• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Shute Shield 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There is a stream of the West Harbour Pirates v Manly Marlins game today on the West Harbour Facebook page. The commentary is a couple of Wests fans, so I wouldn't call it impartial but I guess it's for Wests fans which is great for them. You can hear the chants (Push it etc) that the fans do at the games. As well as some of the fans complaints to the refs. Club rugby is alive and well!

https://www.facebook.com/WestHarbourRugby/

paul martin

Ted Fahey (11)
62-52 is an astonishing scoreline for any match. Tackling clearly optional today. It's also astonishing that any team at all could put 62 points on Manly. They are the minor premiers after all. I wonder if the team was full strength?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
An absolute ball tearer at Coogee I thought. It really typifies how good the Shield has been this season. You look at a bloke like Jed Holloway and wonder how he isn't a big time player. Cheika doesn't rate him but bloody hell I do.

Some players just do not make the step up. Luke Jones was another one.

forwards4ever

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Checked round 13.
David Horwitz and Ben O'Donnell points missing in 1st grade --- lifts total to about 79, well under the 100.
Jesse Harris missing in 2nd grade --- lifts total to 54 (<60).
All colts have points and both totals under the cap.

Are you referring to another round?

This is what I was talking about!!

Randwick stripped of 20 competition points in 3rd Colts for cheating the player points system"

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
F4E - probably the wrong thread, so apologies in advance..

I don't have a copy of the SRU competition rules (yet) - however, IF the competition rules refer ONLY to Australian (U20) or Australian A (U20) players, then perhaps there is a flaw in the competition rules.

Remembering that the discussion relates to 3rd Grade Colts - I agree with a previous poster ( on the Colts thread IIRC) - that , IMHO, it SHOULD include all U20 players who have BEEN SELECTED in a representative team - and adding in my opinion that should also include players who have been selected in the NSW U20's.

How ridiculous to exclude NSW U20's players, when they are the players who (potentially) make up the higher rep teams !

If people (read SRU) are serious about this - make it explicit in the competition rules.

If it isn't - it will be open to interpretation....and subversion ( by those pesky armchair lawyer types !!)

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
This is what I was talking about!!

Randwick stripped of 20 competition points in 3rd Colts for cheating the player points system"

Pity you didn't present all the facts, maybe as they didn't support your argument???

They didn't cheat the player points system as there are no player points in colts 3s.

" Honest mistake of playing 2 players returning from injury who had played Schoolboys Baba's the previous year. One of whom is in Year 12 currently at school. We were not aware of the new ruling introduced that prevents Baba players playing in 3's. One of the games we were deducted 5 points for, the player in question only played 2 minutes before having to come off injured and that game we lost.
Anyway we've copped the points deduction on the chin, but rest assured it was an honest mistake."

Not sure how the clubs were advised of this as it doesn't appear in section 7.3 Guidelines for the 2017 season.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Hope nobody injured their hands from touching the ball carriers as they ran past ;)
You obviously weren't at the game, otherwise you wouldn't express such a cynical & uninformed opinion.The game featured some brilliant & non stop play from both teams., with plenty of big hits in defence.Or maybe you're still smarting from Randwick's loss to West the previous week ?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hope nobody injured their hands from touching the ball carriers as they ran past ;)

Coach - unfortunately BJ did bust his hand literally early in the game, cruel way to finish a season after his awesome return from Cronic Fatigue which he battle from last year.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
You obviously weren't at the game, otherwise you wouldn't express such a cynical & uninformed opinion.The game featured some brilliant & non stop play from both teams., with plenty of big hits in defence.Or maybe you're still smarting from Randwick's loss to West the previous week ?

Being fair, I've never seen coach make cynical comments - he wouldn't have been there because he would have been where Randwick were playing home or away, so uniformed maybe.

Some posters are cynical and can at times deserve the wrath of Done That ;).

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Yep, definitely still smarting from the loss and I made the same comment about some of the Wicks defenders after that game.

Lighten up "Done That", I was joking not being cynical.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
Coach - unfortunately BJ did bust his hand literally early in the game, cruel way to finish a season after his awesome return from Cronic Fatigue which he battle from last year.

That's really bad news Dave, he's has a rough time for such a talented player.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think you're being a bit thin skinned.
You can't have 9 tries to 8 without there being some serious defensive deficiencies.
West Harbour played well and deserved their win, and could have made things interesting had they qualified next week.
Loudon is coach of the year for sure, if they continue their trajectory they are going to be scary good next year.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
In general terms I agree with you about the defence, but there are games when the defence is so good that there are few opportunities to score.
But this was a game when the attack was so good from both teams , that the usual standard of defence was just not good enough to prevent the try fest that occurred.
Unfortunately , these sorts of games don't occur very often , because it provided great entertainment for spectators , including the Rugby purists , with the result in doubt right up to the end.
And anyone who thinks that Manly weren't giving it 100% , didn't see their disappointment & hear their comments after the game.

KiwiBattler

Bob McCowan (2)
How do we go about finding the fixtures for Qualifying finals across *all grades?*

Shute Shield facebook has published first grade, I'm wondering about the rest as well though?

Status
Not open for further replies.