• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
@Gnostic

whilst I agree we need better skills training, I disagree with this "ARU should do this" "ARU should do that" stuff

We have big squads in S15 mode for most of the year, just what do they do all year?

I know when Link tried do implement some stuff, it took quite a while for some players to stop f*cking about and focus on the simple stuff instead of wanting to chuck a cut out pass

This issue is the different game plans and skills coaching for those plans. The Franchises concentrate totally on those aspects of play to the exclusion of all others and hence the players never get upskilled in other areas. Look at the Force for instance or the Tahs when Hickey/Foley were in charge.

My argument is that if the Wallabies wish to play a complete brand of Rugby that is able to do more than play a certain limited style the players need the skills to do it. They will not get that from the Franchises system which is focussed directly and only on their short term success.

Why bother having an ARU HPU at all if they are not going to seek to improve the base skills of our players. And yes I argue that the HPU has done SWFA in that department for the better part of a decade or longer.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Mumm is back in Australia to play for at least the next two years. To say he is not eligible for the RWC is in my view unfair. He meets the laid-down criteria, so why the big whinge.
Has he extended his contract? When he first arrived it was reported he was only on a one year contract for 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Mumm is back in Australia to play for at least the next two years. To say he is not eligible for the RWC is in my view unfair. He meets the laid-down criteria, so why the big whinge.

Had Cheika chosen Simmons, Mumm and Jones as the three jumping locks would you be as upset? Maybe not. In my view Dennis is the jumping lock who has not done enough for selection; and had Jones taken his place I would have been very happy.

Of the bruiser locks Skelton and Arnold look good to me and it was either Coleman or Horwill as the third, with Horwill getting there on experience. Neither have played nearly well enough and I think that injury has cruelled the chances of Lousi and Carter, who would have been fighting for the third bruiser lock position until injury struck.

Yes, I stand by reasoning for why Mumm shouldn't be there. It's Rocky Elsom all over again. I was against that for the same reason. I'm happy to agree to disagree on that front because I am firm on my view.

I think you are a bit wrong to bundle Horwill into either of those two groups. He is capable of fitting both briefs in the style he plays. With this capability and his level of experience he is the one to fit the head jumper/lineout general brief in the event of Simmons going down. The catch is to see his previous form in the Wallaby jersey return.

Dennis I see as very handy. I like the way he has played this year. He doesn't fit the brief for a starting lock but a bloke who can play, 6,8 and 4 with a tight style of game bodes well for a handy bench option.

Covering all bases, I see Skelton, Simmons and Horwill as the main locks in the mix. I would have loved to see home talent like Jones and Coleman exposed at very least to the squad environment. For this reason and the same versatility that Dennis offers I would have like to see Tamani in the mix. Expose these blokes and give them the opportunity to take their good form to the next level. Nothing but good can come from that.

T

TOCC

There was a reason that no one was surprised when Cummins missed the initial squad, because his 2015 form has been poor.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It seems strange that they bothered replacing Speight seeing as he is suspended for the first two tests anyway.

You'd think he would return by the time he becomes available.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I agree. This is probably just a way of getting a guy who performed well last year into the environment to see if he can be got back to that level, get a closer look at him. Can't hurt, I guess. That's my theory anyway.
Certainly, his form this year doesn't dictate selection.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu

4. Skelton
5. Jones

6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Higginbotham

9. Phibbs
10. Cooper

11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. TPN
18. Holmes

19. Simmons
20. McCalman
21. Hooper

22. Giteau/Genia
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Thoughts?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Kepu

4. Skelton
5. Jones

6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Higginbotham

9. Phibbs
10. Cooper

11. Speight
12. To'omua
13. Kurindrani
14. O'Connor
15. Folau

16. Sio
17. TPN
18. Holmes

19. Simmons
20. McCalman
21. Hooper

22. Giteau/Genia
23. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Thoughts?

I think you haven't kept up with recent events!
Jones - not in squad
Phibbs - plays for Randwick
Speight - currently on compassionate leave.
Granted, things might change over the next couple of months, but I'll wager Patrick Phibbs doesn't get a call-up.

Getwithme

Cyril Towers (30)
I think you haven't kept up with recent events!
Jones - not in squad
Phibbs - plays for Randwick
Speight - currently on compassionate leave.
Granted, things might change over the next couple of months, but I'll wager Patrick Phibbs doesn't get a call-up.

This is not the RC team... The optimum 23 players for the 2015 RWC!

Status
Not open for further replies.