• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
Give the kid a go I say. If he's there best 1/2 then whats going on? Put him behind a good forward pack and watch him relish. The 9 they got is pretty slow in terms of service. Were these the same coaches as last year? Looks like the same results as last year.
I think until such time as a Vic side can knock of a Nsw 2 or a Qld 2 and then maybe compete a lot better against the top sides, we will continue to see the same results and same selections.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
<snip>
Poor HJ bore the brunt of an unhappy rant from me yesterday after I had a chance to see the NSW1-WA game. <snip>
And it was a quality rant and honest analysis and appraisal too. Schoolboy footy is cyclical.

Possible Smokies:
WA: Jooste.
Vic: Leota, Clarken. Coward (15) plays an exciting and unpredictable form of attack but when caught (and he will be by the NZers) he will get rag dolled. He could also be more effective in defence. Not sure the Selectors will take that chance.
ACT: Solid enough team effort, and while no individual particularly caught my eye, one will be one chosen.
CS: McReight. He is behind some quality 7's but look out for this lad next year.

The bulk of the Schoolboy team will come from N1 and Q1, and rightly so. As N2 were a little underdone at the selection table in 2014, I think there will be some disappointed folk in the Q2 camp this year, although there will be the Aust Schools Barbars selection to compensate this year.

N2 is weaker than previous years N2's, particularly in the double digits. Q2 is stronger than 2014 Q2 were. Q1 are significantly stronger than Q1 were in 2014 or 2013 even though their scrum is horrible. N1 is stronger than last year and similar to the 2013 version.
ACT seem weaker than 2014 and 2013 ACT. VIC lack a bit of size but are probably marginally better than last years team. CS haven't knitted together as well as previously, and we usually see their best on the last day.

There is a lot of debate on the several threads about the relative merits of Pocock and Hooper, and some punters have suggested that we should run both Pocock and Hooper. Both N1 and N2 tried similar combinations and IMHO failed. Teams need physically imposing players at 6 and 8, and Q1 have probably got the loose forward balance right.

The Under 19 law variations do not favour or reward dominant scrums, and this was used to Q1 advantage yesterday. There seems to be an unfortunate flow on into the international game where ball playing runners seem to get the nod over pot plant strongmen for the 1, 3, 17 and 18 guernsey.

Yeah sometimes you wish these selectors would take of there goggles and pick a wild card. Give them a chance I say. Whats the worst that could happen?
Getting pantsed by The Darkness. Good preparation for later life in the Wallabies.

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
The Under 19 law variations do not favour or reward dominant scrums, and this was used to Q1 advantage yesterday. There seems to be an unfortunate flow on into the international game where ball playing runners seem to get the nod over pot plant strongmen for the 1, 3, 17 and 18 guernsey.

Getting pantsed by The Darkness. Good preparation for later life in the Wallabies.

The one metre rule is pretty horrible. I've seen some completely dominant scrums, particularly in colts, be completely nullified. Many previous age group reps also seem to have a problem at club level when scrumaging outside of schoolboys and colts as their technique doesn't seem up to it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yeah sometimes you wish these selectors would take of there goggles and pick a wild card. Give them a chance I say. Whats the worst that could happen?

With 1 post you're showing your rookie status: seldom does a year go by in which there isn't a wild card - a smokie as HJ calls them.
Pounds to peanuts there'll be one this year and there'll be whingeing that its the wrong one or that he's not as good as blokes left out of Q2 or NSW 2.
Guarantee it - hell, I may even be the one whingeing if I can get down there early enough on Saturday.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
The one metre rule is pretty horrible. I've seen some completely dominant scrums, particularly in colts, be completely nullified. Many previous age group reps also seem to have a problem at club level when scrumaging outside of schoolboys and colts as their technique doesn't seem up to it.

Not sure that I agree that the one meter rule nullifies a completely dominant scrum. Anyone that's been on the receiving end of a scrummaging lesson in open school boys/U19's will know that the constant back peddling (even if it's a meter) usually has a flow on effect on the opposition forwards both mentally and physically. The domination is not nullified completely it just takes a little longer for the dominant pack to get the upper hand from that particular set piece.

With pack weights in open school boys /U19's mostly over the 700 kg mark I think the one meter law is an appropriate safety valve albeit a temporary one for smaller or less technically adept packs.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
appropriate for village or school 1stXV yes
this national comp is meant to be a display development opportunity for adept players

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
appropriate for village or school 1stXV yes
this national comp is meant to be a display development opportunity for adept players

These are boys who are coming out of 18 years of not being allowed to scrummage fully and who would never have scrummaged fully prior to this comp if your desired laws applied.
When would they learn the dark arts - in the week between NSW trials and the national comp?
BTW - just to make the refs job as difficult as possible it is 1.5m

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
Putting the safety valve for smaller packs argument aside for a moment; the nationals comprises only/mostly school first XV players who I'd suggest are all technically adept but lack the cohesion of packs that play together regularly.

As the nationals are effectively the selection trials for the Aus schoolboys team what valuable insight do the selectors get by seeing an opposition scrum get marched back back beyond one meter when dominance has already clearly been established?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Good call @Happy to Chat. I had QLD 9 in my notes but when compiling the report I simply looked at the wrong team in the programme to get the players name.

The article should refer to Lenac. I am sure that the post will be edited soon.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Correct me if I'm wrong (it's been a few years since I burnished a whistle) but doesn't the Oz under 19 Law allow scums to move 1.5 metres, not 1 metre?

oversline01

Frank Row (1)
The referees at the tournament are top notch. They can only adjudicate on what the players do.

If players continually infringe, the Referee will continually blow.

With so many ruck infringements from NSW I, I was surprised that the main repeat offender wasn't shown a Yellow Card.
They didn't referee the tackler very well!

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

rugby4life

Frank Row (1)
Good call @Happy to Chat. I had QLD 9 in my notes but when compiling the report I simply looked at the wrong team in the programme to get the players name.

The article should refer to Lenac. I am sure that the post will be edited soon.
Yes. I was at that game also. Thought the No.9 controlled the game. Good solid scrum half I thought.qld 7 was also a standout imo.
Will be a very interesting matchup between the qld1 and nsw1 halfback as well as a couple of the other key positions. Was told it had been a few years since a qld and nsw final. Looking forward to a great day of rugby.

sarcophilus

Charlie Fox (21)
you are right
and what do we learn from watching accomplished goal kickers kick penalties from in front
stop goal kicks being taken from within 20 by anyone with a number over 3 its not fair.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
you are right
and what do we learn from watching accomplished goal kickers kick penalties from in front
stop goal kicks being taken from within 20 by anyone with a number over 3 its not fair.
Good theory. A lot of time in front of the selectors is wasted during the 90 seconds allowable for a kicker to take their shot at goal. However... ... ... The unintended consequence of this will be lazy forwards not releasing the ball or the tackler or staying offside - doing whatever it takes to stop the advancing enemy because there are no 3 point consequences.

Yellow card the repeat offenders then? This is likely to end up with teams playing 12 and 13 aside. Players will still take their chances to stop or slow down the other teams momentum, and they will get more desperate the fewer players that they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.