He had as much space or more than most Super backs get when passed the ball but his impact is very poor atm.

I am firming in my opinion that the poor form being shown by players returning from the NH is evidence of the different standards of play in the two hemispheres. Or, alternatively, and being kinder to the players involved, maybe it just shows that a proper and substantial break is needed between playing in the North and coming home.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is a very odd kick. It doesnt really look like a mis hit.
Were there any betting plunges on the sharks?

OK I'll bite.
Looks like a shanked miss-kick to me. JOC (James O'Connor) worked hard to get into position to receive the pass (5/8 was down injured IIRC) after several phases. He was knackered and that led to the kick being made hurriedly with the inside of his boot, not on the laces or outside of the boot.
Not a justification - just an explanation of how pressure causes mistakes.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Absolutely dire cleanout work by the Reds forwards last night, really passive, no drive past the ball = Bismark has a field day
This.

I am surprised by the diffcerence between last week and this week in the urgency of the forwards. It was a vastly different display - lacked energy last night.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Took the words right out of my mouth. Except that I posted the same on page 1 I think.

Lots of posters now identifying the less than average kicking game by McIntyre also that I saw last week and all through last year's U20s. I know times are tough for the Reds, but having been in like times with the Brumbies I can be sure that the Reds will pullout of this bad time (but probably not until the coach is replaced - that's what seemed to do it for the Brumbies on at least two occasions.)

Reactions: gel

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Lots of posters now identifying the less than average kicking game by McIntyre also that I saw last week and all through last year's U20s.

However, he did have a consistent approach in both of his games to taking on the defensive line at speed. That is a plus compared to previous Reds 5/8s over the last 4-5 weeks.

something

Jim Clark (26)
someone said it earlier but why wasn't greene put on in the late stages of hte game. his point of difference is kicking and he imo would have relieved a lot of pressure for those tired bodies

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Took the words right out of my mouth. Except that I posted the same on page 1 I think.

Lots of posters now identifying the less than average kicking game by McIntyre also that I saw last week and all through last year's U20s. I know times are tough for the Reds, but having been in like times with the Brumbies I can be sure that the Reds will pullout of this bad time (but probably not until the coach is replaced - that's what seemed to do it for the Brumbies on at least two occasions.)
Is that likley, though?

I think the Brumbies as a high performance organisation are light-years ahead of the QRU. Their talent identification and ability to transform their acquisitions through to the elite level are unsurpassed in this country.

I would venture to suggest that the QRU are consistently the worst in those two areas.

In the professional era, I am wondering if the QRU are doomed to be consistent underperformers like the Lions and the McKenzie period just a positive blip.

On the upside, I think the QRU have transformed their business model into something that appears to be quite sustainable and Carmichael's goal to make the financial success of the organisation independent of the success of the reds appears to be working for the time being - something that the other franchises don't seem to have a handle on. I'd be pretty keen for him not to be so eager to test out that theory though.

Doesn't mean I cry out a comparison of the PBIT to the opposition on game day though.

T

Train Without a Station

He hardly got minutes in the NRC.

Clearly the coaches aren't sure Greene is up to this level yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.