• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Hurricanes QF - Friday 21 July - 7:35pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I can see a Larkham strategy to play it in the forwards this week. Good as the Canes forwards are, their backs are better.
Focus on winning the set piece, inside runners, pick and go, unders lines, half back darts, and keep possession.
Takes away the brilliance of Savea, the Barretts, ... the list goes on.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
BTW, I read BJ's preview and then watched that video from 1997. Hot damn, what a team that Brumbies outfit was back then. How do we get back to playing attacking running footy like that again?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
BTW, I read BJ's preview and then watched that video from 1997. Hot damn, what a team that Brumbies outfit was back then. How do we get back to playing attacking running footy like that again?

After that I watched the Brumbies finals win against the Stormers in Cape Town from 2 years ago that they were tipped to lose, but piled on the tries with a Joe Tomane triple in the first half...........

And it just reminded me of how much Australian rugby misses Ita Vaea.

M

Moono75

"Back to the Days of Attacking Rugby 2"......might need one of these!

dtm.jpg

M

Moono75

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Maybe this is the problem with Australian Rugby. Do our guys do this stuff? Not a requirement but it probably helps improve hand eye coordination and would be useful to catch someone out on a chip kick through using the other foot.

Good NZ propaganda too.

Yep Moono, I think it part of enjoying the game,finish off with a bit of kicking with wrong foot etc, and even in 2nd Lion's test Jordie had ball at halftime, as he walked off he turned and did a dropkick from the halfway, it went over, I really think most of the players in NZ really have fun playing, it not perhaps just their job? I always say a case in point of Dan Carter converting the last try in 2015 WC final with his right foot, said he always wanted to do it in a test, and it all part of the fun.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I can see a Larkham strategy to play it in the forwards this week. Good as the Canes forwards are, their backs are better.
Focus on winning the set piece, inside runners, pick and go, unders lines, half back darts, and keep possession.
Takes away the brilliance of Savea, the Barretts, . the list goes on.

Absolutely, this is their only (albeit slim) chance. Keep it tight, defend like demons, and make the most of every crumb of possession. 15 against 15.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't forget anyone who touches lealiifano is going to the bin. I'm sure the ref will explain that before kickoff to both captains.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Definitely the story of impotent offence (least clean breaks, least metres, 2nd least defenders beaten, least offloads, 3rd least points scored) and solid defence (2nd best tackle rate, 3rd least points conceded, 4th least tries conceded, least clean breaks conceded) from the Brumbies, while the Hurricanes have a slightly better defence (6th best tackle rate, 2nd least points conceded, 3rd least tries conceded, 4th least clean breaks conceded) and a fantastic offence (Most points, most tries, most clean breaks, 3rd most metres, 3rd most defenders beaten, 6th most offloads).

But every Brumbies win this season has come when they've held a team to fewer than three tries, and the Hurricanes haven't won this season with fewer than four. The average points conceded of the two teams is essentially the same (18), but the median (a fairer reflection) puts the Brumbies three points better in this regard (17 v 20). If the Brumbies put on an inspired defensive performance, and use their competition-leading set piece well, they could sneak something here. We've picked a brick wall of a backline, from 9 to 15, and have a forward pack full of workhorses. I expect to see Sio, Carter, Fardy, and Alcock everywhere, and the pace of Dargaville and Banks will be essential to deal with the Hurricanes when they eventually do make an opportunity behind the line.

However, if the Brumbies concede more than three tries, it's probably over; they've only scored more than 30 points three times this season, all of them against some of the worst defenders in the competition. Hoping for a 25-17 win. Expecting a 10-36 loss.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Already down to 7 deg, forecast to be 2-3 deg with apparent temp around 0 deg by kick-off. At least not too much wind. Blardy cold!

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
Cold weather probably won't favour either side. If it's dry a Barrett brother clinic is in store I'm afraid. Canes by 20.

Pretty impressive video of Jordie kicking the sideline conversion with his left foot. Almost certainly the best player of the 5 brothers!

Status
Not open for further replies.