• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Pre Season '16: Reds v Crusaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
This is interesting:

This live stream broadcast is geo-blocked to Australian and New Zealand viewers only following permission being granted to QRU by the rights holding broadcasters in those two territories. QRU does not have permission to live stream broadcast this game beyond those two territories.

So presumably Uncle Rupe owns the rights to all matches played by supe teamseven trials.

It wasn't. I had to run out the door to catch a flight but I watched minutes 8 through 18 with no internet sorcery involved.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
There are two major problems underpinning last night's eagerness to kick the ball away.

Firstly, the mentality of 'wet weather footy' - clearly the Reds didn't take even a sidewards glance at the world cup, because I think this concept should be notionally dead for top flight rugby. Canterbury dropped a lot of ball last night, but that happens in trials. They also scored 31 points.
Secondly, developing 9-10. Sanchez and Cooper are gone. 10 may not be getting great service, and 9 might have been getting back foot ball in the 2nd half. But kicking the ball away isn't going to help them improve in any way. These are trial matches, the whole point is to try out combos and hopefully build on what works. Think Slattery-Lynagh and Farr-Jones - Lynagh, Phipps-Foley, and Marshall-Mehrtens-Matson-Mayerhofler.

Reactions: dru

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Good call Reg,

A team was OK, B team (of kids) just not up to it. The experience will do them all a world of good.
Liked McIntyre and felt sorry for T Thor. Poor bugger had huge expectations thrown upon him by the press and some posters alike. The lad is huge and has been playing against kids and Prems last year. As often said - welcome to first grade.

The lad will be much better next time and hopefully continues to improve on the technical aspects of the game.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There are two major problems underpinning last night's eagerness to kick the ball away.

Firstly, the mentality of 'wet weather footy' - clearly the Reds didn't take even a sidewards glance at the world cup, because I think this concept should be notionally dead for top flight rugby. Canterbury dropped a lot of ball last night, but that happens in trials. They also scored 31 points.
Secondly, developing 9-10. Sanchez and Cooper are gone. 10 may not be getting great service, and 9 might have been getting back foot ball in the 2nd half. But kicking the ball away isn't going to help them improve in any way. These are trial matches, the whole point is to try out combos and hopefully build on what works. Think Slattery-Lynagh and Farr-Jones - Lynagh, Phipps-Foley, and Marshall-Mehrtens-Matson-Mayerhofler.

I've been cogitating on the trial. One major benefit of the trial strategy was game time to the broader squad. But I think the opportunity was largely missed. I'm still befuddled by Hunt-Greene at 15 when, as you say Dave, we need to be testing 9-10 combinations, and actually playmaker communication generally. I get that Taulagi is injured so we need a FB (bit early for Goro) but I see wasted opportunity for any potential playmaker that isnt McIntyre.

Frisby being pushed back is at least a bit to do with how much he fed the piggies. But mulling it over, did we actually much of forward pods? I would have though Simmo would at one point go "OK lads, this time we're taking it up the middle. Period." And I'd hope for more than 4 phases.

A lot of this stuff is coaching? We love Stiles. How are we feeling about MOC? Possible future HC.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Any coach who lets his 9 box kick needs to have a look at themselves. It's a trial game and we want to see the backline. Pass the ball out and see whjat these guys can do.

I'll wait and see how we go on Friday. As I said on the Reds thread I'm hopeful that Greene starts at 10 just to see what he offers.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This will be our first string team I suspect. No more 'trialling'. To me that means I think McIntyre will start at 10, but Greene will be in the squad as he's very close.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm expecting the Reds to role out there starting side this week, which would be;

1. Daley
2. S. Fainga'a
3. Holmes
4. Simmons
5. Neville
6. Fakaosilea
7. Gill
8. Schatz
9. Frisby
10. McIntyre
11. Nabuli
12. Taefu
13. Kerevi
14. CFS
15. Hunt

Very impressed with what I'm seeing with Talakai who was great for the first team and will be a great replacement for Holmes. Tui will be fit and ready to go from all reports he has returned in great condition. Likewise, with Goromaru the language barrier is a bit of a worry but his game IQ is very high.

Reserves or Secknd XV;

16. Fainga'a
17. Ready
18. Talakai
19. Matwijou
20. H. Tui
21. Tuttle
22. Greene
23. Goromaru

R. L. Tui
R. Gunn
R. Browning
R. Paaiaua
R. A. Fainga'a
R. C. Kuridrani
R. A. Gibbon

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Suspect you are very close Intruder.

You've got Fainga Doubled up. Surprised you'd put him ahead of Ready, but its great news if he's in that kind of form. Talakai did look good, genuine starting quality. And I think all Red fans are wanting to see Tui. Btw I also liked what we saw of Matwijou, promising future.

We are still seeing a backline with little flair and what there is stuck at 15. I'd accept a backline like that if we didnt have the talent, but we do. Seems more about coaching strategy. Or perhaps a lack of cohesion as the different coaching roles are focussed on specifics, not the overall.

What are you seeing with the coaches and backs, Intruder?

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Sully's review is up.
Here are a few additional photos and a link to the full Flickr album

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100900132@N02/albums/72157663799605330

24586379580_d7d266a424_b_d.jpg

24857951716_b625a1b0c3_b_d.jpg

24521785609_aa0d742ef8_b_d.jpg

24766663772_d907cc61d8_b_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.