• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: IRE v FRA (POOL D) Mon 12th@2:45am

Status
Not open for further replies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Yet O'Brien is being criticized at the moment. Ireland's defense this World Cup has been amazing, they will need to fire more in attack this week.

Expect to see Kearney back at Full back with the strongest Irish back line we have seen this World Cup.

SOB's been a little quiet so far, but at this point Ireland are third in either tries scored or points scored (need to double check, but NZ and AUS are first and second), and they're tied with NZ for fewest points allowed.

I know Mattie Williams thinks Jared Payne is the root of all Irish problems, but he's been defensively solid in the midfield, and his communication is great -- that seemed to be especially lacking against Italy.

Betting Kearney feels like a caged animal right now.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
^^^Not sure if I would start Payne ahead of Earls in the center still. If you start Payne your wings would be Earls and Bowe.

If you don't you have Bowe and Zebo on the wings, can't see Dave Kearney getting the nod again but you never know.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
^^^Not sure if I would start Payne ahead of Earls in the center still. If you start Payne your wings would be Earls and Bowe.

If you don't you have Bowe and Zebo on the wings, can't see Dave Kearney getting the nod again but you never know.

Did you see BOD's analysis of Earls defensive positioning? He tends to play it a little deep, like a wing, giving the attack space to move and establish their support. That seemed concerning.

But I wouldn't want to lose Earls' attacking qualities. Eight World Cup tries is something you keep.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yet O'Brien is being criticized at the moment. Ireland's defense this World Cup has been amazing, they will need to fire more in attack this week.

I think SOB's been a standout for Ireland. Just because he hasn't had ball in hand. If the opposition isn't gonna spread the ball someone has to tackle themselves into the ground

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's obviously a ploy teams are using to try and tie him down. As long as he's making the hits I don't see the problem. Only issue is if they are running forwards at him, he's not gonna grab many turnovers.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Rumours no Earls or Zebo in the 23, Bowe and Daverage on the wings, Robnoxious at 15. And Hightower Toner starting with Hendo on the bench, ridiculous if true.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Fuck me, it has just struck me he could be about to leave out Peter O'Mahony with Hendo starting at 6 to make way for High Tower. Please God don't let it be so.

Jellic87

Chris McKivat (8)
So i read that Eddy Ben has promised France are going to target Johnny Sexton! I always hate this type of talk. I know Sexton is in good form but there are 14 other men on the field.
There was the same talk during the six nations but Ireland still got up!

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is the test I've been looking forward to the most. Both teams have looked pretty good. Unless Tonga pulls off the biggest upset since Cain knocked over Abel, the winner will play the Argies and I think both teams would back themselves in that one.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
This is the test I've been looking forward to the most. Both teams have looked pretty good. Unless Tonga pulls off the biggest upset since Cain knocked over Abel, the winner will play the Argies and I think both teams would back themselves in that one.

Was David vs Goliath before or after that, according to the fantasy novel?

If Ireland win, it will set up a juicy quarter final at the Millenium stadium with the All Blacks and France. Would be even more interesting if Barnes was the referee.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
So i read that Eddy Ben has promised France are going to target Johnny Sexton! I always hate this type of talk. I know Sexton is in good form but there are 14 other men on the field.
There was the same talk during the six nations but Ireland still got up!

To be fair I think Sexton would be used to this. Being a 10 he will always be hunted by opposition forwards, and well he is smashed every international game he plays. His concussion record speaks for itself. Hopefully O'Brien, Heaslip and Co. do their job in protecting the teams best player.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Was David vs Goliath before or after that, according to the fantasy novel?

If Ireland win, it will set up a juicy quarter final at the Millenium stadium with the All Blacks and France. Would be even more interesting if Barnes was the referee.

We can only hope and dream about this eventuality.:)

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
France: 15 Scott Spedding, 14 Noa Nakaitaci, 13 Mathieu Bastareaud, 12 Wesley Fofana, 11 Brice Dulin, 10 Frederic Michalak, 9 Sebastien Tillous-Borde, 8 Louis Picamoles, 7 Damien Chouly, 6 Thierry Dusautoir (c), 5 Yoann Maestri, 4 Pascal Pape, 3 Rabah Slimani, 2 Guilhem Guirado, 1 Eddy Ben Arous.
Replacements: 16 Benjamin Kayser, 17 Vincent Debaty, 18 Nicolas Mas, 19 Alexandre Flanquart, 20 Bernard Le Roux, 21 Morgan Parra, 22 Remi Tales, 23 Alexandre Dumoulin.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Personally I don't care who wins this. This is just a nice match that I'm looking forward to viewing and enjoying from a neutral perspective.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
Toner must be used in some role for this to be the case. Schmidt would've been planning this game from the start of his tenure. That probably didn't account for Hendersons sublime form this RWC.

I've never seen an Ireland team fly so quietly in the build up to such a big game. Really hope they have something up their sleeves. If they don't it'll be such a damp squib to end the group stages on with a week to recover before playing a NZ team.

Status
Not open for further replies.