• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 Wallabies End of Year Tour (EOYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Time to start looking ahead to the EOYT, which kicks off (hopefully) in Hong Kong against the All Blacks, before heading to Europe and Britain.

Midweek games are back following the success of last years encounters- one against English side Leicester and another against Irish side Munster. Hopefully after the RWC next year the Northern Hemisphere sides will play Southern clubs on the Mid-Year tours, rather than "A" teams (although these games were somewhat successful).

Here's the schedule for the Wallabies' 2010 EOYT.

30-10-2010 Wallabies v All Blacks Hong Kong Stadium, Hong Kong

06-11-2010 Wales v Wallabies Millennium Stadium, Cardiff

09-11-2010 Leicester v Wallabies Welford Road, Leicester

13-11-2010 England v Wallabies Twickenham, London

16-11-2010 Munster v Wallabies Thomond Park, Limerick

20-11-2010 Italy v Wallabies Stad Artemio Franchi, Florence

27-11-2010 France v Wallabies Stade de France, Paris

(Thanks to Nusadan, you'll have to find out what time they're being played)

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
DPK, not sure how you got the above info (thanks though) above, but the times here for NSW is Australian Eastern Standard (GMT +10), it doesn't reflect the daylight saving (GMT +11) on at that time, so add a hour to the telecast time then...same for Europe matches? Also, it's other way around when it comes to am or pm...apart from the midweek games...

Pedantic, aren't I :)

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I am curious as to the cattle we will be taking over there. As a Reds supporter, I would like to see Chambers, and Davies go. I also think Douglas and Mowen should go. There are some players I don't want to see go for various reasons. Giteau and Rocky could do with a rest and players like Palu and Horwill should be rested until pre season training starts for the Super 15. They have missed so much first class rugby and it is not worth the risk of bringing them straight back into test rugby.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Palu and Horwill should be rested until pre season training starts for the Super 15. They have missed so much first class rugby and it is not worth the risk of bringing them straight back into test rugby.

Agreed, No need to rush them back or TPN either. We've developed plenty of youth during the Tri-nations lets give them more experience in NH & start fresh in 2011.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Some of our guys should be given a rest, I agree. Rocky won't, only because he's captain.

Be prepared to listen to people whinge that we're the ones sending understrength sides though ::)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Assuming they take a 31 man squad:

Ben Alexander
Ben Robinson
James Slipper
Ben Daly
Salesi Ma'afu
S. Finger
Steven Moore
Mark Chisolm
Dean Mumm
Rob Simmons
Scott Higginbotham
Rocky Elsom
Ben Mcalman
Dave Pocock
Richard Brown
Matt Hodgeson

Luke Brugess
Will Genia
Quade Cooper
Berrick Barnes
JOC (James O'Connor)
A Finger
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Lachie Turner
Drew Mitchell
Kurtley Beale
Peter Hynes

Maybes:

Another Hooker?
Peter Kimlin

Richard Kingi
Matt Tommoua
Rodney Davies
Christian Lealiifano
Pat McCabe
Nick Cummins

Injured:

Tatafu Polata-Nau
Will Chambers
Wycliff Palu
Digby Ioane
James Horwill
Rob Horne
Cameron Shepard
Dan Vickerman

Left at home for recovery/soul searching:

Matt Giteau
Nathan Sharpe

Who does everyone else think deserves a spot on the spring tour?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm assuming a 32 man squad, for no apparent reason:

Fullbacks: Kurtley Beale & Peter Hynes
Wings: Lachlan Turner, Drew Mitchell, James O'Connor & Pat McCabe
Outside Centre: Adam Ashley-Cooper & Mitchell Inman
Inside Centre: Matt Giteau & Berrick Barnes
Flyhalf: Quade Cooper & Matt To'omua
Scrumhalf: Will Genia, Luke Burgess
No 8: Ben McCalman & Leroy Houston
Open Side: David Pocock & Matt Hodgson
Blind Side: Rocky Elsom & Scott Higginbotham
Lock: Nathan Sharpe, Dean Mumm, Rob Simmons & Kane Douglas
THP: Salesi Ma'afu, Ben Alexander, James Slipper
LHP: Benn Robinson & Greg Holmes
Hooker: Saia Fainga'a, Stephen Moore & Damian Fitzpatrick

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If I was choosing, I wouldn't take the Fainga'a twins, Daley or Mumm. Both Fainga'a's are underdone and could use another pre-season at the Reds, Daley's a lightweight IMO and Mumm too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
S Fainga'a was my last man picked. I wanted 3 hookers, but couldn't contemplate a third. Don't believe Edmonds is a test hooker and there's no one left.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
S Fainga'a was my last man picked. I wanted 3 hookers, but couldn't contemplate a third. Don't believe Edmonds is a test hooker and there's no one left.

Possibly Charles. But I dont think he is ready for internationals.
Who else is there? Whittaker, Hardman (he's retired though isnt he?), Freier, and thats about it.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I like Charles and Whitaker, but wouldn't want to take both Fitzpatrick and one of those. At least Fainga'a has played some test footy.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Charles would be a decent pick, but then I think he would cover the midweek games, leaving Fitzy to be the bench hooker for the Tests, something I don't believe he's ready for.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I see no benefit in bringing Mark Chisholm with us. He isnt performing and he isn't the future. Bring Douglas or Kimlin or even Hocking instead.
He will probably still end up going though.

He is a proper test size lock, whereas Mumm is a good impact player but not a international standard lock. Chis adds something to the scrum and lineout, as well as a bit of experience. Add to that the fact that the RWC is next year and so he has to really step up if he wants a spot in the sqaud.

But I would be taking a couple of young blokes as you say and leaving Sharpie here to have a bit of rest.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
So, any of you poofs daring to rock up to TP to see us welcome back Daddy Seamus to the new stadium?

And anyone who can who doesn't go to Florence for the first international there is off their game.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
They took 35 players on last year's Spring Tour and had 7 games (incl 2 club games).

Wouldn't they take the same number of players this time (same number of games and format this time)?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
They took 35 players on last years Spring Tour and had 7 games (incl 2 club games). Wouldn't they take the same number of players this time (same number of games and format)?

I was unsure about how many players they took so I googled wallabies spring tour and they took 31 in 06 so I just went on that.

C

chief

They took 35 players on last year's Spring Tour and had 7 games (incl 2 club games).

Wouldn't they take the same number of players this time (same number of games and format this time)?

I reckon to save some $$$ they might take 32 or even 30. Last time they made a big deal about it being a Grand Slam and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.