• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 6 Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spooony

Worried? You must be dreaming. England half back still waiting on their slow ball. Luckily the game has a time limit otherwise he would still be standing there waiting for it.

He coughed it up 3 times when he got blitzed and the welsh had a tackle success rate of 88 percent. They going to need to improve that drastically to beat France as the french feeds of turn over ball and love to counter attack. Also there was a period the welsh went through 17 phases! They did not have the penetration and in the end a piece of individual play won the game.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Worried? You must be dreaming. England half back still waiting on their slow ball. Luckily the game has a time limit otherwise he would still be standing there waiting for it.

He coughed it up 3 times when he got blitzed and the welsh had a tackle success rate of 88 percent. They going to need to improve that drastically to beat France as the french feeds of turn over ball and love to counter attack. Also there was a period the welsh went through 17 phases! They did not have the penetration and in the end a piece of individual play won the game.
Wales have been made to look good by, in successive games, Ireland playing their worst competitive game in the four years Kidney has been in charge ; Scotland, who up until France looked as though they couldn't score in a brothel, and an England team who should have lost to Italy. There are some cracking players in the Welsh side, Roberts and North are genuinely world class. Wales are a long way from the finished article and I have a feeling you will be relying on the French not turning up on Paddy's day in Cardiff. On players going to France, the T14 is the toughest league in the world and while that will stand to them, the attrition rate is brutal.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Wales v France is going to be a cracker of a game. But first up is France v Ireland tomorrow and it can't come quick enough. After the performance against Italy I have real hope for Ireland tomorrow, but at the same time my head is saying it will be the same old Ireland one really good performance followed by being under par.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Wales have been made to look good by, in successive games, Ireland playing their worst competitive game in the four years Kidney has been in charge ; Scotland, who up until France looked as though they couldn't score in a brothel, and an England team who should have lost to Italy. There are some cracking players in the Welsh side, Roberts and North are genuinely world class. Wales are a long way from the finished article and I have a feeling you will be relying on the French not turning up on Paddy's day in Cardiff. On players going to France, the T14 is the toughest league in the world and while that will stand to them, the attrition rate is brutal.

Ahh you don't say, well I was always told you only play as good as the oppositon let you, this can be easily seen in the Wales England match, we were'nt allowed to play to our strengths, much like what Wales have done to every one else.:)

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)

Yep, they counter quicker than anyone especially as you say turn over or loose ball, we have a pretty good defence, I've also said France have some tough games before they meet us, Ireland tomorrow then England , then us, it will be more about the french resolve than anything else methinks. Besides England owe them one.

S

spooony

Yep, they counter quicker than anyone especially as you say turn over or loose ball, we have a pretty good defence, I've also said France have some tough games before they meet us, Ireland tomorrow then England , then us, it will be more about the french resolve than anything else methinks. Besides England owe them one.
Trust me no one is happier than us here in SA when England lose. What I tried to say earlier is that England showed a method to the world where one of main weapons of the Welsh turned over the ball 3 times and and kick some aimless kicks. You can remember I said it would be interesting to see how he would react because the sharks will come for him that will be the french in other words and it is going to be interesting how he will react because the french also like the rush defence. It was visible in that last 20 minutes against Scotland.

England ball was so slow the welsh could have had a cup of tea and a sandwich and then fanned out and the ball would still not have been released yet. Games get decide on a player slipping a tackle, a piece of individual brilliance these days or by employing counter attack tactics like NZ and the french are doing. But NZ do it a bit different as they love to force you into punting and then run in down your throat because after a quick phase or 2 the defence can not fan out as they were scattered when the kick was made. They also make sure they attack the game line every time and not drift across the field. The welsh use to do that but Priestland changed that. They start to attack the game line more. Now you see why NZ have such depth in quality flyhalfs as it is their Pivot position. Australia were blessed with Gregan and Larkham not so long ago. Aussies like to use the half back as their pivot normally. Larkham first stood back a bit when they rushed up on him but then he reacted and showed his class by making quick decisions to run, pass or quick. Those trade mark runs of him going through a hole. Priestland is now in that same position.

Also he must know that they are going to hit him with big tackles to see if he goes a bit deeper after that. So he must not lose his cool over it and get binned every time. It happened to Wilkinson then the refs started to protect him by sending off players because he was a bulls eye. Stop him and you disrupt England. The defence part it is really his protection that is failing there. You get a flyhalf that can tackle and you get one who can't. He tries to by holding on till someone else brings him down and so on. Now the welsh use the tactic of tackling the guy to ground then try and get the ball where the Irish use the opposite of try and hold the guy up and then rip the ball away. So it is really his flanker that must protect him and his channel. That is one of the reasons why they are on the field. You will see in all the international sides down the years the good flyhalfs always had a world class flanker looking after him. Naas Botha was the worlds worst defender but he did not have to make a tackle as Burger Geldenhuys was there. Welsh are blessed with them luckily.

Tomorrows game is going to be a cracker and I hope Ireland plays like they did in that second half against Italy. Also the midfield battle between Earls and Rougerie. That is going to be a interesting battle as Rougerie is not a small guy.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
This team of super humans everyone is describing is France? the same team we stuffed but contrived to lose to with 14 players in RWC

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Trust me no one is happier than us here in SA when England lose. What I tried to say earlier is that England showed a method to the world where one of main weapons of the Welsh turned over the ball 3 times and and kick some aimless kicks. You can remember I said it would be interesting to see how he would react because the sharks will come for him that will be the french in other words and it is going to be interesting how he will react because the french also like the rush defence. It was visible in that last 20 minutes against Scotland.

England ball was so slow the welsh could have had a cup of tea and a sandwich and then fanned out and the ball would still not have been released yet. Games get decide on a player slipping a tackle, a piece of individual brilliance these days or by employing counter attack tactics like NZ and the french are doing. But NZ do it a bit different as they love to force you into punting and then run in down your throat because after a quick phase or 2 the defence can not fan out as they were scattered when the kick was made. They also make sure they attack the game line every time and not drift across the field. The welsh use to do that but Priestland changed that. They start to attack the game line more. Now you see why NZ have such depth in quality flyhalfs as it is their Pivot position. Australia were blessed with Gregan and Larkham not so long ago. Aussies like to use the half back as their pivot normally. Larkham first stood back a bit when they rushed up on him but then he reacted and showed his class by making quick decisions to run, pass or quick. Those trade mark runs of him going through a hole. Priestland is now in that same position.

Also he must know that they are going to hit him with big tackles to see if he goes a bit deeper after that. So he must not lose his cool over it and get binned every time. It happened to Wilkinson then the refs started to protect him by sending off players because he was a bulls eye. Stop him and you disrupt England. The defence part it is really his protection that is failing there. You get a flyhalf that can tackle and you get one who can't. He tries to by holding on till someone else brings him down and so on. Now the welsh use the tactic of tackling the guy to ground then try and get the ball where the Irish use the opposite of try and hold the guy up and then rip the ball away. So it is really his flanker that must protect him and his channel. That is one of the reasons why they are on the field. You will see in all the international sides down the years the good flyhalfs always had a world class flanker looking after him. Naas Botha was the worlds worst defender but he did not have to make a tackle as Burger Geldenhuys was there. Welsh are blessed with them luckily.

Tomorrows game is going to be a cracker and I hope Ireland plays like they did in that second half against Italy. Also the midfield battle between Earls and Rougerie. That is going to be a interesting battle as Rougerie is not a small guy.

Hmmm, Before Priestland played at 10 for Wales he was playing most of his rugby at 15 for The Scarlets as Steven Jones was the regular 10, For both Wales and the Scarlets. He has played at 10 since the WC, I personally think he needed a bad game as I've already said in an earlier post it was not so much the Blitz but his decision making and his execution,
He will be better prepared against the French, Dusitoir will give him a terrible time if he can, Otrago (SP) should be in the French back row he too is very quick.
I will also say that Priestland started coming back into the game in the last 10-15 min it was his pass that sent williams away for his first foray into the English 22. He needs to start well, if he does then I think no matter what the french throw at him he will stand.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
France 6 Ireland 17 at half time. 2 tries from Bowe. The First a direct result of Ireland tactic to rush up in defence leading to an intercept try. The 2nd getting the ball out wide early Earls putting Bowe in space on the flank and a beautiful chip and gather over Poitrenaud.

France have the edge in the scrum and look threatening with ball in hand. Ireland may feel lucky not to have gotten a yellow in the 1st half.

Huge intensity and physicality from Ireland in from the start and targeting France's big men has paid dividends. Plus the use of the choke tackle has created a lot of turn over ball.

There's a long way to go but I dare to dream. Come on Ireland!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit of deja vu here as a Wallabies fan, Ireland employing the same tactics they mainly used against us. Been a great game so far.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Have to say this now as my opinion of Ireland performance may be coloured if we lose. How good has Rob Kearney been today? Immense.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Very good, as has Bowe obviously. Have to say, surely you guys got someone better than Gordon D'Arcy?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I was calling for D'Arcy to go before the 6Ns squad was annouced. Would have like to have seen an Earls McaFadden midfield but Deccie went with D'Arcy for continuity with BOD out.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A draw 17-17 but it feel like a defeat after that effort. Still plenty of improvements to make for Ireland and not much new talent brought through. Still an excellent game and very exciting.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
It was always going to come down to the Cardiff game so not much has changed.
Of course, but no longer in the sense. France have still got to play the orcs next weekend. Ireland can't come better than 3rd. English cheer squad will already be trumpeting the possibility of England winning the 6N. Provided we beat Italy by a decent score, Wales vs France is an entirely diferent game now.

Status
Not open for further replies.