• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe #1 - AUS v NZL, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, August 8th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think we're closing in on the RWC squad and would be surprised if what's been posted isn't about 95% plus accurate.

Cheika was quoted as saying the same on Fox.

He also said it was always his intention to rest Palu for the first games of the RC and that he "has come back in great shape and really eager to play". Reading between the lines I think Palu is still Cheika's no. 1 choice for 8.

He also said that "In additional to the 31 players, we’ll be bringing some injured and fringe players into camp to continue their rehabilitation and manage their return to play. It’s important that they remain connected and contribute to the group." Depending on form we may well see these guys get a run at Eden Park.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Higginbotham is probably the only significant omission..........

I think Mitchell has two games to show he deserves inclusion, because no doubt Horne will slot back in at the expense of one of the wingers and right now you wouldn't pick Mitchell ahead of any of them.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
My Bled 1 team:

Sio
Moore
Kepu
Simmons
Skelton
Fardy / Hooper
Pocock
Palu
Phipps
Foley
Tomane
To'omua (or a straight swap with Lilo if still concussed)
Kuridrani
Speight
Folau

Holmes
Smith
Nau
Horwill
McCalman
Hooper / Fardy
Beale
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

Rested but not dropped: Slipper. Slipper's locked in imho but needs a break.

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
My Bled 1 team:

Sio
Moore
Kepu
Simmons
Skelton
Fardy / Hooper
Pocock
Palu
Phipps
Foley
Tomane
Kuridrani
Speight
Folau

Holmes
Smith
Nau
Horwill
McCalman
Hooper / Fardy
Beale
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

You would go into a Bledisloe with just one scrummie?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
And the ARU Respond with this:

Statement from the ARU regarding SANZAR appeal of Michael Hooper sanction

The Australian Rugby Union (ARU) is extremely disappointed in receiving SANZAR's notice to appeal the sanction handed down to Qantas Wallabies flanker Michael Hooper.

The ARU will vigorously defend the SANZAR appeal on the severity of the sanction handed to the player.

Furthermore, the ARU intends to cross-appeal the Judicial Officer's original finding that the player was guilty of committing an act of foul play.

The ARU will make no further comment on this matter.

We might still see Michael Hooper run around for the MMM tomorrow.

How much to Judiciary Review Officials charge for after hours work?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Hooper should counter-appeal the verdict ASAP. Get G&GR's video boys and lawyers on the job.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah it's that bad, it's possible he could get off which would be significant for any future citing for him.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Do we overtake the Poms & Irish on the World Rankings after we beat the AB's next week? Anyone know?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Higgers out can understand with competition intense as never really nailed it at test level b4 so was always going to be given limited chances and against Boks was not up to scatch - yes could say because type of game asked to play but don't completely buy into that...

No Kane Douglas big surprise for me as limited game time to trial him b4 world cup....

Nick Cummins out is also expected as just not player he was b4 he left for Japan

Horne and Genia obvious injury outs...

Rest of squad all makes a lot of sense..

Harder bits is game 23 and things like:
1. What we do with Hooper - start him with Pocock or come on from the bench....for me is latter
2. Start Palu or Ben Mc at 8? and do we have one of them on the bench if go 6/2 bench
3. Who we start at 10....cripes Foley probably the start as Cooper just to risky but getting so unconvincing I would not be opposed to seeing how To'omua or Giteau fare there
4. Who we start at 12....To'omua no brainer if not out but if is agree should be Lilo to start
5. Who will partner AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on wing...sorry don't buy into not starting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) on one wing....Spreight/Tomane or Mitchell with one of these on the bench
6. Who is bench lock - Horwill or Mumm - yep now convinced Skelton should start with Simmons
7. Who should be our starting LH and TH props.....not sure it matter as neither first front row choice been better than other teams starting front row but our second front row from the bench as been better than oppositions second string front row....some positives....Slipper just not up to it as injury clearly affecting him....
8. Who should be the backup bench players as far as backs go outside of other winger...well White is there if go 5/3 bench but otherwise see Giteau taking other spot given at a pinch can cover 9/10/12.....If Giteau starts (unlikely) then Beale the next option

Otherwise rest all easy peazy....glad I am not Cheika but hey he is much better placed than me to pick best 23 to be on the paddock as I would have dropped skelton after Boks game and certainly proved me wrong there on last game....

Fireworks

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My Bled 1 team:

Sio
Moore
Kepu
Simmons
Skelton
Fardy / Hooper
Pocock
Palu
Phipps
Foley
Tomane
Kuridrani
Speight
Folau

Holmes
Smith
Nau
Horwill
McCalman
Hooper / Fardy
Beale
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

I agree with everything except I'd start AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) instead of Tomane & I'd have Slipper, White Cooper and Beale on the bench.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I'm amazed people are seriously considering Douglas in the squad. Hasn't he been injured for last 2 years.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I'm amazed people are seriously considering Douglas in the squad. Hasn't he been injured for last 2 years.
Well that's not quite right..he was part of the Tahs super rugby victory less than 12 months ago.

He is recovering from a back injury he got playing overseas but I'm not sure how long ago.

He is clearly not in bledisloe calcs but could be a smokey for the RWC if he gets fit and kicks ass in the NRC and someone gets injured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.