• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Have I missed the bit where it was discussed how impressive we were after the 80 minute mark?
They had the ball for 20 odd phases and 3 minutes,and we were 100% Rock solid and even drove them back.
We really put it to them,without looking like conceding a penalty.
It was AB esque

T

Train Without a Station

Whilst I agree that Scotland played better than Wales I think the statement is based on recent performance.

Who have Scotland beaten in the last 2 seasons?

Italy, Samoa, Japan and USA.

We'd have to go back to 2014 when they last beat a top 10 team in Argentina in mid year tests when I'm not sure about the availability of Argentina's best players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH

How do you explain the different performance from last week to this week ?

Players, Selection, the coaches, ca't be the Ref as we were favoured there),
preparation, game plan ???????

Our level of play was definitely below what we produced against Wales. Our opposition was much better though.

We tried to force the offload too often when retaining possession and going a phase or two more might have resulted in the try.

I was really only addressing your statement that Wales is a good team and Scotland is a bad team.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Whilst I agree that Scotland played better than Wales I think the statement is based on recent performance.

We'd have to go back to 2014 when they last beat a top 10 team in Argentina in mid year tests when I'm not sure about the availability of Argentina's best players.

The beat France in the 6N. Whilst that in itself is not a major feat they had close losses to Ireland, England and Wales so they are definitely a team on the up and certainly better than what they were a few years ago.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Anatomy of their tries
1st try
Scotland, desperately defending, get a scrum 5m out from their own line. Speight drops the clearing kick into Genia and the Scots kick the resulting penalty to just short of halfway.

From the lineout, the Scotland 5/8 chips through and a flying Jones gets a good bounce leaving Izzy grasping at air as the 13 goes under the posts.

2nd try
Kepu gets penalised for offside in the backline on his own 40. Scotland miss the penalty attempt and then in return Hodge misses touch clearing from his line.

Scotland counter and break through poor defence by Izzy on the opposite wing, then make further inroads between some bad defence from Sio and Arnold before the awful miss by Kurindrani lets the try through.

This was a pretty awful period of play by the Wallabies.

3rd try
Arnold gets up in front of his opposition for a lineout inside the Aus 22 but a hand gets in the way and the ball spills out of the reach of Genia for the Scots to gain possession. They get a scrum feed and after a really good Aus scrum nearly turn it back over buit the Scots eventually clear.

Kurindrani almost gets stood up on the outside but eventually makes the tackle way behind the advantage line. At the next ruck, Johnny Gray steam rolls over the top of Arnold with Pockock and Simmons pretty ineffectual in stopping the drive over the line.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
You're talking about Quade presumably. Latu didn't come on either I don't think.

I can understand why he didn't take Foley off after we hit the front with 4 minutes to go as it could have upset our composure. However I remember thinking after the Scots scored early in the second half that we needed to do something different if we are to win this and that Quade should have come on then.

It's probably the previous week's game when we had a big lead that would have been opportune to give him 30 minutes off the bench instead of 4. Don't know what's going on there TBH.

All that said I haven't heard the 'finishers' rhetoric for a long time, maybe not at all this season. But I could have missed it!
Pretty simple why foley was not replaced as he was one of wallabies best players and ice man kicking the goals that in the end won us the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
A couple late thoughts. My man of the match was their blindside, John Barclay. He was immense and caused us all sorts of headaches at the breakdown.

I was disappointed with the pushed passes in attack. Izzy mate, sometimes you've just got to relax and recycle the pill. Not every touch needs to make the highlights reel.

Skelton's brainsnap should have him hooked from the French side. I was livid. Hot on attack and with a reasonable case to be made for a warning to Laidlaw for foul play at the ruck, ol' fuckwit McMeataxe decides to smash a prone bloke after the whistle. He deserved his yellow and hopefully got an absolute mouthful from Cheika.

A pretty frustrating game to watch and a shame we couldn't put the Scots away. Like Wales they seem to enjoy the narrative of close losses = near victories. For me their first try was due to the luck of the bounce, and apart from some good counterattack from Hogg (great player, hey?) and his wings, never really built and sustained pressure.

Onwards and upwards. Who's been watching the French - should we be nervous?

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Anatomy of our tries
1st try
Pocock get a turnover penalty (good work by him but Kepu didn’t ever let go of the tackled player so somewhat fortunate – Richie Gray is taken off for a HIA after collecting a friendly knee).

From the lineout, Arnold bobbles the take at 4 to Genia, who passes to Foley, who then collects the run around pass from Izzy while Kurindrani runs a decoy line. Foley runs through the line and offloads to DHP who offloads the ball on to Hodge who runs through the line to score with Speight right next to him. Rugby poetry in motion.

2nd try
After a terrific covering tackle from Dean Mumm draws a lineout on Aus 40m line, Mumm takes the ball and sets up a maul, Phipps puts up a rubbish box kick but DHP comes down with it and passes out along the line.

Hodge gets isolated, but the Scottish 6 jackler is penalised for playing the ball off his feet.

Hodge kicks to the Scottish 30m line, Hooper takes the linout at 6 and after a couple of phases and another fairly poor cross kick DHP comes down with it again. Going left, Simmons gets over the advantage line, and then the Scots are caught offside trying to get up early at the next phase.

Foley kicks to the line, 7m out, 6 minutes to go. Simmons takes the ball at 4 and sets up a splintered maul shoved back 5m by the Scots. Phipps passes to Foley, who shifts it on to Kurindrani, who breaks through two attempts but gets turned, making the simple draw and pass to the flying Izzy difficult, then he crashes over the last line 5m out and reaches over to score.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
rhetoric? nup, the coaches thought the players were doing the job.

That maybe totally different the next game

I well remember Deans being castigated for not knowing how to properly manage his bench when a number of players sat there all game and were not used. Different strokes for different folks?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I well remember Deans being castigated for not knowing how to properly manage his bench when a number of players sat there all game and were not used. Different strokes for different folks?

Sometimes it was certainly warranted and sometimes it wasn't.

Is it a regular occurrence that we have two bench players who don't get on? I think it's the exception far more than the norm. The only other test this year I can remember where a reserve didn't get on was Frisby in one of the tests against England and that is because we had already made 8 substitutions (an extra prop sub).

When would you have brought Latu on?

When should Cooper have come on and for who?

PeterK

Alfred Walker (16)

Scotland beat France 29 18 march 2016 at murreyfield

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The second try was a one on one miss by Kuridrani on Huw Jones, not Speight.

and a shocker it was too - all arms and no shoulder: looked like Alfy Langer leading with his right foot.
Surprised Foley getting so many plaudits: he throws far too many passes that prevent the man running onto the ball - not all of them are completely behind but many of them are pretty crap and cause the bloke to break stride to catch it. For a bloke at this level he is pedestrian.
By my count Folau threw 3 shit passes after he was over the gain line: this is a bloke who started out playing a game where you are encouraged to die with the ball: learnt nothing there; went to a game where you have to have a kick: learnt SFA there; and now thinks once your over the gain line you've earned your unwarranted salary. And then there was his inept cover of the short kick leading to the try: he just raced up to it without a thought about covering the, always to be expected, "unpredictable bounce". To suggest with this repertoire he would make an Abs team - as some have - is ridiculous.
What is with us: Genia should have taken the tackle on his opening break instead of throwing his own version of the hail mary. We were so far over the gain line that if we couldn't win the ensuing ruck and go the same way to score in the corner we shouldn't be playing.
Skelton is brainless. Send him home.
As soon as Simmons came on we were in trouble. This is a bloke who was sent back to the NRC to find some form. He played 1 game and did absolutely nothing but was recalled.
The fundamentals, as ever, are alarming and we just reward mediocrity with huge salaries and/or continued selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.