• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Reds 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
It is really difficult to be sure who did what specifically, but I imagine:

The Attack coach gave attack instructions which would be both forwards and backs in anything related to attack?

The Defence coach gave defence instructions which would be both forwards and backs in anything related to defence?

The Forwards coach gave forwards orientated instructions which I imagine was stuff not included in the above?

The Head coach gave head.

Boomtish.

something

Jim Clark (26)
as dasduke pointed out - the 'new' head coach (if there is to be one) will go into an establishment that he had no influence in creating.

If i were a good rugby coach, one with a good record / history - I'd be looking to stay the hell away from the Reds. It wreaks of cronyism, ignorance and directionless unpredictability.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I don't buy into the argument that the new HC won't have the ability to put in place their own "influence". Chances are, the attack and defensive coaches are on the way out as well. That gives the new head honcho plenty of moving room to have a say on who he wants to guide the guys in attack and defence.

More importantly, the staff that has been signed in the last couple of months (and in particular Stiles) will be needed to help the transition.

Ultimately, the blame and onus comes back to the HC, if a team isn't scoring tries or stopping them, their head is generally the first one on the chopping blocks. So, you would hope that your HC will have enough balls to tell the respective attack/defensive coaches that something isn't working and they're adapting to something new.

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
well the Attack coach is already confirmed as going, and the Head Coach is the defence coach so i guess we will find out after this report.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Clarkie dropped on twitter JOC (James O'Connor) heading back to Toulon? Is this right?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Gillys_ghost

Dave Cowper (27)
i think Toulon has said all along that hes signed for next year, but the reds disputed it. if hes signed for both there will be a bloody shitstorm.

T

TOCC

It will no doubt me mentioned in this forum, so tomorrow front page of the Sunday Mail will be an article on Karmichael Hunt in regards to what he told the investigators on the drug charges.

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
yep, and I'd also suggest the approach to the break down is driven by the broader game plan, ie what the HC wants them to do.

you including his time at Kubota Spears? Seems a pretty grand statement. What sort of stats do you have to back it up?

Basing that on Graham being the 3rd worst record of a head coach and Stiles being beside him the whole time (technically Stile's assistant record is worse than RG HC record as he spent more time at the Force).

Super Rugby sides with Stiles as an assistant have a 26.25% winning record.

Tony Rea's assistants have better records (Larkham and Harrison) as does Grey, Cockbain and Muggo who were under Hill. I guess technically Alex Sanderson has the worst record for his 1 year under Eddie.

His time as HC at UQ was a period of underperformance with an extremely strong team (52% win record) and Kubota finished mid-table 8, 6 & 6 during his time there.

At Kubota in his full seasons the Spears had a 48% winning record. He signed with Force in November 2010 and at that stage of Top League season Kubota had won 1 of 8. (42% career win in Japan).

The NRC is the one success he has had in terms of winning as a coach, avoiding Melbourne a second time and playing a team with a losing record in the final certainly helped. But results matter.

So if we look at every game he has been involved in post 2007 (pro and semi pro) his winning percentage is 35.7%.

I like Stiles, have played for him, but I think giving a promotion and 3 year deal isn't the right option with the other pieces not in place. Although as every day passes it looks like they already in place.

Cliffs:
I'm for keeping Stiles in the right environment but his "winning" percentages don't necessarily suggest he is the saviour.

UQ: 52%

Kubota: 42%

Super Rugby: 26.25%

NRC: 80%

Pro/Semi Pro: 35.7%

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
It will no doubt me mentioned in this forum, so tomorrow front page of the Sunday Mail will be an article on Karmichael Hunt in regards to what he told the investigators on the drug charges.

Paraphrasing from the font page it suggests Hunt has rolled over to police giving names of NRL & AFL players involved in use and supply, it will rock both codes.

This relates to this thread mainly bwcause I don't want him at the club in 2016. Sack him and funnel the money into keeping Cooper and some young guys. Oh hang on, the QRU burnt that bridge didn't they.

Rugger Mate

Allen Oxlade (6)
Paraphrasing from the font page it suggests Hunt has rolled over to police giving names of NRL & AFL players involved in use and supply, it will rock both codes.

This relates to this thread mainly bwcause I don't want him at the club in 2016. Sack him and funnel the money into keeping Cooper and some young guys. Oh hang on, the QRU burnt that bridge didn't they.
just finished reading about Khunts drug dribble. How the Reds can sanction the story and support this guy is interesting. This is not going to finish now as there probably be tit for tat from other sources re the Khunts version. Again should never been signed by the Reds and worse when they had the chance to break the contract the board decided it could rectify the problem ! bit like Richard Graham. Would of thought Reds could have done Without this headline

T

Train Without a Station

Strewthcobber your points on Stiles are quite valid. All would agree on the success of the set piece under him. But if this cannot be translated to winning games whilst teams with a poor set piece are winning, what is the benefit?

If he is responsible for the loose play of the forward he has had failings also.

But also, let's not forget that in the first half of the season we had significant set piece struggles when Holmes, Simmons and Horwill were all injured. I personally wasn't that impressed with the set piece work of some of the back up squad members.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

This relates to this thread mainly bwcause I don't want him at the club in 2016. Sack.
Without disagreeing with you in any way, Khunt must be absolutely thrilled that a confidential statement he made to police has ended up on the front page. How the hell does that happen?

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
I don't have a problem with Hunt, no problem giving the guy a second chance. The guy messed up, he's now owned up taken responsibility and is working with authorities.

Imagine if no one got a second chance anymore!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Without disagreeing with you in any way, Khunt must be absolutely thrilled that a confidential statement he made to police has ended up on the front page. How the hell does that happen?

It may not have been confidential in a strict sense. The police and prosecutors would surely have wanted to be able to use such a statement in whole or in part in open court as needed, and only in relatively rare cases would such testimony be formally suppressed by the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.