• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Lions v Waratahs - Round 16, 30 May 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Talalelei GRAY played for the Beasties against the M2B on the weekend as #6 BSF.

It was his first game for the Beasties since 2 May (round 7) against the Woodies.

He may have missed rounds 8 and 9 due to minor injury.

That's good. I just looked at the team lists and he wasn't listed on the version I looked at.

I think in Round 8 he played for the Tahs (was that our game against the Force?).

If he's fit I'd assume he went with the squad to South Africa.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With a couple of piggies suspended, and a few others in Team Rehab, the Saffer tour will be a real test of the Tahs depth, and flexibility, both in terms of the roster and the game plans and strategies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
This is a real danger game with the Tahs.

At altitude, they're going to run out of steam late in the game, especially after such a big effort last week and jet lag.

Kicking game is a big weakness too, expect the Lions to pin the Tahs back all day and make them run it within range of 60m penalty kicks.

If Latu and Skelton are gone, scrum becomes a weakness against the Lions scrum, which is very good. Again, 60m penalty range.......

Lineouts as well, throwing may become an issue with a rookie in his first match, overseas etc

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
With the possibility of Chapman, Dennis and Hoiles all starting j don't think the line out will be an issue. My impression is that Roach is a better thrower than Latu and TPN but that's going from club footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
The Lions will have their tails up (intended pun) after their win over the Cheetahs.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jaco Peyper is the referee.

One of the assistant referees is Pro Legote. Here's what happened last time he was involved in a Tahs fixture.

South African referee Pro Legoete's days on SANZAR's refereeing panel for the remainder of the tournament could be coming to an end soon.

Legoete was at the centre of a dubious decision which saw Waratahs lock Pat O'Connor wrongfully red carded in last week's loss against the Bulls in Pretoria.

Legoete, who was an assistant referee in that match, called referee Craig Joubert and reported that O'Connor "head-butted" Bulls lock Flip van der Merwe.

Acting on Legoete's information, Joubert gave O'Connor his marching orders, but the Waratahs lock was later cleared of any wrong doing.

The incident occurred 15 minutes before the match ended with the Bulls leading 20-17 and although the Waratahs finished the match strongly - despite having only 14 men on the field - the Bulls landed another penalty to secure a 23-17 win.

SANZAR referees boss Lyndon Bray said the red card decision was reviewed and it was clearly wrong.

"There are two aspects which are frustrating. The description of the event was not very accurate. The process between the referee and the assistant referee was not good. It never fleshed out the details of the incident," he told The Australian.

"I've spoken to Craig Joubert about how he could have handled it better, to get better information on which to base his decision.

"Craig was very disappointed he ended up with that decision."

Bray believes Legoete did not communicate the nature of the offence accurately as he hesitated when pointing out the headbutt and he initially indicated that he did not think it was a red-card offence.

"Referees are prone to make mistakes all the time," said Bray.

"What we don't want is a mistake to be compounded by a process that is not good.

"An experienced referee's job is to pick up on messages he is getting. When Pro said no to a red card, clearly there was a message in that.

"It's difficult in the heat of the moment. Craig believed he was dealing with a headbutt.

"If they had talked through what happened, maybe they would have come up with a different outcome."

Legoete won't be in action in a Super Rugby match this weekend and Bray will decide soon whether to stand him down for the last round of the competition.

If Legoete is stood down it won't be the first time as he suffered a similar fate in March last year indefinitely.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
In Cheika's post match he said Mumm was meeting them in SA

My reply was about TPN and his concussion issues. IF he was to travel before Latu's suspension to give him more time, I'd hope they stick by that decision regardless of Latu's status.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
My reply was about TPN and his concussion issues. IF he was to travel before Latu's suspension to give him more time, I'd hope they stick by that decision regardless of Latu's status.

i think they might be aiming for a week earlier return. i'd rather see how roach goes this week, give the youngster his chance and let tpn stay rested. its better for him, the tahs and possibly the wobs to be cautious.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need to see how Roach performs as a starter and Porecki is no slouch either.

Roach's mobility will be a bonus against the Lions as well

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
With the possibility of Chapman, Dennis and Hoiles all starting j don't think the line out will be an issue. My impression is that Roach is a better thrower than Latu and TPN but that's going from club footy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would agree regarding the throwing(will probably come back to bite me) obviously Tolu and Tatafu's benefits are the physical nature they play the game.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Liiiions

15. Andries Coetzee
14. Ruan Combrinck
13. Lionel Mapoe
12. Harold Vorster
11. Courtnall Skosan
10. Elton Jantjies
9. Faf de Klerk
8. Warren Whiteley (c)
7. Warwick Tecklenburg
6. Jaco Kriel
5. Franco Mostert
4. Martin Muller
3. Julian Redelinghuys
2. Armand van der Merwe
1. Schalk van der Merwe

16. Malcolm Marx
17. Corne Fourie
18. Ruan Dreyer
19. Robert Kruger
20. Kwagga Smith
21. Ross Cronje
22. Marnitz Boshoff
23. Stokkies Hanekom

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wait. Kwagga Smith is a forward in the 15 man game?

According to Wikipedia he is 80kg. He is dynamite in 7s, but wow, he must be the smallest forward in Super Rugby.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The appeal was due to be heard Thursday. Anyone know what time the decision will be announced?

Status
Not open for further replies.