• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
Probably agree. Would be nice though. It would be nice to reward these young men, who are ticking all the boxes. Would hate to see him leave. If they can relocate and give some of these blokes 2nd 3rd or 4th chances, I'm sure they could chance there arm with a pathway player, which wouldn't cost as much. Just saying!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
He's 18 years old for christ's sake. He's not going anywhere. We'll probably sign at least 1 Victorian based player from the NRC, because we've got 8 spots to fill, but it's worth waiting because the liklihood of someone being signed is minimal.

on the outside

Bob McCowan (2)
Only time will tell. He keeps getting told to wait, wait. For what. Strong rumours say he's been looked at from the Reds and Act. How old was Jonah Placid when the Rebels signed him? Just saying!

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
it means he's not a foreign marquee player. Not currently eligible to play for Australia but may once he's stayed here long enough, ala Speight.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

Right surname. Wrong first name.

Culum, however is no slug.

With A Thompson there as well, is that the "foreigners" quota filled for the Rebels now?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Another quality signing for mine. More experience in the pack. Not necessarily international quality, but he's spent a long time in the ITM Cup and Kiwi Super sides, and should help with providing experience lost from blokes like Higgers and Burgess, as well as making sure blokes like Jeffries and Cummins earn their spots. After these two signings we've got 28 players and based on 35 player squads, we need 7 more. With a best 23 then rest of the squad set-up:

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. Colby Fainga'a
8. Adam Thompson
9. Nic Stirzaker
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Sefanaia Naivalu
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Dom Shipperly
15. Mike Harris

16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah-Nau
18. Tim Metcher
19. Callum Retallick
20. Jordy Reid
21. Ben Meehan
22. Tom English
23. Cam Crawford

24. Siliva Siliva
25. Sam Jeffries
26. Steve Cummins
27. Scott Fuglistaller
28. Jonah Placid

So I reckon we need to sign:

29. Loosehead prop
30. Tighthead Prop
31. Lock/Blindside/Number 8
32. Scrum Half
33. Fly half
34. Center/Wing
35. Back

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
looking at the current list Inagaki is still on it for 2016

*snip

Inagaki was on a one year deal for 2015. I imagine Eddie would be pretty keen to get him for next year and he would be pretty much a certain starter for the Japan team. You never know though, Panasonic might prefer he played for the Rebels?

Scooter

John Solomon (38)
Ex-Rebel Telusa Veainu made his test debut for Tonga on the weekend v Fiji in the Pacific Nations Cup. Veainu also scored a try. Fiji won 30 - 22.

In another Pacific Nations Cup match, Shota Horie started at hooker and Keita Inagaki come off the bench in Japan's 20 - 6 win over Canada.

wilful

Larry Dwyer (12)
There's no screaming holes in the Rebels 2016 playing group, but equally there's no outstanding first pick Wallabies, which I would like to see. There are six to eight guaranteed inked in Wallabies in Australia, a number more probables and a bunch of possibles or futures. We've only got a few probables and a few futures. Just one or two gold plated players would be nice. I know, a champion team beats a team of champions, and we were burned by JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale, but even just for marketing purposes it would be good. Of course, in a few years, when we've got the premium halves and locks combinations, we'll be laughing!

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
By the November internationals 2016 we should have at least Jones, Stirzaker, Hanson, McMahon, Sefa, Smith and Weeksy on the tour. Optimistic, but it's a future thread, if there's a place for unfounded optimism it's here.

Status
Not open for further replies.