• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Metcher and Leafa signed until 2016 and 2017 respectively.

http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/two-rebels-front-rowers-re-sign

The article also glosses over the departures:

Following the conclusion of the 2015 campaign, Jed Gillespie, Tom Kingston, Tom Sexton, Telusa Veainu and Ben Whittaker’s contracts have come to an end, and they have left the Club, while utility back Bryce Hegarty has informed his teammates of his decision to accept a contract in Japan. We thank these players for their service to the Rebels, and wish them the best for the future.

well no real surprises there

think the loss of Telusa Veainu is a real pity. criminally under used imo, but does not fit the TT mould of physically big wingers, clearly hasn't watched Milne Skudder this year. gutted over Hegarty going.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
ps my granddaughter has a Rising onesie

IMG_0833.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
So, now only 2 players are in "limbo". Samo and Inagaki, for whom retirement and Japanese Super side are the logical destination. Assuming that Leafa is ahead of Siliva and Timani stays as a lock rather than switching to 8, this would be the team so far.

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. Jordy Reid
8. Colby Fainga’a
9. Nic Stirzaker
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Sefanaia Naivalu
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Mike Harris

16. Pat Leafa
17. Cruze Ah-Nau
18. Tim Metcher
19. Sam Jeffries
20. Scott Fuglistaller
21. Ben Meehan
22. Tom English
23. Cam Crawford

24. Siliva Siliva
25. Prop*
26. Prop*
27. Steve Cummins
28. Lock*
29. Number 8*
30. Back Row*
31. Scrum Half*
32. Flyhalf*
33. Jonah Placid
34. Back*
35. Back*

*my thoughts on what the 9 remaining positions should be.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
So, now only 2 players are in "limbo". Samo and Inagaki, for whom retirement and Japanese Super side are the logical destination. Assuming that Leafa is ahead of Siliva and Timani stays as a lock rather than switching to 8, this would be the team so far.

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. Jordy Reid
8. Colby Fainga’a
9. Nic Stirzaker
10. Jack Debreczeni
11. Sefanaia Naivalu
12. Mitch Inman
13. Tamati Ellison
14. Dom Shipperley
15. Mike Harris

*snip*

About right, I reckon. Maybe switch Engo and Placid?

I wonder if they have thought about Leafa converting to a prop? He's strong in the scrum and good around the park and, he doesn't weigh much less than Ah-Nau or Weeks. A few pies and coffee scrolls over summer and he'd be up there weight wise.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Rebels have got to do what they have got to do and I respect that. I wish they could find another lock and play Tamani at 8. From a Wallaby POV he could be what we need into the future.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Rebels have got to do what they have got to do and I respect that. I wish they could find another lock and play Tamani at 8. From a Wallaby POV he could be what we need into the future.
Especially with Higgers and Neville gone. We need another front line target in the line out.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Think we really need to sign another experienced Lock. Maybe it's worth taking a shot at Sitaleki Timani and I'm going to go with playing both Timani's at lock and moving Jones to 8

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
According to hi father in law no chance he would come home . Very happy in the South of France and other business interests locally as well not just rugby

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
For the brave amongst us, and if you like your Chilli:

I'll be watching RugbyHQ on Thursday night to see if Nick accepts the challenge.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

1. Toby Smith
2. James Hanson
3. Laurie Weeks
4. Luke Jones
5. Lopeti Timani
6. Sean McMahon
7. Jordy Reid
8. Colby Fainga’a.

You cant take that forward pack it lacks punch.

Need a bruising lock with timani to 8

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Just based on the players we have signed. Would expect at least 1 player in the best 23 at either lock or 8 to be signed, potentially both.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Just based on the players we have signed. Would expect at least 1 player in the best 23 at either lock or 8 to be signed, potentially both.

I suppose TT might rely on his player pool and develop jeffiries or cummins?

Tala Grey is off contract with the Tahs as well, and i believe he is a melbourne boy….

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
There've been whispers of Gray making enquiries to sign overseas. Tala's had an unlucky coupla injuries the last few years resulting in bugger all game time at the Tahs, a crying shame. We have to keep blokes like this in Oz rugby, and develop them, to ensure our overall standards are maintained.

If he's a Melbourne lad, all the better. Grab him, Rebels.

Status
Not open for further replies.