• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

1981 Springbok tour to NZ - 30 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
At the very most I think they should observe that person and see if they witness the person committing a crime.

I don't think someone should be detained and searched based on someone saying that a person may be carrying drugs.

In most cases, I would say acting on that sort of second hand information is a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
At the very most I think they should observe that person and see if they witness the person committing a crime.

I don't think someone should be detained and searched based on someone saying that a person may be carrying drugs.

In most cases, I would say acting on that sort of second hand information is a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Wow. I disagree with all of your points.

If the police don't act they are in serious dereliction of their duty. Someone in the right location and matching the description of a reported drug dealer is obviously reasonable grounds for suspicion. It may be inconvenient to have to have you pockets searched but that is just unfortunate.

No story here folks.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Ok, so you think police acting on information given to them by your daughter is a complete waste of taxpayer money.

Agree to disagree!!

On a side note, it is interesting to see boks taking the side of the journo and kiwis the police. I know if same situation in SA, I'd still side with the SA police big time.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The 'witness' didn't just say he had seen committing a crime, didn't they say that they were actually offered the drugs themselves?

For people who live in a country where the radio runs ads telling people to call up and report any behaviour you might deem suspicious for terrorist activity, this whole debate is quite amusing.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Christ major twist the facts much!!! Your daughter!!

Kiwis V SAFFA both with NO facts and passionate Kiwi's protecting there perfect country where racism is called a form of political correctness gone wrong

Lock this thread.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Kiwis V SAFFA both with NO facts and passionate Kiwi's protecting there perfect country where racism is called a form of political correctness gone wrong

Lock this thread.
No Boet you dont lock these threads. You discuss it. Thats the only way you move forward.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)

Lock this thread.

Perhaps read the thread.. just an idea. If your open to debate, then lets continue. If you can't stand differing opinions, I guess a web forum ain't for you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sport24
Taupo residents who witnessed the scene expressed sympathy for Ngobeni.

"There are some idiots in the pig factory (police station) in this town," said an elderly man.

Another commented "you will find that the police pick up all the... old cars with black drivers".

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
LOVING, ABSOLUTELY LOVING, the Rugby World Cup!
But not the media, and certain posters stupid obsessions.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

Lock this thread.

OK....that's just f**kn bullshit.

Kiwi's, especially ones like me who are not middle-class caucasian, know that NZ is far from being racism free. But we are f**ckn a LONG way from where countries like SA and even Australia are.

In my first year here in Aussie, Timana Tahu was being vilified by people because of the SOO stance he took. The people I talked to at work etc seemed to think that Tahu was being precious for taking a stance over Andrew Johns calling people 'black c**nts'. It was f**kn ridiculous.

And here's something I hate......South African's who move to NZ and think because they lived in arpartheid and/or the issues in SA now, they are the authorities on what is racism and what isn't even on issues around the Treaty of Waitangi....

This case has nothing to do with racism - I'd be one of the first to shout 'racist' if it was - but also having intimate, first-hand knowledge of the damage that drugs can do I have no problem with what the police have done as reported.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
You right this case has nothing to do with racism so I am not sure what the hell your rant is all about!!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Wow. I disagree with all of your points.

If the police don't act they are in serious dereliction of their duty. Someone in the right location and matching the description of a reported drug dealer is obviously reasonable grounds for suspicion. It may be inconvenient to have to have you pockets searched but that is just unfortunate.

No story here folks.

Again, without knowing all the facts in this particular circumstance it is hard to comment. However, as I interpret the events, if I was in a club/pub/night club precinct and I was asked to empty my pockets as I had been (incorrectly) identified by another patron as offering drugs to someone, I would feel slightly aggrieved. However, if I was asked to jump into a police vehicle, in a public place, and be accompanied to a police station for questioning/a search to be conducted, I would be extremely annoyed or embarrassed!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
You right this case has nothing to do with racism so I am not sure what the hell your rant is all about!!

Because the SA reporter said is was racism. I can understand a possible argument that our police drug search and seizure laws are too liberal - not one that this person was targetted because of the colour of this skin.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
OK....that's just f**kn bullshit.

Kiwi's, especially ones like me who are not middle-class caucasian, know that NZ is far from being racism free. But we are f**ckn a LONG way from where countries like SA and even Australia are.

In my first year here in Aussie, Timana Tahu was being vilified by people because of the SOO stance he took. The people I talked to at work etc seemed to think that Tahu was being precious for taking a stance over Andrew Johns calling people 'black c**nts'. It was f**kn ridiculous.

And here's something I hate......South African's who move to NZ and think because they lived in arpartheid and/or the issues in SA now, they are the authorities on what is racism and what isn't even on issues around the Treaty of Waitangi....

This case has nothing to do with racism - I'd be one of the first to shout 'racist' if it was - but also having intimate, first-hand knowledge of the damage that drugs can do I have no problem with what the police have done as reported.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Timana Tahu not implicated in a racial incident involving a younger club player not long after the Andrew John's issue? (http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-blasts-the-nrl/story-e6frf3ou-1226022964125)

What makes you any more qualified to consider whether an incident has racial connotations to it than anyone else?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but was Timana Tahu not implicated in a racial incident involving a younger club player not long after the Andrew John's issue? (http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-blasts-the-nrl/story-e6frf3ou-1226022964125)

What makes you any more qualified to consider whether an incident has racial connotations to it than anyone else?

This question is not in relation to the original topic as I do not believe that there was racism involved in the accusation of the journalist.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Yea and just like most here I hate it when the race card is used!!

My argument was about a PERCEIVED heavy handed action by the cops on the basis of someone.....who hell knows. Possibly with a axe to grind?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

1. Tahu denied the allegations steadfastly - John admitted to it.

2. Even if it the allegations were true, would that then make John's comments OK and alright? And a lot of the public's attitude to them?

3. In this case, the police detained and searched a man on suspicions of drug dealing as per the protocols and procedures set-up by the NZ police force. The police apologised for the inconvenience and escourted him back. Apart from him being black, as per the report they received, is there any reason for thinking this was racially motivated. Maybe they should have picked up a white guy as well just to cover their arse.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hypothetical situation.. your daughter comes home and says somebody in a club tried to sell her drugs. You go the cop station and she states what happened & describes the person and location.

The cops go to the place and see somebody matching the description.

What do you think they should do?

OK... to rephrase, how would you feel if your daughter was in a club, someone has called the police saying a girl offered them drugs with a vague description of the person. The police go to the club, see your daughter and decide to detain her on suspicion of drug dealing, take her to the police station and make her undress to prove she isn't carrying any drugs.

I'd be guessing that you would be completely outraged.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
OK... to rephrase, how would you feel if your daughter was in a club, someone has called the police saying a girl offered them drugs with a vague description of the person. The police go to the club, see your daughter and decide to detain her on suspicion of drug dealing, take her to the police station and make her undress to prove she isn't carrying any drugs.

I'd be guessing that you would be completely outraged.

Undress? Here is his exact quote:

I was searched, but fortunately not naked, just my trenchcoat, pockets, shoes and the inner part of my jeans.

Of course I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but as long as the police handled their job professionally & once things were proven to be BS, then I wouldn't have any issue at all.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Undress? Here is his exact quote:

I was searched, but fortunately not naked, just my trenchcoat, pockets, shoes and the inner part of my jeans.

Of course I wouldn't be over the moon about it, but as long as the police handled their job professionally & once things were proven to be BS, then I wouldn't have any issue at all.

Hypothetical situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.