• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree, but Reddle-Neville's predicament seems to my far from expert eyes a predicament of his own making.

He was starting games, having an impact, getting a Wallaby camp, big future.

Then, overnight, he just fell off the cliff; either taking it for granted or loss of appetite for hard yards. Pyle overtook him and Neville never really recovered.

I hope the Reds re activate his hunger as Oz rugby always needs big bodies who can do damage to the opposition. And he is a really nice bloke as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neville actually had quite an impressive game for the Manly Marlins last weekend. Maybe there was something else at work down there at the Rebels?

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Neville actually had quite an impressive game for the Manly Marlins last weekend. Maybe there was something else at work down there at the Rebels?

Yeah, Super Rugby is harder than the Shute Shield. He's just not an especially good rugby player. He gets away with it at club level because he's a monster with a huge tank.

As for next year, we're going to sign Tala Gray right? I think I'll cry from frustration if we don't.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, Super Rugby is harder than the Shute Shield. He's just not an especially good rugby player. He gets away with it at club level because he's a monster with a huge tank.

As for next year, we're going to sign Tala Gray right? I think I'll cry from frustration if we don't.

as i said above if he had wanted to come home to melbourne he already would have. i don't think we will see him next year but i don't have any concrete information one way or another
ps as an aside, does anyone know how come the Rebels players have gone back to Sydney and Brisbane this year instead of continuing to play Dewar Shield ?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
ps as an aside, does anyone know how come the Rebels players have gone back to Sydney and Brisbane this year instead of continuing to play Dewar Shield ?

Only Neville, Gillespie and Kingston are currently in the Shute Shield. Does that mean they are not at the Rebels in 2014? In Gillespie/Kingston cases

Jones, Metcher, Weeks, English, Crawford, Leafa, Cummins, Inman, Stirzaker, Timani, Reid, Jeffries, Debreczeni have not made appearances.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only Neville, Gillespie and Kingston are currently in the Shute Shield. Does that mean they are not at the Rebels in 2014? In Gillespie/Kingston cases

Jones, Metcher, Weeks, English, Crawford, Leafa, Cummins, Inman, Stirzaker, Timani, Reid, Jeffries, Debreczeni have not made appearances.
Yeah Kingston and Gillespie not re signed
The others must all be resting not so far have played Dewar Shield since the end of Super rugby. Samo is apparently playing in QPR

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samo's not re-signed so seems to be anyone continuing in 2016 isn't allowed. Must be contractual issues/insurance - can't get injured etc.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Why? I mean, Radike was a bit of a legend for the Wallabies & Reds, but I don't see why we need to humour him in his retirement at the Rebels. He takes up a spot and presumably gets paid, things that are in scarce supply that should be invested in our youth. Not to disrespect the guy, but bringing him down to Melbourne never made any sense to me, and even less so as time goes on.

Whilst he didn't shine on the field for the rebels (20min against the canes) he worked a lot off the field. He spent a lot of time mentoring the younger players and supporting the island breeze program. He also looked good in a Box Hill jumper too :)

I'm not sure hay type of playing contract he was on, but somehow I can't imagine it being a full paying contract. Perhaps his professional playing boots an be hung up, but his off field work can certainly continue in Melbourne.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Gee interesting comment, he went down there, went very well playing super rugby. Made team of the weak on a number of occasions, even a Wallaby squad.
I think "maybe something else at work" I know it's been said for years. But it is a monumentally huge step up from Dewar to Soup, and the step up from Shute to Soup is no where near as big.
When stepping up from Shute he did okay.
When stepping up from Dewar ??

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The last time I saw Neville in the Shute Shield he was virtually invisible. That was the final against Eastwood, when the Marlins were thrashed.

Jones was great that day.

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Gee interesting comment, he went down there, went very well playing super rugby. Made team of the weak on a number of occasions, even a Wallaby squad.
I think "maybe something else at work" I know it's been said for years. But it is a monumentally huge step up from Dewar to Soup, and the step up from Shute to Soup is no where near as big.
When stepping up from Shute he did okay.
When stepping up from Dewar ??
It really would have been a team of the weak if he managed to make it. He got into that Wallaby squad on physical potential alone. Potential that he still has, but has never been able to fully reach.

He was stagnating even before that Rd.3/4 game against the Force last year. Went straight off a cliff in that match, close to the worst professional performance I've seen. Dragged after 30 minutes and he's lucky it wasn't sooner.

Best of luck to him at the Reds. He's got the sort of body we need in Australian rugby. I don't think his problems have anything to do with Melbourne though.

D

daz

I don't get the "something else at work" theory in regards Nev.

He started his Rebels career well (admittedly in a pretty poor team at the time), got flagged for higher honours, went over a cliff, got over-taken by Pyle and Jones, then when Pyle announced his departure, Nev got as much game-time as any player could possibly want.

And he couldn't cut it, while other players in the McGahan-coached squad developed in leaps and bounds.

How is that a Rebels issue?

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Neville is interesting. i was a big fan and his game against the Force last year aside, his form was beginning to falter after TT arrived. From the party line all the players seem happy with TT's "tough love" approach, and collectively the Rebels have improved under his tutelage, however, not every player excels with the fire and brimstone approach and Neville may be one of those.
He was given lots of game time from early last year (after Pyle was benched for going OS) even then he just didn't seem to improve, this year not unreasonably he relegated to a bit player. like others have said i hope he can realise his potential at the Reds, but not when they play the Rebels

Reactions: daz

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reds will do alright out of the Neville signing. I see a good combination with Simmons on the horizon.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wayne Smith reporting Adam Thomson is leaving the Reds to play for the Rebels next year. I guess you missed out on Curtis Browning (and Liam Gill).

Reds clearly chasing a marquee flyhalf

T

TOCC

Yep that must been Browning is staying in QLD, which is good news for the Reds long term .

Thompson will make nice substitute for Higgers for 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.