• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalai Ninja

Ward Prentice (10)
1. Ala'alatoa
2. Latu
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Frisby
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16.. Moore
17.. Robertson
18.. Coleman / Arnold
19. Timani
10. Skelton
21..Foley
22. Hodge
23. Koroibete

Not noticeably weaker. Rests / rotates players towards the end of a long season. Tries out Koroibete. Then stick with the 1st XV for the rest of the tour, barring injury.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
You guys should have another good win if you keep the team strong.

Couple of funny selection decisions going on, particularly a couple of underdone players being picked over form ones, in particular, Hamstrung Duncan Taylor over a Matt Scott who's scoring tries at will.

Plus injuries to a couple of important players: particularly WP Nel and Al Dickinson. And Laidlaw isn't the deadeye dick he was 9 months ago.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
1. Ala'alatoa
2. Latu
3. Slipper
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McMahon
9. Frisby
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Godwin
13. Kuridrani
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16.. Moore
17.. Robertson
18.. Coleman / Arnold
19. Timani
10. Skelton
21..Foley
22. Hodge
23. Koroibete

Not noticeably weaker. Rests / rotates players towards the end of a long season. Tries out Koroibete. Then stick with the 1st XV for the rest of the tour, barring injury.

Sorry DL, but that side just wouldn't be allowed to even take the field. Must have two complete front rows for a game to commence.

Aside from that, we should not be even considering sending out a second side against the Scots if we are serious about attempting the grand slam.

I think we will see a change at No 9 with Will Genia coming in for Phipps, and that might also see Cooper start at 10. It might be that Simmons will get a start to give one of Arnold or Coleman a rest off the bench, and Naivalu could start in place of Speight without weakening the side. But I'd say that would be about all the changes unless Poey is still out with slight concussion.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
We pick our best side. End of.

I want us to give the Grand Slam a real shake and we won't do it by resting and rotation. Besides, we're just starting to see the fruits of a few of the newer players getting some extended game time. Let's have them continue to play together and provide that platform for bigger things on this tour and the future.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Overall, I hope we keep the team structure as it is with some minor tinkering. I would schedule the pack finishers for 50 minute mark and go to a 6:2 bench split so that the key forwards are well rested. Its a long tour that just gets better quality opposition every week and we need our best players not to be fatigued for Ireland/England.

I would therefore go with:
1. Sio, 2. Moore, 3. Kepu
4. Arnold, 5. Coleman,
6. Pocock (if not concussed), 7. Hooper, 8. Timani,
9. Genia, 10. Cooper,
12. Hodge, 13. Kuridrani
11, DHP, 15. Folau, 14. Naivalu

16. Latu, 17. Slipper, 18. Robertson (rotating roughly equal finishing props)
19. Simmons (maybe Skelton), 20. Mumm, 21. McMahon
22. Phipps, 23. Foley

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
We pick our best side. End of.

I want us to give the Grand Slam a real shake and we won't do it by resting and rotation. Besides, we're just starting to see the fruits of a few of the newer players getting some extended game time. Let's have them continue to play together and provide that platform for bigger things on this tour and the future.

The only game we might rest players for is the French game

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
It'd be extremely unwise to not play our best XV against Scotland, for any number of reasons, the main one being Scotland are good!

They have 4 or 5 guys who should be in the thick of Lions talk next year and I think they'll probably be tougher opposition (despite what the bookies are saying). Plus they'll be fired at Murrayfield to try and right whatever 'injustice' they feel they were served last year. Hopefully NZ Nige isn't reffing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only game we might rest players for is the French game
Yes. The French Barbarians on a Tuesday is the game we will start the 'B' team.

I think we will continue playing a very similar team. Genia will come into the 23 but Phipps could have retained the starting role with Foley after a strong game.

I will be really interested to see if we can get another dominant scrum when Latu comes onto the field. I feel like he might add a real upside there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd probably keep the same side. I wouldn't rest anyone. That said if Pocock is a bit banged up, I don't think we necessarily have to risk him. McMahon is a strong replacement.

Maybe give Sefa a start over speight, who I think has been found out a bit on defence.

G

galumay

BDA, I think Cheika will slip Genia back into the team though.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BDA, I think Cheika will slip Genia back into the team though.

Hmmm, maybe not. On form yes, but Phipps was good last night and Genia isn't available for the Poms so he might want to keep working on the current combination. Definitely on the bench though if that's what you were meaning.

G

galumay

I think Genia will be in the run on side where he is available. I may well be incorrect, its just the way I read Cheika.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Particulary after Irelands defeat of AB's Cheika won't take any risks resting anyone. Best team out for sure.

Hence, Genia for Frisby. Then probably mumm starting (although Fardy played ok) and pocock on the bench (or Fardy if Pocock out with concussion).

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I would be surprised if Scotland don't put up a much better fight than Wales. That was the worst i've seen a Welsh side play in a very long time.

We've also been burnt by the Scots going in easy before.

Cooper, Genia in. I'd like to See a different Prop get a start as well but can't see it happening this tour.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Fardy actually had a very big second half against Wales. He was on the ball for the whole 40 minutes, made a couple of good ground gaining runs, was the most effective at slowing down the Welsh ball, made or almost made three or four turnovers and tackled anything that moved in his vicinity. He gave away one penalty I think which for all the world looked like Joubers was going to allow the turnover, but quite belatedly awarded Wales a penalty which did not incur points against us.

There is no way I will accept that Dean Mumm has anywhere near the impact on a game that Fardy has. There is an argument to keep Poey at 6 if not concussed, but I wouldn't. I'd start Fardy at 6 and have one of Pocock, McMahon or Hooper on the bench depending who starts at No 7.

I would also have Will Genia in preference to Phipps, who had his best game for a long time but still not to the standard Will has been playing this year. If people are right about Cheika playing combinations at 9/10, then that probably also means Cooper into No 10. No other changes to the backline, but I would really like to see Latu get a start at some stage to give Moore a rest (has he played every Super Rugby and every test this year - I think so) and just to see how he handles the big time. I thought he was quite good in his cameo last night.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If Poey is out I'd go McMahon at 6, I think he will absolutely carve up Scotland in attack.

Plus I don't mind having the line-out weakened for this test, The added pressure will be good practise leading into the next test, especially for Timani. Although McMahon is an okay option anyway.

Also, Genia in for Phipps, harsh on Phipps but Genia is in superb form and that is just too good to leave out.

Phipps will up the tempto in the last 30mins too which is what we need as we seemed to drop the pace a little - was disappointed in our bench apart from Frisby.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
If Poey is out I'd go McMahon at 6, I think he will absolutely carve up Scotland in attack.

Plus I don't mind having the line-out weakened for this test, The added pressure will be good practise leading into the next test, especially for Timani. Although McMahon is an okay option anyway.

Also, Genia in for Phipps, harsh on Phipps but Genia is in superb form and that is just too good to leave out.

Phipps will up the tempto in the last 30mins too which is what we need as we seemed to drop the pace a little - was disappointed in our bench apart from Frisby.

I think last night (and recent tests) have showed that Timani, Hooper and Pocock are all reasonable as 2nd jumpers. The execution of our lineout has been the real concern - not the number of jumpers.

If Pocock is out bring McMahon into 6. He's more than good enough in the air to fill the void by Pocock - I'd say hes approaching more of a 'primary' jumper role in terms of competency.

Status
Not open for further replies.