• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
SA will host it this year.

SARugby
SuperSport Appointed IRB Junior World Championship 2012 Host Broadcaster
• All 30 Matches covered for the first time
• Record broadcast coverage expected
• Tournament planning and preparation on track

The International Rugby Board and South African Rugby Union (SARU) have announced the appointment of SuperSport as Host Broadcaster of the IRB Junior World Championship 2012, which kicks off in South Africa on June 4.
The leading Rugby broadcaster will deliver a record 30 matches live for global broadcasters, over double the number produced last year, underscoring the IRB's commitment to furthering the global profile of one of Rugby's premier annual international Age Grade events.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “We are delighted to be working with SuperSport to deliver record coverage of the IRB Junior World Championship, which has become a hugely anticipated and exciting fixture on the global Rugby calendar. SuperSport are recognised as market leaders in Rugby and sports production in South Africa and their unprecedented commitment to the JWC will ensure unparalleled coverage of an event which continues to grow in both stature and appeal.”
Last year’s edition in Italy smashed previous record broadcast and online coverage for an Age Grade Rugby tournament, and was screened live by 19 broadcasters to 142 countries with a global potential reach of more than 174 million homes. The cumulative total of live coverage for the three-week tournament was projected to be 280 hours in 18 languages.
The 12-team tournament brings together the future stars of world Rugby, with more than 110 players making their senior Test debut in the past four years after appearing in the showcase event. With three back to back matches per venue on each of the five match days, intense and competitive action and a host of talented players on show, the JWC is now a proven hit for both broadcasters and fans as well as the participating unions.
With just under 100 days to go until the tournament kicks off, preparations are gathering pace and Tournament Organisers are confident that the event will take the IRB Junior World Championship to new heights.
“I am confident that preparations are on track to deliver an outstanding IRB Junior World Championship in South Africa. The IRB and SARU share a vision of a tournament that will capture the imagination of the players, fans and the global Rugby family while leaving a lasting legacy of participation and interest,” said SARU President and IRB Vice Chairman Oregan Hoskins.
“We are proud to be hosting what is one of the world's leading Rugby events. The appointment of SuperSport as Host Broadcaster reflects our commitment to delivering a world-class tournament for players, spectators and a global television audience.”
“Rugby fans in South Africa are knowledgeable and passionate, and we can promise a memorable experience for everyone attending the tournament, and we are sure SuperSport will capture the unique and thrilling atmosphere that the event will generate.”
Looking to follow in the footsteps of Patrick Lambie, Sam Warburton, Will Genia, Leigh Halfpenny and RWC 2011 winner Aaron Cruden as players who have graduated from the IRB Junior World Championship to win full Test caps, the next generation of world Rugby stars can expect exceptional facilities and a welcoming festival atmosphere in South Africa.

S

spooony

Someone should tell that guy who wrote that article that we get it that Supersport is the broadcaster and he don't need to start every sentence reminding us about it.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
And who was the mental giant who came up with the idea of labelling it the "IRB Junior World Championship"? That's a rhetorical question; it has all the hallmarks of a decision arrived at by a committee of dimwits and seat cushions.

Fuck me, they're men who are 20-years-old not 17-year-old kids. How to minimise your viewing audience.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
May as well just have renamed it the IRB Kiddies World Championship. Also why is it Championship instead of Cup, it's like they're afraid people will associate it too much with the RWC and therefore actually watch it.

S

spooony

I think they should decentralize rugby. Sponsors should only be sponsors and not calling the shots

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And who was the mental giant who came up with the idea of labelling it the "IRB Junior World Championship"? That's a rhetorical question; it has all the hallmarks of a decision arrived at by a committee of dimwits and seat cushions.

Fuck me, they're men who are 20-years-old not 17-year-old kids. How to minimise your viewing audience.
I've cant remember seeing you swear before

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I've cant remember seeing you swear before

I'm from Wollongong, IS. It was the normal way of showing emphasis, and my view on substituting the diminutive "Junior" for "Under 20" deserved emphasising.

Over 20 years ago when I switched from coaching rugby in Wollongong to coaching private school university students I noted some slight cultural differences but observed that even among the more refined the language of profanity gets attention and is easily understood.

I don't mean to suggest that this was something novel at Sydney Uni Rugby. Brock was renowned for turning the air blue and he greatly influenced some of his successors such as Brian Burnett.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Maybe the mental giant is just a Junior!
U20's. How far under 20 are they refering to by calling it Junior? Gotta agree with you there - thats gotta be insulting.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Starts Monday in ACT I heard at game last night.

Correct. Here's the list of players attending...

Allan Ala'alatoa NSW
Mark Baldwin NSW
Luke Beauchamp QLD
Curtis Browning QLD
Mitchell Carpenter QLD
Cameron Clark NSW
Sean Cox QLD
Steven Cummins NSW
Thomas Cusack ACT
Timothy Donlan NSW
Tim Duchesne NSW
Stuart Dunbar NSW
Allan Faalavaau VIC
Zac Frank QLD
Michael Freeman NSW
Jed Gillespie NSW
Terrence Hepetema NSW
Malietoa Hingano NSW
Lewis Holland ACT
Jed Holloway NSW
Oliver Hoskins WA
Christopher Ingate NSW
Boyd Killingworth NSW
Silatolu Latu NSW
Apolosi Latunipulu NSW
Matthew Lucas QLD
Leslie Makin ACT
Sean McMahon QLD
William Miller NSW
Isaiah Mosese VIC
Maile Ngauamo QLD
Alexander Northam NSW
Pettowa Paraka QLD
Hugh Roach ACT
Peter Schuster NSW
Michael Stolberg QLD
Keliti Vaingalo NSW
William Weeks NSW
Michael Wells NSW
Matthew White NSW

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Noticed that the representation from NSW outweighs all the rest. Is this where they are from or the Academies they represent?
Also noticed a few boys from QLD National academy not mentioned. Injuries are every footballers nighmare.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm from Wollongong, IS. It was the normal way of showing emphasis, and my view on substituting the diminutive "Junior" for "Under 20" deserved emphasising.

Over 20 years ago when I switched from coaching rugby in Wollongong to coaching private school university students I noted some slight cultural differences but observed that even among the more refined the language of profanity gets attention and is easily understood.

I don't mean to suggest that this was something novel at Sydney Uni Rugby. Brock was renowned for turning the air blue and he greatly influenced some of his successors such as Brian Burnett.

It wasnt a criticism - you're restraint on other threads (Tom Carter at the moment) is admirable

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Shouldn't Blake Sutton & Tony Melrose be in this list?

I don't think Tony Melrose qualifies on age does he. Ben Melrose might but definitely not Tony.

Does anyone else question why the ARU is having a 4 day camp held during the week. Don't these guys have uni courses/jobs/apprenticeships to consider. Those players that were at school last year it is a big ask for them to take this time off when everything is just starting in their lives away from football. I know it may be difficult to prepare them otherwise but still it is very demanding on the players lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.