• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
The 9A comp has been very close - but there's not a split hair between PAD, VILLA and ASH from what I've seen. PAD led ASH all game to be beaten in literally the last minute of the game. That said the sides were close in ability. PAD scored first against VILLA with VILLA going to the break 10-7 (mostly from astute kicks) - VILLA got home on the back of some over-zealous officiating in favour of VILLA - all schools have "that one ref" - let's call it a home ground advantage hmmm - VILLA and PAD evenly matched with PAD forwards slightly more dominant and VILLA backs creating a few more opportunities through cross-field kicks - great comp and will be a cracker First XV comp down the track - IMO ASH looked stronger than VILLA in the 9A's - watch this space -

My understanding is that Ashgrove have several forwards out injured in the 9A's, on top of losing two other forwards to BGS since last year.

As a result the Ash 9A's pack is under-strength but the backs look pretty good. Still, Villa should start favourites v Ash at home in the last round.

Ash 10A's don't look to have much opposition, it will be interesting to see how many of that team can force their way into a strong First XV in 2018.

I've been of the view since the start of the year that the Ash First XV's in 2018 and 2019 will be stronger than this year's team, but they might start to struggle after that.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
It will probably take you that long to get over your hangover from what I hear

Just don't operate any heavy machinery tomorrow
To the trouble maker who told u that, at least I had the sense to leave my wife at home and not ditch her at the party

chriskent

Frank Row (1)
I went out to the lauries v Eddies game on saturday and my thoughts are that next week will be a very challenging game for both teams and could possibly determine 2017s premiership team. Also i noticed young Flanker Sheehan came back for his return in the firsts as the starting 6 for Lauries to continue his 3rd year of firsts rugby, he is definitely a contender for the AIC 1 team this year, he'll have to step it up as he's missed the first few rounds. The other Flanker that plays hooker as well for laurie's is one to look at for AIC and/or bench. In the game i noticed the 10 from SLC plays an influential role in the team as the playmaker. fpt the game itself SLC came out firing as they put points on the board pretty quickly and fell apart in the last 10 in the second half letting Eddies score a few soft tries.

Possible AIC Players and Bench players
MCA - 15(BUCKNELL), 9(DAY), 10, 13, 7, 1/3(EMOSI), 12
PATS - 8, 5, 4, 2(played last year)
PAD - 12, 13, 3, 5, 11
VILLA - 8(PRICE), 13
SLC - 15, 9(RUTHERFORD), 6(SHEEHAN), 6/2(BURGE), 10
SPLC - 11, 14, 10
IONA - 15, 13
SEC - 12

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
The 9A comp has been very close - but there's not a split hair between PAD, VILLA and ASH from what I've seen. PAD led ASH all game to be beaten in literally the last minute of the game. That said the sides were close in ability. PAD scored first against VILLA with VILLA going to the break 10-7 (mostly from astute kicks) - VILLA got home on the back of some over-zealous officiating in favour of VILLA - all schools have "that one ref" - let's call it a home ground advantage hmmm - VILLA and PAD evenly matched with PAD forwards slightly more dominant and VILLA backs creating a few more opportunities through cross-field kicks - great comp and will be a cracker First XV comp down the track - IMO ASH looked stronger than VILLA in the 9A's - watch this space -
Well I didn't see the whole game , as I said in an earlier post , but Villa looked in control against Padua to me - from what I saw the ref went both ways - but maybe not - Ash and Villa in the last game should be a cracker - but Villa sources tell me that they have beaten Ash last two years - so MCA out for revenge ? Should be brilliant - for Grade 9 Boys they play great rugby to watch. Although Villa play Iona this weekend and that school always lifts against Villanova (local derby) and Iona have some good players. It's great to see the lower grades producing terrific rugby. It's good for the comp in coming years

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
I went out to the lauries v Eddies game on saturday and my thoughts are that next week will be a very challenging game for both teams and could possibly determine 2017s premiership team. Also i noticed young Flanker Sheehan came back for his return in the firsts as the starting 6 for Lauries to continue his 3rd year of firsts rugby, he is definitely a contender for the AIC 1 team this year, he'll have to step it up as he's missed the first few rounds. The other Flanker that plays hooker as well for laurie's is one to look at for AIC and/or bench. In the game i noticed the 10 from SLC plays an influential role in the team as the playmaker. fpt the game itself SLC came out firing as they put points on the board pretty quickly and fell apart in the last 10 in the second half letting Eddies score a few soft tries.

Possible AIC Players and Bench players
MCA - 15(BUCKNELL), 9(DAY), 10, 13, 7, 1/3(EMOSI), 12
PATS - 8, 5, 4, 2(played last year)
PAD - 12, 13, 3, 5, 11
VILLA - 8(PRICE), 13
SLC - 15, 9(RUTHERFORD), 6(SHEEHAN), 6/2(BURGE), 10
SPLC - 11, 14, 10
IONA - 15, 13
SEC - 12

What are your guys thoughts on this?
Lots of competition for a few spots it looks like to me - but coaches will probably lean towards winning teams and therefore combinations I would think?

Stan Wickham (3)
Looking through the 2016 AIC thread there are 5 players that made the AIC XV last year who are in year 12 this year;

SLC - 9 (Rutherford)
SPC - 2 (SMITH) 8 (Connors) 12 (Knop)
MCA - 15 (Bucknell)

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Last year St Pats had more AIC reps than Padua? Padua were undefeated. Possibly coaches picks??
This year MCA is clearly the best team and likely to put 50+ points on every other team in the comp except Padua in round 1.
If they dont make up at least a third of the AIC squad something is really wrong. Pats and Padua should also have a few in there but not to the same degree, SLC 3, with the others 1 or possibly 2 each.
The MCA 2 played all over St Pats 2 on the weekend.
On form SLC 15 should get the nod as 15. Bucknell will still figure in the squad though. Same for both MCA and SLC 9s.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
U15 Met East Team selected today

6 AIC Reps out of 22 player squad

2. SLC
5. Villa
13. SLC ( 15 )
15. SLC ( 10 )
18. Iona
20. Villa

Met North trials tomorrow

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Last year St Pats had more AIC reps than Padua? Padua were undefeated. Possibly coaches picks??
This year MCA is clearly the best team and likely to put 50+ points on every other team in the comp except Padua in round 1.
If they dont make up at least a third of the AIC squad something is really wrong. Pats and Padua should also have a few in there but not to the same degree, SLC 3, with the others 1 or possibly 2 each.
The MCA 2 played all over St Pats 2 on the weekend.
On form SLC 15 should get the nod as 15. Bucknell will still figure in the squad though. Same for both MCA and SLC 9s.

To be clear Padua had minimal players due to most of the team opting to play Confraternity Shield rather than trial. St Pats was clearly the next best team last year and that showed in the selections.
In regards to this year though Ashgrove should make up the crux of the AIC squad

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Admittedly not relevant to AIC rugby in 2017, but does anyone know what's happened to Padua's Michael Wood since he finished school last year?

I know he suffered a season-ending arm injury in mid-2016 which may have cost him an Australian Schools spot, but I haven't seen or heard of him in 2017.

I'm just curious, because he certainly looked to have a big rugby career ahead of him pre-injury and he'd only be turning 18 this year.

chriskent

Frank Row (1)
I saw some of the villa game on the weekend and thought that the 8 Paddy Price is one of the best number 8's and or forwards to come through school boy rugby ever. he is the next david pocock

pundit

Herbert Moran (7)
Admittedly not relevant to AIC rugby in 2017, but does anyone know what's happened to Padua's Michael Wood since he finished school last year?

I know he suffered a season-ending arm injury in mid-2016 which may have cost him an Australian Schools spot, but I haven't seen or heard of him in 2017.

I'm just curious, because he certainly looked to have a big rugby career ahead of him pre-injury and he'd only be turning 18 this year.

I heard he was back training at Brothers in recent weeks. That injury last year must have really knocked him around. Hopefully we'll see him back on the paddock soon.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
After seeing four Rounds of AIC games this year, yet to see a Padua or Iona game, my pick of the crop is as follows. MCA 7- just a great footballer. Busy, tough and makes a real difference to that team. SPC 8 - kudos to Pats for a great year and I think his kid is one of the reasons for this. Outstanding. SLC 15 - Dynamic. Things just happen when he gets the ball. On top of some of the best defense I have seen from a custodian.
Looking forward to the rest of a cracking season. My pick for the premiership is definitely MCA. A cut above. Best overall AIC comp in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
U15 Met North Trials yesterday - and am hearing 6 x AIC Reps from the 22 player squad

5 x Marist ( 4, 7, 9, 15 and not sure of last spot )
1 x Pats ( 9 )

I don't believe any Padua players were in the mix

Marist definitely would have had at least a couple of more had all their players decided to trial

Tall Paul

Stan Wickham (3)
U15 Met North Trials yesterday - and am hearing 6 x AIC Reps from the 22 player squad

5 x Marist ( 4, 7, 9, 15 and not sure of last spot )
1 x Pats ( 9 )

I don't believe any Padua players were in the mix

Marist definitely would have had at least a couple of more had all their players decided to trial

St Pats Number 8 the other selection was and a Halves reserve.

Other MCA selection was a 2nd Row whom i think was formerly a Padua boy.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Right you are TP

I just wasn't sure the 8 was still at Pats - haven't seen him run out for the Shamrocks this season :)

Yeah and I had the ex Padua guy down as 4 in my original post

6 in Met East , 7 in North , probs none in West when it gets selected next Monday ( St Peters haven't even told their players ) Might get an Eddies random .

A JPC Rep and a State School kid in East

All other spots GPS . Nudgee dominant in North with 8 .

Status
Not open for further replies.