• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
As a NSW supporter there were 2 very frustrating games of rugby this afternoon.
NSW II had little or no game plan and the ball barely made it past the second man off the scrum. This tactic may have worked against lesser opposition earlier in the competition but was doomed to failure against the solid defence of QLD I.
Particularly when you take this option every time.
The wingers barely touched the ball.
At times it felt more like rugby league hit ups.
The frustration of the game was compounded by the incessant whistle of the referee who spent half the game with his hand in the air awarding penaties. I am struggling to remember a game with more penalties.
QLD I for their part were capable but far from outstanding.
They were consistently pushed back in the scrums despite 2 enormous props. Hard to fathom looking at the size of these 2 fellows. Something not firing correctly in the second row engine room perhaps.

And then we had NSW I against QLD II and the record for penalties set not one hour earlier was soundly beaten.
NSW were so frequently penalised they never established any momentum.
They won perhaps a little more convincingly than QLD I but the dominance predicted by some was in little evidence.

It should be a competitive game on Saturday I just hope for the sake of the crowd that we have a referee less in love with the sound of his whistle. A fast flowing game with minimal interruptions will allow all the boys to better showcase their skills and stake their claims.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
I'm putting my money on QLD 1. Will be a very close game. I can see most of the Aus schools players coming from N1 and Q1, backed up by N2 and Q2. Anyone think there will be any VIC or ACT selection? I know Jooste? is quite good for ACT.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
NSW II had little or no game plan and the ball barely made it past the second man off the scrum. This tactic may have worked against lesser opposition earlier in the competition but was doomed to failure against the solid defence of QLD I.
The frustration of the game was compounded by the incessant whistle of the referee who spent half the game with his hand in the air awarding penaties. I am struggling to remember a game with more penalties.
They were consistently pushed back in the scrums despite 2 enormous props. Hard to fathom looking at the size of these 2 fellows. Something not firing correctly in the second row engine room perhaps.

And then we had NSW I against QLD II and the record for penalties set not one hour earlier was soundly beaten.
They won perhaps a little more convincingly than QLD I but the dominance predicted by some was in little evidence.

It should be a competitive game on Saturday I just hope for the sake of the crowd that we have a referee less in love with the sound of his whistle. A fast flowing game with minimal interruptions will allow all the boys to better showcase their skills and stake their claims.

Agreed, could be a second row issue. QLD 1 have their premier Aus schools lock Reece Hewat at number 8 this year. If this issue persists with the Aus schools team this year, then putting Hewat back in the second row and having Lachlan Anderson at 8 would be a good decision.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
I'm putting my money on QLD 1. Will be a very close game. I can see most of the Aus schools players coming from N1 and Q1, backed up by N2 and Q2. Anyone think there will be any VIC or ACT selection? I know Jooste? is quite good for ACT.

Can't see QLD winning Derick.
They will struggle in the scrums and the NSW backline is a classier outfit.
My prediction NSW by 15 points with QLD fighting to the final whistle.......unless of course we are blessed with another one eyed referee from Brisbane......;)

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Agreed, could be a second row issue. QLD 1 have their premier Aus schools lock Reece Hewat at number 8 this year. If this issue persists with the Aus schools team this year, then putting Hewat back in the second row and having Lachlan Anderson at 8 would be a good decision.

Hewat a little on the small side.
Had a solid game but nothing special today.
I would play the NSW 2nd row Pirrodi and McCauley who have been a powerful force in the set pieces in the trials and pool matches. A bit more size and grunt will be important. Australian teams have been poor at the set piece in recent years.
Brutally exposed at the U20 championships recently.

Deerhunter007

Frank Nicholson (4)
Nsw 2 v Qld 1.
I had the penalty count at 10-1 against NSW 2 at half time. Agree with above comments re the ref and persistent whistle blowing. Second half not much better. NSW dominated the scrums but their line out we're poor and generally played well below their potential or best. Far too many errors, dropped ball etc and didn't show anything in attack.
Well done to QLD 1 on their win. They deserved it.

T.caroll

Frank Row (1)

What about number 15 and 5 for vic? They're big stand outs in the team

The Guru

Fred Wood (13)
I would play the NSW 2nd row Pirrodi and McCauley who have been a powerful force in the set pieces in the trials and pool matches. A bit more size and grunt will be important. Australian teams have been poor at the set piece in recent years.

could not agree more .
aussie under 20 scrum was woeful.

sidestep

Frank Row (1)

Totally agree with the above assessment of the two NSW games today.
NSWI V QldII game was a stop start affair neither team really getting into a rhythm. Lets hope the whistle blowers establish what they want to see early in the game so the boys can play some flowing attacking rugby.

In the NSWII game against quality opposition the lack of a strike player/players in the centres was clearly evident. The early withdrawal of first choice centres Hawkins & Lough was always going to be a challenge as the tournament progressed. Tries scored by the NSWIIs in earlier games either came from individual efforts or creative decision making from the halves. Their defensive effort against a persistent QldI attack and equally consistent penalty count is to be commended.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)

On the small side? Hewat is around the same size as Pirrodi is I'm pretty sure. He was also a solid set piece in the Aus schools team last year, scored a couple of tries if I remember correctly. We'll see anyway in the finals.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
On the small side? Hewat is around the same size as Pirrodi is I'm pretty sure. He was also a solid set piece in the Aus schools team last year, scored a couple of tries if I remember correctly. We'll see anyway in the finals.

He may be Derick.
Apologies if I am wrong.
Deceptive, he doesn't look as tall or solid as Pirrodi.
Will be more evident Saturday.
No doubting his ability it was his size I was questioning.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
He may be Derick.
Apologies if I am wrong.
Deceptive, he doesn't look as tall or solid as Pirrodi.
Will be more evident Saturday.
No doubting his ability it was his size I was questioning.

Awkward question but I don't suppose you know the height and weight Pirrodi is? I've heard he is quite a giant but from looking at his Newington rugby photos he looks deceptively small. Perhaps it's a photo thing.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
Awkward question but I don't suppose you know the height and weight Pirrodi is? I've heard he is quite a giant but from looking at his Newington rugby photos he looks deceptively small. Perhaps it's a photo thing.

That'll be it Derick....well spotted.
Photos are rarely life size....you are barely 2 cms tall on my screen...can I take it from the blue shirt that you will be supporting NSW on saturday...:)

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
Hewat a little small as a lock I agree but no8 or 6 more his role . But what is a super game he had 4 steals as a 8 today couple of line busts some good tackles and a significant line break to off load for qld to score a try and kept his troops in order Nsw 1 do have a big set 2nd row but not very smart nice to have 2 big boys but need to know there roles they thought they where big and bash everyone but still need to be a bit savy about the game so I'm not sure Hewat is going for 4 or 5 but 8 most likely but watch the small things he does that makes a complete player in my opinion ?

Natal shark

Peter Burge (5)
why play a natural no 8 at lock when he can play 4,5,6,7 or 8 where he deserves last 2 years he's played out of position and he hasn't been supposedly amazing yhis tournament but can't really much others from NSW 1 or 2 so show what I'm missing ?

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Any predictions from 1 to 15 for the Aus schools team?

I'm not in any position to justify this team but I think it will be close.

1. Harry Johnston-Holmes - N1
2. Tom Horton - N1
3. Gavin Luka - Q1
4. Ryan Mccaughly - N1
5. Tom Pirrodi - N1
6. Nathaniel Gittoes - N1
7. Angus Allen - Q1
8. Reece Hewat - Q1
9. Harrison Goddard - N1
10. Jack McGregor - N1
11. Dylan Riley - Q1
12. Daniel England - N1