• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes, I stand by reasoning for why Mumm shouldn't be there. It's Rocky Elsom all over again. I was against that for the same reason. I'm happy to agree to disagree on that front because I am firm on my view.

I think you are a bit wrong to bundle Horwill into either of those two groups. He is capable of fitting both briefs in the style he plays. With this capability and his level of experience he is the one to fit the head jumper/lineout general brief in the event of Simmons going down. The catch is to see his previous form in the Wallaby jersey return.

Dennis I see as very handy. I like the way he has played this year. He doesn't fit the brief for a starting lock but a bloke who can play, 6,8 and 4 with a tight style of game bodes well for a handy bench option.

I understand your opinion on Mumm but I don't agree. Just because Elsom didn't work out doesn't mean it will never work. George Smith wasn't bad till he got concussed.

Horwill, on his form this year, is out there in a category called "brain explosion", a category usually inhabited only by backs. The last time he played to his best form was three years ago. That's way too long to get any credit. He was not good this year even when he was on the field. In the big match-up in the last round against the Tahs I thought he was anonymous.

Maybe Dennis gets points for being able to play like Fardy at 6 if required. But he loses a bag of points for being in charge of the Waratahs lineout. It varied from below average to a clusterfuck all year and he was its boss. So he would not make my squad as a jumper.

Teams usually play with a bruiser second rower and a jumping second rower. Think Botha and Matfield, Eales and Morgan/Giffen etc. Its unusual to have two bruiser/jumpers though Whitelock and Retallic are close. But then NZ's primary jumper is Read. They do some things differently over the ditch.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The thing with Cummins is he doesn't need to do a lot to get back to his best. Cummins doesn't have the silky skills, all he has is guts, determination and a health disregard for self preservation. He works best when he can stay in his 5m channel and barnstorm.

If he can get back on the end of a decent backline and get fired up emotionally in the Wallaby squad, he won't let us down if called upon.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I just think that the NRC running while the tests are on is a very good thing. It means blokes can rehab or play themselves into form somewhere other than on the training track.

T

Train Without a Station

Hawko again you show how little most people regard the set piece. The Waratahs line out was demolished and they were also outdone in the scrum and apparently a lock was anonymous. Who do you think was pushing in the scrum and putting pressure on the line out?

Players certainly come across pretty anonymous when you ignore half of what they do.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I just think that the NRC running while the tests are on is a very good thing. It means blokes can rehab or play themselves into form somewhere other than on the training track.

Oh, I agree it's good. I just see it unlikely that someone would be played out of the squad by someone in NRC, is all.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hawko again you show how little most people regard the set piece. The Waratahs line out was demolished and they were also outdone in the scrum and apparently a lock was anonymous. Who do you think was pushing in the scrum and putting pressure on the line out?

Players certainly come across pretty anonymous when you ignore half of what they do.

I don't rate the Tah lineout so Horwill doesn't get many points for that. He gets some for pushing in the scrum, along with his mates. But that's not enough, everywhere else the Tahs clobbered the Reds and for me Horwill did not stand up.

Everyone's got a different opinion and that's fine. Wouldn't be a forum if we all thought the same.

T

Train Without a Station

Your summation of his short comings are correct. But my point is that only the loose play is considered when assessing the forms of players.

The strength of the Waratahs line out is irrelevant. Saying dominating them doesn't count because they aren't strong there is like me saying the Reds have been weak in open play, so no Waratahs getting any points for playing good.

Players need to be assessed on the entirety of their position's role. Now my point is in a team that dominated the set piece, how can a tight forward have been anonymous in the game? He can if you don't consider the set piece when assessing the performance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It seems strange that they bothered replacing Speight seeing as he is suspended for the first two tests anyway.

You'd think he would return by the time he becomes available.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Apparently this initial squad is just for the first two tests, so I assume it will be reduced later and Speight included..........

In the meantime Cummins will fill in for opposed training sessions.........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The first round of the NRC is August 20-22. The RWC squad is announced on August 31. No one will playing themselves into the squad via the NRC.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Cummins is clearly at the end of a long list of wingers. But I'm happy with the decision to bring him into the extended squad. His attitude and commitment should have a positive effect on the squad, even though he'll be defending in the opposing sessions most of the time.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The article i read today about JOC (James O'Connor) being put in a special strength and conditions program has me confused as to whether he's still a genuine selection chance.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I read this team for the AB's game against Western Samoa.
Good side, gee how many test caps there.
Imagine how good it would be if we had the luxury of having a Brodie Retallick on the bench.
Another quality 19 on the bench in Colin Slade.
1. Tony Woodcock (110)
2. Keven Mealamu (123)
3. Owen Franks (67)
4. Luke Romano (17)
5. Samuel Whitelock (62)
6. Jerome Kaino (56)
7. Richie McCaw - captain (137)
8. Kieran Read (72)
9. Andy Ellis (26)
10. Daniel Carter (102)
11. Charles Piutau (14)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (23)
13. Ryan Crotty (13)
14. George Moala
15. Israel Dagg (46)
Reserves:
16. Hikawera Elliot (3)
17. Wyatt Crockett (36)
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Brodie Retallick (36)
20. Matt Todd (2)
21. Brad Weber
22. Colin Slade (17)
23. Charlie Ngatai

Incredible. That pack is straight out of 2011.

Then I read this

Pleased to see such a strong team despite 17 All Blacks from the Highlanders and Hurricanes being unavailable.

Seriously, that is just showing off.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I read this team for the AB's game against Western Samoa.
Good side, gee how many test caps there.
Imagine how good it would be if we had the luxury of having a Brodie Retallick on the bench.
Another quality 19 on the bench in Colin Slade.

Then I read this

Seriously, that is just showing off.

Andy Ellis, Moala, Slade and Dagg are craps. The Kiwis who aren't Saders supporters hate Izzy Dagg. Luke Romano is average.

In this team there are 3 players that I would like for the Wallabies XV: Owen Franks, Brodie Retallick and Kieran Read. They would make a difference at the Wallabies starting XV. I had chosen McCaw and Carter 3 years ago

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Apparently this initial squad is just for the first two tests, so I assume it will be reduced later and Speight included....

In the meantime Cummins will fill in for opposed training sessions...
Correct. There are 18 backs so it would be a reasonable assumption that they are training as 3 x 6. Hence a replacement was required for speight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Andy Ellis, Moala, Slade and Dagg are craps. The Kiwis who aren't Saders supporters hate Izzy Dagg. Luke Romano is average.

In this team there are 3 players that I would like for the Wallabies XV: Owen Franks, Brodie Retallick and Kieran Read. They would make a difference at the Wallabies starting XV. I had chosen McCaw and Carter 3 years ago
Slade has been better than all but Sopoanga this season. Does virtually everything right. Probably be starting 10 for everyone else except the Irish and maybe the Poms.

Kaino would beat all comers at 6 or 8 for the Wallabies. And Whitelock would be just as valuable as Retallick would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.