• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2015

Who will win GPS 2015?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sidesteppa

Watty Friend (18)
Completely agree with you mate I thought it was awesome. Passion and pride from the boys in black and white.

Amazing to watch: the drama of being behind, last play of the game, then Atiola clinching it with a try, taking the game, and the championship. Tragic for View, but elation for Newington. Loved the pitch invasion. Moments like this are pretty rare. My footage:

Crackerjack

Bill Watson (15)
Many thanks for posting that 'Steppa. Being at Nth Parramatta today, it was difficult to get any proper handle on the drama unfolding over at New. Spectacular finish, and congrats to the boys in Black and White, and to View for an all but heroic performance. Baz Lurhman couldn't have directed any dramatic finale better than that! Great vid. Cheers always.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)
And Atiola… In front of the entire school on Back to Newington day scoring the winner… A moment he'll cherish for the rest of his life no doubt, as will the 14 other players (especially those in Yr 12).

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Amazing to watch: the drama of being behind, last play of the game, then Atiola clinching it with a try, taking the game, and the championship. Tragic for View, but elation for Newington. Loved the pitch invasion. Moments like this are pretty rare. My footage:

I am not associated with either school. My thoughts are this on the final three minutes.

Excellent ball retention by Newington and great defense by View. The big problem is the try.

A ruck was formed and under the laws the ball may NOT be picked up within a ruck and can only be when it passes the last feet. On repeated viewing with a Level 2 referee the opinion is that the player picking it up within a ruck should have been penalized. The referee made a beginners mistake and cost View a historic upset win

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
True, Joeys were dominant, but they're like that pretty much at every level from 2nds down to 13Hs.
Makes you wonder why they're not dominant in the firsts as they used to be.

Actually, the Twos were not dominant, but they were probably the most impressive Joeys team the way they gutsed out wins in a few games against teams that looked to have a good as chance of winning as they did.

By contrast the Threes were likely the best side from the school, grade for grade, in the Opens.

Does anybody know the exact score of the Joeys v New Shore games in the Twos and 16As??

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I am not associated with either school. My thoughts are this on the final three minutes.

Excellent ball retention by Newington and great defense by View. The big problem is the try.

A ruck was formed and under the laws the ball may NOT be picked up within a ruck and can only be when it passes the last feet. On repeated viewing with a Level 2 referee the opinion is that the player picking it up within a ruck should have been penalized. The referee made a beginners mistake and cost View a historic upset win

The flaw in your position is that the referee adjudicated that way for the whole of the match, which benefited and/or hindred both teams at various points. You can't change the way you referee in the last minute.

I'd also question whether there was actually ever a ruck formed - there was a tackle, but there doesn't ever seem to be a player from either team in closed contact over the ball. The Riverview players seem to assume a defensive position for the next phase without ever forming a ruck.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Actually, the Twos were not dominant, but they were probably the most impressive Joeys team the way they gutsed out wins in a few games against teams that looked to have a good a chance of winning as they did.

By contrast the Threes were likely the best side from the school, grade for grade, in the Opens.

Does anybody know the exact score of the Joeys v New Shore games in the Twos and 16As??

2nd XV - SJC 34 - NC 10

16A - SJC 41 - NC 0

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Correct. the View players were in a defensive ruck stance, but he laws state that the ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal line. The ball did not leave the ruck but was picked up by a player on his feet over the ball.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Correct. the View players were in a defensive ruck stance, but he laws state that the ruck ends successfully when the ball leaves the ruck, or when the ball is on or over the goal line. The ball did not leave the ruck but was picked up by a player on his feet over the ball.

The ruck no longer exists if there aren't players in closed contact over the ball. If the ball is sitting in the open with no players in closed contact, then there is no ruck in existence - it has left the ruck.

gps_pilfs

Bob McCowan (2)
The flaw in your position is that the referee adjudicated that way for the whole of the match, which benefited and/or hindred both teams at various points. You can't change the way you referee in the last minute.

I'd also question whether there was actually ever a ruck formed - there was a tackle, but there doesn't ever seem to be a player from either team in closed contact over the ball. The Riverview players seem to assume a defensive position for the next phase without ever forming a ruck.

Full credit to Newington, they had some outstanding players and were coached terrifically throughout the duration of a fantastic season. Although there isn't anything to do to change the course of the refereeing in the game, it is worth pointing out the decision which ultimately decided the premiership winning team(s). That being said, what Joker has pointed is correct, and there is quite clearly one player either side in contact above the ball. I guess all that you can say is that View (and in a way Scots) should feel hard done by...

Joker

Greg Davis (50)
Quick Hands. I agree. The ball though was not sitting in the open, there were players latched or latching on to the try scorer. There were two players visible defending the ruck.

Anyway, what a finish to a good season. Great fun had by all. Well done to the players of both teams who played the game in good spirit. In that regard I spoke with the Shore coach yesterday and congratulated him on keeping the positive school spirit alive at Shore. They lost on the field but they always remain upbeat.

Cash

Sydney Middleton (9)

Actually, the Twos were not dominant, but they were probably the most impressive Joeys team the way they gutsed out wins in a few games against teams that looked to have a good a chance of winning as they did.

My two cents aren't worth much, but I personally believe that it was because Joeys were trying make Wright the orchestrator of pretty much everything. He's a natural fullback and probably the best schoolboy fullback in Australia (bar maybe Ngamanu). Playing him at 10, 13 and wherever else he was put throughout the season was ridiculous; it would be understandable to try such 'experiments' in the pre-season, but during GPS games? Drop Clements or Barnes, as talented as both are, and go from there. Having said that, I'm not a coach, so choose to take my views with a grain of salt if you please.

But what I am able to notice is that Joeys have a LOT of class in their 1st XV. Jaffer-Williams is the closest thing to the ideal winger, Wright doesn't need an explanation, Wilkinson's VERY skilful, and Wennerbom is close to the level of Strang and Goddard. The forwards were okay too, but who actually cares about forwards. I kid, Azzuri. Horton is a wrecking-ball: he's what happens when you put wheels on a front-rower. Leaver and Gittoes are SUCH good footballers in pretty much every regard. To summarise, they're a very good rugby team. It's just that Scots and Newington have teams that are just as good.

I'd back a lot of the boys across the GPS to go on to play professionally, if they please.

Status
Not open for further replies.