• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Scotland v Australia 12Nov16 Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If Poey is out I'd go McMahon at 6, I think he will absolutely carve up Scotland in attack.

100%.

I think the only lineout we lost was a fumble, not a jumping or throwing issue, and we even stole one of theirs. McMahon has a couple of inches on Poey and plays a more traditional 6 role and I'm happy to see both of Fardy and Mumm phased out of test rugby over the next couple of seasons *EDIT* on current form

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Michael, must say that I haven't recently noticed either Pocock or Hooper jumping in the lineout. Both have probably taken overthrows, but that is different to being a jumper. Timani can jump, as he showed last night. Just the call doesn't go his way often, which is probably a good thing - keep him as a surprise target. McMahon also can and does jump reasonably well.

I'd expect the Scottish lineout to be pretty strong so we'll possibly need a good third and fair fourth jumper to stay competitive. Neither of Hooper or Pocock would fill that bill in my eyes.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Michael, must say that I haven't recently noticed either Pocock or Hooper jumping in the lineout. Both have probably taken overthrows, but that is different to being a jumper. Timani can jump, as he showed last night. Just the call doesn't go his way often, which is probably a good thing - keep him as a surprise target. McMahon also can and does jump reasonably well.

I'd expect the Scottish lineout to be pretty strong so we'll possibly need a good third and fair fourth jumper to stay competitive. Neither of Hooper or Pocock would fill that bill in my eyes.
Timani at 2 and McMahon at the back would suffice.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I would start Phipps and Finish with Genia. Phipps is actually very good for one half he just starts making mistakes later on when he's knackered. I think Genia as a finisher as he tends to run the ball more and against tired forwards that's when our 9 should be looking to run.
I like how Phipps just get's the ball and delivers early that gave our big boppers time to wind up sometimes Genia crabs and gives them the ball as the defence is on them.
I would definitely stick with the same 23 except Genia on the bench for Frisby.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would start Phipps and Finish with Genia. Phipps is actually very good for one half he just starts making mistakes later on when he's knackered. I think Genia as a finisher as he tends to run the ball more and against tired forwards that's when our 9 should be looking to run.
I like how Phipps just get's the ball and delivers early that gave our big boppers time to wind up sometimes Genia crabs and gives them the ball as the defence is on them.
I would definitely stick with the same 23 except Genia on the bench for Frisby.

Nah I think start Genia, cooler head and decision maker early on. Plus he is in superb form.

Phipps will up the tempo when he comes on later in the match which will help avoid dropping the tempo late in the game. Which has been a notable weakness of ours.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
100%.

I think the only lineout we lost was a fumble, not a jumping or throwing issue, and we even stole one of theirs. McMahon has a couple of inches on Poey and plays a more traditional 6 role and I'm happy to see both of Fardy and Mumm phased out of test rugby over the next couple of seasons *EDIT* on current form
Ready made replacements in Staniforth and RHP.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
How about:

1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16. Hanson Moore
17. Robertson
18. Kepu
19. Mumm
20. McMahon
21. Phipps
22. Godwin
23. Folau

Two points here: we MUST build depth with every tour between now and RWC 2019, and some players (Sio, Moore, Hooper and Foley fer starters) shouldn't be driven into the ground. The best XV should be saved for Ireland and England; with all due respect to our sweatie cousins if our third XV can't beat them we should give the game away. My team has a generous sprinkling of players who either need a run or could otherwise be part of a first choice 23, and Timani and Hodge need game time in their new jumpers. At another time that XV could start for Australia.

Ledesma needs to work his magic with all of our front rows' scrummaging.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't attack wide when you haven't earned it against us.

Between Bennett, Visser, Hogg and Seymour, we get ludicrous numbers of intercept tries.

Hard yards up the guts, we've got good cover defence, not so much against big carries.

Don't try overly hard to dominate the scrum. Without Nel, we're not as good, but the key weakness is Ford's utter lack of hooking ability. Keep it in the tunnel as long as possible. It'll become clear to Clancy that we're at fault, not you.

Find that compromise between forcing Hogg to play a deeper defensive role (and expose his comparatively weaker defence than the other elite Full Backs) and giving him counter attacking opportunities.

Send Coleman in to niggle Wilson, he'll retaliate and get himself a worse punishment.

Don't concede penalties in the 22, or in the 22 - Right hand (defensive) touch line - 10 meter line - 15 meter line box. Laidlaw should kick them.

Kick your penalties and conversions. The team knows it's gonna break even on tries at best with other tier one Nations, and doesn't mind kicking to win because of it, that job gets much harder if you hit 90% of them.

Don't think I missed much.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
How about:

1. Slipper
2. Latu
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Simmons
5. Douglas
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Speight
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. Naivalu
15. DHP

16. Hanson
17. Robertson
18. Kepu
19. Mumm
10. McMahon
21. Phipps
22. Godwin
23. Folau

Two points here: we MUST build depth with every tour between now and RWC 2019, and some players (Sio, Hooper and Foley fer starters) shouldn't be driven into the ground. The best XV should be saved for Ireland and England; with all due respect to our sweatie cousins if our third XV can't beat them we should give the game away. My team has a generous sprinkling of players who either need a run or could otherwise be part of a first choice 23, and Timani and Hodge need game time in their new jumpers. At another time that XV could start for Australia.

Ledesma needs to work his magic with all of our front rows' scrummaging.
We actually have got really good depth at the moment. Ill run you through it:
THP/LHP: aaa, robertson, kepu, slipper, sio. (Soon to include thor)
Prop: Moore, TPN (is he on 60 caps?), Latu, ready
Second row: Coleman, Arnold (young, strong and the future)Simmons, Douglas, Mumm, Skelton
Loose forwards: Hooper, Pocock, Timani, McMahon, Fardy, Mumm (best in the world in both starters and depth. Leaving out a few names too).
9. Phipps, Genia (at one point the best in the world - getting back to it), Frisby
10: Foley, QC (Quade Cooper)
Outside backs: Sefa, speight, DHP, koro, Morahan, Folau (plenty young talent coming through kellaway etc)
Centres: Hodge, Kerevi, Kuridrani and, probably, Beale and To'omua when they are fit/available again.

You talk about the need for depth but Chek has quietly built a lot of depth with lots of new debutants, many who are now more or less first 15 quality. There is also a great deal of young talent to be explored yet. Im a tahs man so only really familiar with them but players like kellaway, simone, holloway and dempsey all promise a lot.

We don't need to play a weakened team to develop depth, its already there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thanks for that appraisal, Twoilms. By depth I mean putting a 15/23 on the paddock after injuries/withdrawals for whatever reasons/loss of form, etc. Surprisingly, the depth of the ABs was found to be wanting this morning against the Paddies, especially in the second row and outside backs. THIS is what I was alluding to in selecting a team to tackle Scotland. The Scottish test is exactly the sort of match when we should give the "almosts" and the "nexts" a run, at the same time giving the "definites who've played every game this year" a rest in preparation for the Irish and English tests to come.

It's all well and good to have the depth you list in your reply, but there comes a game when we have to see how good that depth is. For mine Scotland it is.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think it's wise to rotate the team given the long season. But when you look deeper there aren't a lot of players who actually need it to avoid burnout.

2 stand out to me, Hooper & Moore.

The rest are either backs in a less physical role or they have had limited game time anyway.
Coleman, Arnold, Pocock, Timani, Genia, Hodge, Foley, Kuridrani, wingers, have not played every test (far from it) this year so there should be only small chance of burnout from these guys.

Hooper should have a rest and Poey/McMahon are world-class cover.

Moore should rest too and this a good chance to give another Hooker a crack.

The props rarely play 80mins anyways so I don't see a big issue with continuing to start Sio / Kepu - just bring on the reserves at half-time and no later.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
@Lindommer, I don't agree that we need to make so many changes, but I'm surprised you would play someone with apparently a fractured jaw in your team.:)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
My team: Assuming Poey is out, rest Hooper & Moore, insert Genia. Keep Foley but Cooper to come on early to get a good gauge where he's at, His kicking game will be better against England later in the tour.

1. Sio
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Colman
5. Arnold
6. Fardy
7. McMahon
8. Timani
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Hodge
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. Ala'alatoa
17. Moore
18. Slipper
19. Simmons
20. Mumm
21. Phipps
22. Cooper
23. Naivalu

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Pocock broken jaw? Didn't read about that. If that's true McMahon to 7 and Hooper on the bench but to run on only if necessary, McMahon could do with a good gallop.

Something's wrong with Sio, either physically or technically. Maybe a niggle's affecting his technique. Take a week off, Scott, and rest whatever it is, or have some private lessons with Mario to address your over-reaching.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Pocock broken jaw? Didn't read about that. If that's true McMahon to 7 and Hooper on the bench but to run on only if necessary, McMahon could do with a good gallop.

Something's wrong with Sio, either physically or technically. Maybe a niggle's affecting his technique. Take a week off, Scott, and rest whatever it is, or have some private lessons with Mario to address your over-reaching.
Whilst wallabies continue to improve over last two games after watching Ireland's performance against all blacks will still need further improvement to best Ireland and England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Not Poey Lindo - Hanson.

Status
Not open for further replies.