• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: IRE v FRA (POOL D) Mon 12th@2:45am

Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyBlueElephant

Darby Loudon (17)
See, I thought that for the SA-Scotland game in Newcastle - so close to the Scottish border, it was supposed to effectively be Murrayfield-like. But that clearly wasn't the case - it was about 50-50, if not slightly in our favor.

And France is a helluva lot closer to Cardiff than South Africa is to Newcastle.

So far Irish ex pats and travelling paddies hsve bought up the overwhelming majority of tickets in their last 3 games. Irish fans love to buy into events like this and make themselves heard. If Landsdowne is the Vatican for Ireland fans Cardiff is Lourdes, they've made that place their home in past experience. Great thing is French fans are one of the loudest sets around too and won't be quiet, it will be an amazing event.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
I'm sure Schmidt will have kept a few of his pivot Leinster moves up his sleeve. That's where we'll see whether our up-and-hold defence still looks shaky.

The problem with those Leinster moves is they require some quick tempo at the rucks, and Ireland didn't show that against Italy. (I think Peter Stringer said it was a difference of like 3 seconds in earlier games to around 6 seconds at the Olympic Stadium.) They can play with that kind of tempo and pace, but need just need to do it instead of think about it.

And they could use this version of Sean O'Brien again.

RurU5l1.gif

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
See, I thought that for the SA-Scotland game in Newcastle - so close to the Scottish border, it was supposed to effectively be Murrayfield-like. But that clearly wasn't the case - it was about 50-50, if not slightly in our favor.

And France is a helluva lot closer to Cardiff than South Africa is to Newcastle.

Does that account for all the South Africans already living in London? I'm sure a good portion of them didn't have to travel all the way from Durban or Cape Town.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
So far Irish ex pats and travelling paddies hsve bought up the overwhelming majority of tickets in their last 3 games. Irish fans love to buy into events like this and make themselves heard. If Landsdowne is the Vatican for Ireland fans Cardiff is Lourdes, they've made that place their home in past experience. Great thing is French fans are one of the loudest sets around too and won't be quiet, it will be an amazing event.

When the French played Romania, the announcer said something to the effect that when the French are on song, they function like a well-rehearsed symphony, but right now they look more like an out-of-tune brass band.

And the moment after he said that, the French fans cued up their out-of-tune brass band in the stands. Brilliant.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Does that account for all the South Africans already living in London? I'm sure a good portion of them didn't have to travel all the way from Durban or Cape Town.

Well the whole of France is right across the channel, and their access to the UK is pretty easy too.

And there are quite a few South Africans over there from here - obviously the majority are expats, yes. But that goes for any non-European team's support there anyway.

I'd even say it could be easier/cheaper for the French to get there, but I could be wrong.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Well the whole of France is right across the channel, and their access to the UK is pretty easy too.

And there are quite a few South Africans over there from here - obviously the majority are expats, yes. But that goes for any non-European team's support there anyway.

I'd even say it could be easier/cheaper for the French to get there, but I could be wrong.

Ach. If a lot of Saffers are already in London, it's easier for them to get to Newcastle than it is for anyone across any sea to get to Cardiff. Because they're already established in the country where the game is played.

That is all.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
If you've ever seen Munster fans travel to France for big European Cup games you'll know distance and cost is no barrier to a tonne of Paddies turning up at your stadium.

If Irish fans can get a ticket, think they might be able to get a ticket, know someone who's cousin's hairdresser's friend's plumber might know a guy who might know a guy who can get a ticket, then they'll travel in droves.

Make enough tickets available to us and we'll make any game anywhere feel like a home game.

There will definitely be a lot of Irish there on Sunday and I hope there will be a sizable French contingent too. It'll be a cracking atmosphere. We might not like the French on the field but their fans are good craic off it so there'll be a party whoever wins.

Hopefully it's those wearing green saying "Ah sure, you're New Zealand's bogey team anyway. You're almost guaranteed a semi final spot." then under breath "Thank fuck it's not us."

I hope I enjoy the game as much as I'm looking forward to it.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The problem with those Leinster moves is they require some quick tempo at the rucks, and Ireland didn't show that against Italy. (I think Peter Stringer said it was a difference of like 3 seconds in earlier games to around 6 seconds at the Olympic Stadium.) They can play with that kind of tempo and pace, but need just need to do it instead of think about it.

And they could use this version of Sean O'Brien again.

RurU5l1.gif

I keep telling myself. Just watch it once more and scroll on.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
If you've ever seen Munster fans travel to France for big European Cup games you'll know distance and cost is no barrier to a tonne of Paddies turning up at your stadium.

If Irish fans can get a ticket, think they might be able to get a ticket, know someone who's cousin's hairdresser's friend's plumber might know a guy who might know a guy who can get a ticket, then they'll travel in droves.

Make enough tickets available to us and we'll make any game anywhere feel like a home game.

There will definitely be a lot of Irish there on Sunday and I hope there will be a sizable French contingent too. It'll be a cracking atmosphere. We might not like the French on the field but their fans are good craic off it so there'll be a party whoever wins.

Hopefully it's those wearing green saying "Ah sure, you're New Zealand's bogey team anyway. You're almost guaranteed a semi final spot." then under breath "Thank fuck it's not us."

I hope I enjoy the game as much as I'm looking forward to it.

Same goes for French fans too then. :)

Will be interesting to see the balance between fans.

Dewald Nel

Cyril Towers (30)
Ach. If a lot of Saffers are already in London, it's easier for them to get to Newcastle than it is for anyone across any sea to get to Cardiff. Because they're already established in the country where the game is played.

That is all.

Newcastle is a lot closer to Scotland than to London though. ;)

That is all. :p

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)

It is an expensive trip from Scotland to Newcastle.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Isn't it a question of who got lucky in the ticket lottery?

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Haven't watched either of these teams close enough to predict a win. However I have noticed that France appear to have another gear which they access from time to time.

I'm hoping for an Ireland win for 2 reasons. Firstly I'd love to see an Ireland v Australia semi final match up (Ireland are by far my favourite Northern Hemisphere team and I think that would be a great game). Secondly, I believe France have a much better chance of knocking off the All Blacks than Ireland do, particularly if they are coming off a loss. NZ v FR would be a great QF match

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm going for France so Ireland have to face NZ and get their asses handed to them as they try to play their terrible style of rugby. 31-18 (6 pens). Maybe Joe will realise after that rugby has moved on from up and unders and box kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.