• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rebels 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Awful for Australia too. He is a talent. I had hoped the Reds might make a play for him to come home.

I actually thought the Reds would have, given the protracted negotiations with QC (Quade Cooper). We have lost a good talent, but for Bryce I guess he was looking for more starting time. Best of luck to him over in Japan.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
That's a real shame. Would have been a good fit for the Reds. I know they're talking about 'world class' replacements for QC (Quade Cooper), but if the Rebels can teach you anything, it's that you can't always build around talented blokes who detract from culture.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...ntract-extension/story-fnibc42r-1227419263435

Melbourne Rebels set to offer coach Tony McGahan contract extension

INCOMING Melbourne Rebels chief executive Andrew Cox wants Tony McGahan to be the “Vince Lombardi of Australian rugby”, indicating a contract extension for the club coach is in the works

The interesting part for me was

"The Rebels have signed a new short-term lease to remain at Carlton’s Ikon Park for the foreseeable future, however the Herald Sun understands that plans are afoot to move the club to AAMI Park by the end of the year."

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^Only time will tell, they did an alright job establishing Melbourne Heart so might be ok.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't know enough about him to disagree with that. Just feel that an International spot would be somewhat wasted on someone who'd be a fifth/sixth string prop if the rules are consistent.

Still, with 3 gone (Gillespie, PAE and Inagaki), it can't be argued that we need at least 2 replacements. If Campbell is one of those 2, we should probably be signing him.

Fritz

Chris McKivat (8)
He is well worth a look his improvement this year alone has been astounding, and a 80 mins player

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/r...ntract-extension/story-fnibc42r-1227419263435

Melbourne Rebels set to offer coach Tony McGahan contract extension

INCOMING Melbourne Rebels chief executive Andrew Cox wants Tony McGahan to be the “Vince Lombardi of Australian rugby”, indicating a contract extension for the club coach is in the works

This time last year, reading that would have caused me to spit my coffee all over my monitor.

This year, I'm happy to admit, I've changed my opinion of TT. The Rebels have made some really good progress, still a long way to go and still a lot of odd selections but, the improvements have been obvious.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would've thought that Mike would be signed to the Tahs. Plus with Kepu on the way out, and Robbo and Tilse probably not around in 2017, there's gonna be sufficient opportunities there.

Phil Kite was one whom I was reasonably impressed with in the NRC, but obviously the Reds picked Talakai and Fa'agase ahead of him. I saw he was in the Vikings squad, have the Brumbies signed him for next season?

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
I wonder what the new ownership means for the Rising??

Is a for profit happy to take a loss in the name of development? Are they fronting the cash still??

Also what happened to the private vendors wanting the Waratahs?? (not to go off topic too much)

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
So I see the ARU (Cheika) are trying to lure Kane Douglas back yo OZ. For elegiblity into the RWC he'd need to land into a Super Rugby Team.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby/...from-irish-rugby/story-fndpt9s1-1227431243687

Queensland seem to be a strong chance of securing him, but you can't help but wonder if the Rebels might/should throw an offer to him? He is proven at Super Rugby and International level, albeit with varying opinions on his effectiveness.

On another note, I can't imagine Cadeyrn Neville would be jumping up and down about the news.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Think his Fiance is a Brisbane lass. Would be a significant pull.

Bit crap for Neville though. Could have been on the bench here without uprooting himself. Potentially starting again too, if Lopeti was to return to the 8 jersey.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Metcher and Leafa signed until 2016 and 2017 respectively.

http://melbournerebels.com.au/news/article/two-rebels-front-rowers-re-sign

The article also glosses over the departures:

Following the conclusion of the 2015 campaign, Jed Gillespie, Tom Kingston, Tom Sexton, Telusa Veainu and Ben Whittaker’s contracts have come to an end, and they have left the Club, while utility back Bryce Hegarty has informed his teammates of his decision to accept a contract in Japan. We thank these players for their service to the Rebels, and wish them the best for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.