• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2010 Wallabies Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
This is my first thread so be kind

As usual 2009 was a rollercoaster year for the Wallabies. Plenty to be pleased with, and plenty worth tearing your hair out over. Sometimes expectations rose high, mostly they didn't come to fruition. Under Robbie we've seen big improvements in critical areas of our game but the team as a whole, is only half way there.

Now, lets set some season long goals. With the critical date of September 2011 in mind, what are your expectations for the 2010 season? What are the critical achievements you want to see by the end of 2010? What will it take for Deans to get your pass mark this year and for you to feel good about the Wallabies chances going into 2011?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Surely you need an avatar to be starting threads! Good one though.

As I said on the front page, for me our goal should be to win all home 3Ns -that’s the Boks in Brissy, the ABs in Sydney and Melbourne; all doable, but not easy. This would probably put us second in the table, and with a sniff of the title.

My stretch target would be an away win to go with those, they look tough though – Bloemfontein, Pretoria (both 1km+ altitude) and Christchurch, which along with a few BPs would be a shot at the title.

The lineout has to get sorted, we lost 1 in 4 throws on our own ball and only contested 40% of oppo throws.

I'd also like to see a bit of stability out back, with a magical solution to 15

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Good calls both guys; you can't argue with much of that.

But if there's one thing I want from our team is consistency - both from game to game and from period to period within a game (and in particular finishing stronger than opponents in the last quarter.

C

chief

Lee Grant said:
Good calls both guys; you can't argue with much of that.

But if there's one thing I want from our team is consistency - both from game to game and from period to period within a game (and in particular finishing stronger than opponents in the last quarter.

We could have won the Tri-Nations this year if we could maintain the lead which we had at half time. As Lee pointed out that should be our number 1 goal. because that is pretty concerning.

gone

Ted Fahey (11)
Start winning the close ones. As Lee said too many good starts not converted.

With a similar team, hopefully some new blood in the 2nd row and a fit Barnes to control the backline, this team will be a year more experienced and a year wiser. A few more wins should be expected.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
to start solidifying some working combos across the park before 2011. front row, loosies and genia seem to be heading there. locks are in disarray, as are most of the backline positions. might have an idea of who the core players are, but where they're each playing needs to get sorted. more stability should lead to an improvement in overall play as the players learn to function together more.

this is, of course, all dependent on less rotation in the lineup with players staying healthy and retaining at least some kind of form to warrant selection. so add those two things to the list as well.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
  • I would say at least 1 win away in both NZ and SA for 3N's.
  • Get some proper depth in key positions in case, God forbid, one of them is badly injured with a long term injury.
  • Some players need to walk the walk instead of talk the talk...I'm sure they know who they are though.
  • Enough 'rebuilding' years - We've got some good combination's working now, so each player should be sure that the guy next to them can do their job properly, without having to cover for them.
  • And ditto Thatguy- close out the close matches and stop snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Don't ask for payments on trial matches.....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Win a few more close ones and be in a position to win every game we play, home or away.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Win Bledisloe cup. I don't mind if we then lose it again in 2011 as the AB's will let it go to there heads.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i'd like to win the inbound tour matches then have everyone get carried away only to lose the next two or three important matches before winning a dead rubber and again having everyone talk about turning the corner only to get thrashed in the next game - im keeping my goals realistic.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
1. Further scrum improvement leading to dominance against all nations.
2. A 85% + lineout conversion on our throw and 25% on oppo throws.
3. Competing strongly at the breakdown for 80 minutes of every game, not just 40mins here and there.
4. More combinations and attacking nous from the backs and forwards combined.
5. A solution to our fullback dilemma.
6. Defense letting in an average of 1.5 tries or less per game.
7. Giving away less penalties than our opponents.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Gagger said:
As I said on the front page, for me our goal should be to win all home 3Ns -that’s the Boks in Brissy, the ABs in Sydney and Melbourne; all doable, but not easy. This would probably put us second in the table, and with a sniff of the title.

Am I correct in understanding that this would see us regain the bledisloe or is there a 4th game somewhere?

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
My resident pedant implores me to point out that the title of the thread includes the word "expectations", while many of its posts are "hopes" (see Blue's post :)).

MY EXPECTATIONS

1. Continuing overall improvement in all aspects of play.
2. The rewards of Robbie D's consistency in selection and rejection of rotation to be reaped with individual and combination play to develop strongly.
3. Easy wins against the Eurotrash in June.
4. 50/50 results in the Tri-Nations.
5. 75/25 results in the Spring tour.
6. The usual suspects to incur season-ending injuries.

MY HOPES

1. Two test-class locks to appear from somewhere.
2. A test-standard outside centre is still standing at the end of November.
3. A test-standard fullback emerges.
4. Dan Vickerman flunks in June exams and returns to Australia.
5. Dan Vickerman's shoulders and attached soft tissues are regenerated.
6. Cameron Shepherd is still standing at the end of November.

C

chief

mark_s said:
Gagger said:

Am I correct in understanding that this would see us regain the bledisloe or is there a 4th game somewhere?

O'Neill said last week, that they are seriously thinking about taking the Bledisloe to Asia again this year. So should be 4 matches.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Scotty said:
1. Further scrum improvement leading to dominance against all nations.
2. A 85% + lineout conversion on our throw and 25% on oppo throws.
3. Competing strongly at the breakdown for 80 minutes of every game, not just 40mins here and there.
4. More combinations and attacking nous from the backs and forwards combined.
5. A solution to our fullback dilemma.
6. Defense letting in an average of 1.5 tries or less per game.
7. Giving away less penalties than our opponents.
All that would be great, though I'd settle for scoring more points than our opposition

S

Spook

My hopes (reality-based nay)

1. Pocock to dislodge 7 Black from his throne
2. Both Kimlin and Sickboy to become test class.
3. TPNs throwing to be super accurate
4. Palu to stay injury free and be the best 8 in the world
5. A genuine backup to Genia to emerge
6. Oz produces some super pacey winger in the mould of Sivivatu
7. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to own 13
8. A third 110kg+ reliable hooker to emerge.
9. More test-class number 8s and 6s to emerge.

Running Rugby

Sydney Middleton (9)
I think the Wallabies will be looking for a lot of positive results and a higher winning percentage than this year.
Performance wise a couple of priorities should be:
1. Find the right combination in the centres and back three (This may require finding alternative fullbacks and outside centres.)
2. Genia not to suffer from 2nd year syndrome.
3. Find an aggressive locking option.
4. Continued improvement at the scrum.
5. Improvement in the lineout- (this requires more detailed analysis than appropriate here)
6. Improved confidence in the attacking systems they have in place.
7. Fixing the odd defensive lapse they had this year where mis-communication and/or not understanding the defensive pattern let in a try rather than a missed tackle.

C

chief

I've just spent the last 20 minutes looking at Australia highlights during the Tri-Nations. I am completely gutted after all those tight losses. I've realised this, Australia played better than their opponents 75 percent of the matches. Unfortunately they were a 50 minute team, and they couldn't capitalise. Australia during the Tri-Nations were 40 minutes off being ranked Number 1 in the IRB rankings. I know for a lot of you people you don't believe it can happen. I believe it can, and it is an expectation for me going into next year, that we finish where we left off, and actually take the Number 1 ranking, I don't really care how long we hold it for. I just want it to happen for even a bloody week.

I think Australia for next years WC really needs to get mental strength of beating the Kiwis in NZ. I think Deans needs to hold AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in one position preferably 15. And cut this experimentation bullshit, as we really need to develop as a team with the set combinations.

One could now argue we have the best back row in the world. Rocky Elsom being the form #6 in world rugby. Wycliff Palu establishing himself to the rest of the world as a very strong hitter and runner, and we have Smith and Pocock 2 of the 4 best opensides in the world. Australia needs to use these combinations.

They are my expectations, and are my dreams for the Wallabies leading up to RWC 2011. Honestly I think we can win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.