• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 QLD Club Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chief

spectator said:
Does anyone know whether Leroy Houston is still at Norths? I did hear that he also was going to Sunnybank. On paper a big loss for Norths but I have been less than impressed with his work ethic at club level.

Any Norths supporters on these boards? They had a credible 6th placed finish last year and will boast a few handy backs in the form of Genia, Connor (who absolutely rips it up at this level) and Bond. Forwards are a bit of an unknown but they have recruited Sione Faumaina, ex NZ league player.

Norths supporter here. I think Houston is a good loss for Norths. Constant poor attitude, and stupid on field decisions. Disappointed.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lion said:
Gents,

Saifoloi has been offered a full sscholaraship with Uni as has Junior Rosalea.

Paulu Alu Emille is rumoured to be off to Souths, I assumed Sunny Bank but I think there will be a tug of war.
Not sure how Souths can compete (as we all dipped into our pockets to bail them out) but they have been very active in recruiting.

GPS could be in trouble despite flashing the cash for some players (alledgedly) they have lost Bev Tiquiri and Mark Bennedict there 10's. Adam Hinds the reserve 10/15has gone to souths. They still dont have a colts coach.

Brothers have recruited well especially picking up Luke Beauchamp the Marist 1st xv Captain. This kid could be something special in a couple of years. This also highlights how much GPS colts program has eroded after the loss of Laney, Zangari and Vortin.

Norths may struggle as Leroy Houston has gone to Sunny Bank and you Nigel Genia (BBC) has gone to Wests which could hamper the Colts program.

My predictions for 2010

Premier Grade - Brothers Daylight second, a good team and good recruitment. The addition of Carl Marshall to the Premier Coaching staff will add to their attack.

Souths may be the only competition.

Smokey for the top 4 Uni.

Premier Colts

Easts with a lot of players returning and most of the State High 1st Xv joining them they will be hard to beat.
Very good coaches as well

Uni - Money talks well tax payers dollars any way

SB - You cant buy love but you can buy a Rugby side

Brothers - Jeff Miller is running the show and most of the side returning they will be hard to beat

Smokey - Wests recruited the best of the unknowns. Made a lot of progresss with the development of the Colts program under Carl Marshall (Love to know why he went to Brothers) Vorton has taken over and should continue.

Souths - like West should be competitive but will depend on depth and retention of players.

He missed out on the Premier gig at Wests. It will be quite interesting to see how Brothers go this year. Zane Hilton has lost both assistants from 09 and a couple of key players but they had some talent in an underperforming Colts team last year that they might call on.
Wests should improve with Roger Gould taking over as Director of Rugby and Rod Murdock as coach.

In Colts Gold Coast would be a great chance of making the top 2 as I hear they are quite busy at the moment chasing down players.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In terms of what clubs offer players there are quite a few things.
1) Money - Not as popular as you would think due to tax laws, there is a bit of under the table payments that go on though.
2) Cars - has been used by a few clubs that I have come across. Not always the best quality but they seem to be popular amongst players.
3) Accommodation - Used for country, interstate and overseas players. A couple of clubs have houses leased for players but they tend to be under the names of committee members.
4) Goods and services - Fuel cards, washing machines, HECS debts, gym memberships and travel are just some of the things that I have seen clubs pay for on behalf of players
5) Opportunity - Some players will change clubs as they think that the grass is greener. Others will follow coaches or may be promised a position in a team. I have also heard of a couple of clubs just bad mouthing other places and convincing players to change (some justified and others not)

The one thing that I have always found strange about the whole recruitment process is player retention. How do guys that have given years of service to a club feel when some mercenary comes in and is provided with payment for something they are happy to do for free?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Lindommer said:
Rex T played for the Broncos on 2008/09. Went well by all accounts.

TOCC said:
ha, yes it is the Box Hill Broncos, he played a few games for them earlier this year after he returned home from rugby union in japan, he then moved up to the Gold Coast and played in the premier grade with them for the rest of the year.

I saw Rex T play 2 games for Box Hill. One at the start of the season and one at the end (the Granny). I wouldn
t exactly write home about him. He was outclassed by some unknown but hard working Melbourne boys.
It's the Box Hill 15 you boys up-state should keep an eye on.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
en_force_er said:
Lindommer said:
Rex T played for the Broncos on 2008/09. Went well by all accounts.

TOCC said:
ha, yes it is the Box Hill Broncos, he played a few games for them earlier this year after he returned home from rugby union in japan, he then moved up to the Gold Coast and played in the premier grade with them for the rest of the year.

I saw Rex T play 2 games for Box Hill. One at the start of the season and one at the end (the Granny). I wouldn
t exactly write home about him. He was outclassed by some unknown but hard working Melbourne boys.It's the Box Hill 15 you boys up-state should keep an eye on.
Maybe he had two bad games? I've seen him a couple of times and he looked pretty handy. Hopefully he gets some exposure playing with Sunnybank this year and generates some interest from the Rebels.

C

chief

I know for certain that Paul has gone to Sunnybank. Everyone wanted Paul but he has chosen Sunnybank and it is all confirmed for him.

S

straightshooter

chief said:
I know for certain that Paul has gone to Sunnybank. Everyone wanted Paul but he has chosen Sunnybank and it is all confirmed for him.
Sunnybank have truckloads of $$$$$ and Head can afford to buy a team- unfortunately it is sucked out of the local community by the dreaded pokies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
spectator said:
Maybe he had two bad games? I've seen him a couple of times and he looked pretty handy. Hopefully he gets some exposure playing with Sunnybank this year and generates some interest from the Rebels.

Perhaps I was a tad harsh. There weren't bad games but he wasn't exactly noticeable in them. You'd expect a S14 quality player playing in Melbourne would sick out.

To be honest it was probably more a lack of ball than anything. You could blaim the inside backs or conditions.

Though, good players tend to make sure they find the ball or at least a way to make an impact regardless of the situation.

T

TOCC

Maybe he just wasnt interested, I know Rex was a standout player when moved up to the Gold Coast last year

S

straightshooter

TOCC said:
Maybe he just wasnt interested, I know Rex was a standout player when moved up to the Gold Coast last year

Saw Rex T play with Breakers and was special particularly when he played with his little brother Ben - has Rex gone to Sunnybank with Ben.

It may be they both return to Gold Coast next year in 2011 - you never know - rumours rumours rumours

T

TOCC

straightshooter said:
TOCC said:

Saw Rex T play with Breakers and was special particularly when he played with his little brother Ben - has Rex gone to Sunnybank with Ben.

It may be they both return to Gold Coast next year in 2011 - you never know - rumours rumours rumours
i reckon they will be moving south in 2011, but i dont think they are going to be stopping at the Gold Coast, express ticket to Melbourne for those two fellas.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Is Mike Hercus still at the Sunshine Coast? I hope Turinui and Braid have some game time with them this year. Would like to see them competitive.

GoldCoast will be interesting. I thought their forwards went okay last year but the backline will definitely miss the Tapuai brothers.

S

straightshooter

spectator said:
Is Mike Hercus still at the Sunshine Coast? I hope Turinui and Braid have some game time with them this year. Would like to see them competitive.

GoldCoast will be interesting. I thought their forwards went okay last year but the backline will definitely miss the Tapuai brothers.

Agree totally - should be strong up front but without the Tap brothers big big hole - Ben just gave the Breakers more options - think he would be a great 10 at top level - heaps of skills, keeps others guessing and does have that illusive "x" factor - his brother seemed to compliment Ben and vice versa

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
TOCC said:
unsub god said:
Does anyone now where oz schoolboy flyhalf Rohan Saifoloi is playing ?
i heard his out playing with uni

I was talking to one of the guys at Uni who told me they didn't have a big name 10 for this year.

Also Liam Gill played in the Darwin 7's for Sunnybank last weekend.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I think the Reds are being split up to do promotional work around Brisbane clubs today. Should be a good thrill for the kiddies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, they have been assigned clubs as ambassadors, so they stick with those clubs for the season and apparently come down regularlty. We have Matty Lucas and James Hanson - a couple of good Terrace boys.

T

TOCC

10 of the Reds players are also in Toowoomba tommorow doing a open day with the juniors

T

TOCC

Big developments for Sunnybank in 2010

Coaching:
Premier Grade
Head Coach - Rob Nowlan
Assistant Coaches - Tim Sampson

Roy Saunders the 2009 premier coach will take over the Premier Colts coaching role

Also in terms of facilities, the club will be building a outdoor fitness centre this will be used for activities such as chin ups, dips and core strength (pilates) activities as well as a tackling and wrestling sand pit. A 300m shuttle will also be permanently marked.

Budget approval has been made for the construction in late 2010 of a player’s gymnasium. Situated alongside the 4 floodlit fields. Following on from this will be the extension of the clubhouse to include an outdoor canteen, enclosed clubhouse and bar and expanded office and storage facilities.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
http://www.scru.com.au/article.php?id=314&category=stingrays

With the signing of a Wallabies legend and the inclusion of a new sponsor, the rumours are stirring with players and fans alike ... this is the year of the Stingray.

In an exciting development and boost of moral for the club, the Stingrays have signed Toutai Kefu, former Australian No 8 to coach and play for the side.

The branded 'big game player' has been recruited for his experience, professionalism and character ahead of the 2010 season.

This announcement will surely have a positive effect of the Sunshine Coast Rugby, as well as providing a genuine Rugby hero for the players to look up to for guidance.

"We have focused on improving the culture amongst the team before anything else," said head coach Glen Panoho.

"We want to instil our clubs values and standards at the grass roots to boost community support in setting the pathway to success."

This is where the experience and knowledge of Kefu will certainly be warranted.

A reserved family man off the felid, Kefu is in complete contrast while playing, feared by opponents for his brute force and running power.

With 55 test caps and an impressive 50 points scored at test level, not to mention the experience necessary for good coaching, this powerful Queenslander will be a force to be reckoned with wearing the sky blue this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.