• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 S15 Semi Stormers vs Saders @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Having seen highlights from his form in England, I think he's too light to play hooker in the Super 15 anyway. Plays like a short, bulky centre.

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
i would imagine that if he's able to handle northern hemisphere scrums he'd do alright in super rugby. he did well a few years ago although i vaguely remember the bok scrum having problems against the wallabies in perth a fair few years back with britz at hooker and he hasn't been seen in a bok scrum since.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
This game is tighter than a camel's arse in a sand storm. I basically flipped a coin when tipping this week and went with the Cru, just.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
I'm unsure who to go for in this one. On one hand the Crusaders play brilliant entertaining rugby, on the other the stormers have never won a title and neither have the Reds, and we all want a competitive comp over a long run.

On my third hand we have that the Crusaders should make a very entertaining final, something this country really needs.

Go Saders!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
i would imagine that if he's able to handle northern hemisphere scrums he'd do alright in super rugby. he did well a few years ago although i vaguely remember the bok scrum having problems against the wallabies in perth a fair few years back with britz at hooker and he hasn't been seen in a bok scrum since.

I was really only referring to his running game. I didn't see much of his set piece play, mostly his stuff in the loose, so I can't comment.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I was really only referring to his running game. I didn't see much of his set piece play, mostly his stuff in the loose, so I can't comment.

Having watched probably at least 6 or 7 games this year I see absolutely zero problems with his setpiece.

His size does not hamper him one bit. If you want to see some evidence of it, the Saracens scrum got the upperhand in the final against Leicester.

His ability to turn over ball is as good as most opensides as well.

When he left SA I though good riddance. He is a fairy.

He has worked hard and fixed the tight aspects of his game.

The guy is a total freak and he is bigger than the guy who started for the Stormers all season.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Having seen highlights from his form in England, I think he's too light to play hooker in the Super 15 anyway. Plays like a short, bulky centre.

Since when is 100kg too light for Super Rugby?

If anythjing, NH rugby likes bigger hookers than we do these days.

Seriously people are looking for reasons to bag him. The mud island players, media and fans seem to think he pisses fairy water.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Anyhoo. Brits or no Brits I pick a Crusaders win. It's just look like they are getting to that untouchable level again.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
He has moved to the back row in games for Saracens. No idea how often though. Bit of a gamble but hew is unlikely to get more than 10 unless the Stormers go down by loads.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Since when is 100kg too light for Super Rugby?

If anythjing, NH rugby likes bigger hookers than we do these days.

I meant he plays too light. Weight doesn't preclude players to a particular style of play.

Having watched probably at least 6 or 7 games this year I see absolutely zero problems with his setpiece.

His size does not hamper him one bit. If you want to see some evidence of it, the Saracens scrum got the upperhand in the final against Leicester.

His ability to turn over ball is as good as most opensides as well.

When he left SA I though good riddance. He is a fairy.

He has worked hard and fixed the tight aspects of his game.

The guy is a total freak and he is bigger than the guy who started for the Stormers all season.

All this in response to me saying I wasn't commenting on the set piece? :)

REDinCPT

Sydney Middleton (9)
is it just me or does this guy look like the fonz?

isbritsthefonz.JPG

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Quite incredible to think the Crusaders 22 are missing just one player due to injury; Israel Dagg. A handy replacement in Tom Marshall as well but how have they been so lucky with injuries... everyone else seems to be missing 3-5 top players. You'd think they'd have the most injuries due to their playing style as well. Full credit to their S&C team.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Quite incredible to think the Crusaders 22 are missing just one player due to injury; Israel Dagg. A handy replacement in Tom Marshall as well but how have they been so lucky with injuries... everyone else seems to be missing 3-5 top players. You'd think they'd have the most injuries due to their playing style as well. Full credit to their S&C team.

It's been up and down throughout the season though with some of our "stars". We've had Carter and McCaw out in stages due to injury. Sam Whitelock injured. Brad Thorn was out for a few weeks. Maitland and Dagg after both were in very good form. Ellis who was having his best season then got injured. SBW has been crook.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I meant he plays too light. Weight doesn't preclude players to a particular style of play.

All this in response to me saying I wasn't commenting on the set piece? :)

No, you said you could not comment on his set piece. I felt I was able to having seen numerous games.

What does "playing light" mean?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's been up and down throughout the season though with some of our "stars". We've had Carter and McCaw out in stages due to injury. Sam Whitelock injured. Brad Thorn was out for a few weeks. Maitland and Dagg after both were in very good form. Ellis who was having his best season then got injured. SBW has been crook.

They're all fit at the right time.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What does "playing light" mean?

Rather than taking tackles and driving forward, staying close to the ruck and using strength dependent tactics when running the ball, playing light refers to players opting to run around players, link with others by drawing (but not taking) tackles and "seagulling" in the backline.

No, you said you could not comment on his set piece. I felt I was able to having seen numerous games.

I apologise.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The lead up to this game kind of has the same feel to it as the Bulls/Saders game last year which the Saders lost. On paper the Saders can handle the Stormers but like quite a few people I'm worried about the travel effect on the Saders even though we travel well.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
They're all fit at the right time.

Which is great, and well done to the rehab team. But I don't underestimate the amount of luck (or lack of) when it comes to injuries.

As far as this game I'm really hoping our 10-12-13 can really put pressure on the fringe defense of the Stormers

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
Don't see what the issue is, teams have drafted in players into squads when there is no cover in specific positions.

So if a shit player was drafted in this would not have been even mentioned?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Don't see what the issue is, teams have drafted in players into squads when there is no cover in specific positions.

So if a shit player was drafted in this would not have been even mentioned?

Kezakkerly.

I think the Crusaders are going to win anyway. As much as it pains me. They're too fookin good.

Status
Not open for further replies.