• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Australian Schoolboys & National Championships 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
9mins highlights of Qld I defeating NSW II.
Thankyou for posting this. Honestly, recording in HD and then uploading to YT is a heck of a lot better than the crappy livestream.

Great footage, Ngamanu was on fire. He's a sure fire for the Aus 15 jersey. Hewat was looking good too, as was Kalala Meni at 6.

NSW dominated the scrum though, I'm thinking the QLD locks aren't so good.

GSP

Fred Wood (13)

Thankyou for posting this. Honestly, recording in HD and then uploading to YT is a heck of a lot better than the crappy livestream.

Great footage, Ngamanu was on fire. He's a sure fire for the Aus 15 jersey. Hewat was looking good too, as was Kalala Meni at 6.

NSW dominated the scrum though, I'm thinking the QLD locks aren't so good.

100% correct

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
I'm not in any position to justify this team but I think it will be close.

1. Harry Johnston-Holmes - N1
2. Tom Horton - N1
3. Gavin Luka - Q1
4. Ryan Mccaughly - N1
5. Tom Pirrodi - N1
6. Nathaniel Gittoes - N1
7. Angus Allen - Q1
8. Reece Hewat - Q1
9. Harrison Goddard - N1
10. Jack McGregor - N1
11. Dylan Riley - Q1
12. Daniel England - N1
13. Simon Kenewall - N1
14. Sepesa Loga-Tarogi - N1
15. Jayden Ngamanu - Q1

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
There were wraps on 15 & 5 from Vic. Watching 5 he'd be a big chance, some say very unlucky not to make it last year. 15 has done some good things with ball in hand, good pace but defensively not so good. Misses to many first up tackles. Will make a good 7's player. Any from Act or Wa? I would like to see how some of these pre selected boys from Nsw or Qld would go in a not so strong side and vice versa. Some boys just need an opportunity. Good luck to all though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure what "pre-selected" means: these are the selections of some "monday quarterbacks".
There seems to be a fairly wide divergence in the standards of the Div I teams so presumably the kids get a chance in that context when they play a relatively weaker opponent.
There is a theory that playing in a weaker side actually helps a strong kid because the difference is more obvious.
I wouldn't be too worried about it there'll be some bolters from outside Q1 and NSW 1 - the question will then be whether they are the right bolters: and on that topic I anticipate unanimous disagreement.

Wristman

Alfred Walker (16)
There will be some interesting match ups tomorrow.
From the top.
The front row from QLD 1 didn't go well at the set piece yesterday given their scrum was going backwards. Hard to work out if it is their doing or a lack of grunt from the second row engine room. I suspect the latter.
Numbers 7 is still very open in my mind.
Smith is a quality player.
His work rate and speed around the park is unmatched. Yesterdays report from the Spaceman had him best on field. He consistently puts pressure on the opposition. Allen had a good game but didn't impress as much.
With size and weight in the tight 5 and at 6 and 8 you can afford to play an out and out speedster such as Smith.
Full back is a tough shoot out.
Tom Wright a hugely talented footballer who is hard to leave out of a starting 15.
Saw glimpses yesterday of Ngamanu's talent but not yet convinced he should get the nod over Wright.
What your list leaves out are players from all the other teams.
Haven't seen all the matches so hard to comment but there will be individuals that deserve selection.

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
I'm not in any position to justify this team but I think it will be close.

1. Harry Johnston-Holmes - N1
2. ???????
3. ???????
4. Ryan Mccaughly - N1
5. Darcy Taimua-Swain - Q1
6. Kalala Meni - Q1
7. ???????
8. Reece Hewat - Q1
9. Harrison Goddard - N1
10. Jack McGregor - N1
11. Dylan Riley - Q1
12. ???????
13. Simon Kennerwell - N1
14. Sepesa Loga-Tarogi - N1
15. Tom Wright - N1

Fixed

RR2014

Bob McCowan (2)
Well it has been a while been traveling and looking forward to getting down to watch the games tomorrow. Looks as though all the G&G experts have the team picked and it is all NSW and Qld. There was no other states where a player or 2 is not good enough? Maybe time to take the Reds and Tah colored glasses off and look independently at other players. I look forward to see tomorrow how the 10 from WA goes, the 5 and 15 go from Vic as well as the ACT and Combined States teams go after reading the other reports and the daily reports and see if they were in the Qld or NSW sides were they as good if not better. It is like independent shoulder said there will be some disagreements no matter what the selectors do when the teams are selected tomorrow.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
Well it has been a while been traveling and looking forward to getting down to watch the games tomorrow. Looks as though all the G&G experts have the team picked and it is all NSW and Qld. There was no other states where a player or 2 is not good enough? Maybe time to take the Reds and Tah colored glasses off and look independently at other players. I look forward to see tomorrow how the 10 from WA goes, the 5 and 15 go from Vic as well as the ACT and Combined States teams go after reading the other reports and the daily reports and see if they were in the Qld or NSW sides were they as good if not better. It is like independent shoulder said there will be some disagreements no matter what the selectors do when the teams are selected tomorrow.

It is hard to consider other players from other states as they have been so comprehensively beaten by NSW and QLD. What it means is that the individual player has to displace the first choice players (and second choice players in 2s) from the two strongest rugby states to have a look in. Not impossible but harder and we all only know "our boys".

I did see the Vics play and liked the 15 but he needs to outplay Wright or the Qld 1 fullback. Maybe a shadow or Barbarian. As for the 5 from Vic, had the physicality but not the fitness when he played against NSW 1. As for WA, sadly they had nothing this year. The scores were far closer last year. 76-0 is not a score anyone wants to see at this level.

T.caroll

Frank Row (1)
It is hard to consider other players from other states as they have been so comprehensively beaten by NSW and QLD. What it means is that the individual player has to displace the first choice players (and second choice players in 2s) from the two strongest rugby states to have a look in. Not impossible but harder and we all only know "our boys".

I did see the Vics play and liked the 15 but he needs to outplay Wright or the Qld 1 fullback. Maybe a shadow or Barbarian. As for the 5 from Vic, had the physicality but not the fitness when he played against NSW 1. As for WA, sadly they had nothing this year. The scores were far closer last year. 76-0 is not a score anyone wants to see at this level.

Talk from vic supporters is that 15 is usually a half back...this is his first time playing fullback
Pretty stupid for the vic coaches to throw their best half back into a position he's never played before but I guess that shows selectors his versatility

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
Is it versatility or denying him a shot at 1/2. The kid gave goodard a run for his money. The only issue I see is his defence. He always jersey pulls. First up tackles is a must. Is there any rumour to the fact there best centre was dropped prior to the tournament? I heard he was there best centre for the whole of JGC?

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)

Agree it is harder to see the 1 or 2 quality players in a struggling team but the selectors have plenty of experience and I suspect have some intel on who to be watching before the tournament starts.

As for WA, sadly they had nothing this year. The scores were far closer last year. 76-0 is not a score anyone wants to see at this level.

Poor HJ bore the brunt of an unhappy rant from me yesterday after I had a chance to see the NSW1-WA game. The WA boys would not have been happy with that effort, particularly in terms of defensive organisation. 76-0 is well below what the team is capable of.

Judging by the first half against Vic (all that has been posted on you tube so far) there was a much better performance yesterday, although both teams looked a little tired and flat. Jooste seemed a little down yesterday but I rate him as the only real WA prospect for higher honours at this stage.

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
Yeah sometimes you wish these selectors would take of there goggles and pick a wild card. Give them a chance I say. Whats the worst that could happen?

T.caroll

Frank Row (1)
Is it versatility or denying him a shot at 1/2. The kid gave goodard a run for his money. The only issue I see is his defence. He always jersey pulls. First up tackles is a must. Is there any rumour to the fact there best centre was dropped prior to the tournament? I heard he was there best centre for the whole of JGC?

Your probably right about him being denied a shot at half. The thing about his defence is that he's a back not a forward yet he still manages to take down the bigger guys. It would be interesting to see him play in a side such as Queensland or NSW with a better forward pack and defensive support.
Yeah I heard the centre that got dropped also got player of the tournament but still missed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.