• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 IRB Junior World Championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

churchills cigar

Peter Burge (5)
I don't there's anything maniacal about picking a player because he defends well, there are less good defenders in this world than good attacked in my opinion.

Obviously your selection should be a judgement of both skill sets but picking on defence makes sense.
I have never had a problem with a good defence, unfortunately we are seeing too much in Australian rugby, and in any war you will never win by holding up in an impenetrable bunker, the opponent (or referee) will find a flaw so occasionally you must mount a raid into opposition territory, and team that relies on defence will only have short term success if any, true champion teams have a well defined balance BUT attack is always the first option, not defence.
Just look at the All Blacks, Baby Blacks and the NZ sevens side, all based on raiding the opposition first.
Unfortunately, we are wholesaley sacrificing our attacking oriented players on a full time basis.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
Thank you Churchillds cigar for your input. What you have said about the defence has certainly made the light bulbs switch on.
Most certainly agree with you on Balance being vital.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
For those with Foxtel, the Australia v. Scotland match will be shown on Monday night at 10:45 AEST.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SuperSport are streaming every match live and free. Considering our match is 24 hours away, has the team been announced yet?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
SuperSport are streaming every match live and free.

Are you sure it's free for international viewers? From here: http://www.supersport.com/live-video

All you need in order to watch the video stream is:
  • To be a DStv Premium subscriber in South Africa or the rest of Africa
  • To have your smart-card number (from the card in your decoder) in order to register
  • Be physically at a computer in sub-Saharan Africa (you cannot watch from an international destination)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I saw that too but I'm hoping that just there for the regular programming and for the u20s it's different as per the IRB's site:

As Host Broadcaster of the IRB Junior World Championship 2012, SuperSport will be offering live online streaming of all 30 matches from the tournament, as well as highlights from each match.

Check out match kick off times at www.irb.com/jwc/fixturesresults/index.html (times are South African) and then go to www.supersport.com/live-video to see your match live.

This video content will be freely available worldwide, apart from in France, Ireland and the UK where the action is exclusively shown by broadcasters. You can see where JWC is available around the world here: www.irb.com/jwc/tv/index.html

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I've seen the IRB on twitter telling people in the UK the games wont be streamed to them. That's what got me thinking all this stuff about live "streaming" is just plugging supersport. https://twitter.com/#!/irbjuniors

Should be easy enough to circumvent though, just use a South African IP maybe. (also, you need to sign up to supersport before you use it)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
We shouldn't get too analytical about the teams in the early games but it's encouraging to see that CFS is getting a run at 13. That backline needs a bit of sizzle and the more times that he can get his hands on the ball the better. This is more likely to happen in the centres.

I note that backrower McMahon and fullback Holland have not been named; nor did they play in the trial, yet 2. Roach, 5 Cummins, 6. Browning, 7/8 Melrose 10 Godwin and 12 Apo are getting starts for the 2nd time. I'm guessing that McMahon and Holland are injured.

I'm also guessing that, counting the trial last week, all the players will have had two games by the time they finish the 2nd pool game, and start in at least one.

This will give them a chance to pick their best team against France in the 3rd pool game - and let's not forget that France won that one last year.

Let's not whinge too much this year if we don't do well, and strut at the keyboard in anguish and moan about selections. We have heard all the points already. As mentioned earlier in the thread: this is a very young team with 14 of the 28 eligible to play in the tournament next year. That extra year missing from half the players will probably be significant against the best teams in the tournament.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Will be interested to see how 1. Latu goes. He was a gun junior player who played mostly in the back row. Didn't do Schools pathway as he went to a school that did not participate in rugby. Has been playing colts for Uni in Sydney for a couple of years now swapping between prop and hooker. A good ball runner with some very good ball skills.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hadn't heard of him before he was named in the U/20 side. It's good that players like Rob Horne and he went to schools that did not offer rugby yet managed to end up in Oz rep teams via club rugby.

There must be a whole lot more out there too; but let's not go there right now.

Played in the back row did he? He looked pretty mobile when I saw him in the trial game but so did most of the props and hookers on the day. Their scrum was very good too, albeit against Samoa who struggled in that area.

However, as ever, the scrums of the benchmark teams like NZ, England and the RSA will be the real test, though the last pool game against France will be of great interest.

Come to think of it: the 2nd pool game against Argentina should give us a few clues as to how the lads are going at scrum time.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Frisby at fullback is a bit of a gamble, he hasn't played there consistantly since his schoolboy days. Surley they could of trained either UJ or Godwin to play there. Maybe they're just trying to fit both Lucas and Frisby in the same side. Parraka unlucky not to be starting.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wouldn't read too much into Paraka not starting as he started in the trial against Samoa and they all have to have a shot in a run on side. And don't forget that Allan A and he are the two youngest props having scrummed for Oz Schools last year.

As for Frisby at fullback: I think they are looking for a back up for Holland but Godwin, who can play there, will probably be the starting flyhalf in the money games; so they won't compromise with him. Crook can play 15 but they are short of wingers in the squad and will keep him on the wing. UJS was tried at 15 against Samoa but he didn't work out (no sense of positional play). Therefore Frisby at 15.

It's probably why they picked a 3rd scrumhalf, Merriman, in the squad when 13 Hingano didn't tour. Even if Holland isn't injured, and more the case if he is, Frisby will have to be available to play 15. In hindsight, Northam, who played well at 15 off the bench in the trial, could have replaced Hingano; then the Rubik Cube wouldn't have had to be twisted so much.

Don't expect a lot from the wingers tonight. Dargaville played in the backrow at school and 12 for his club this year but doesn't have a winger's top end pace. Allan F is not winger quick either: he is a good stepper who played 13 for Oz Schools last year, and very well too, and was scrumhalf for the Oz 7s team.

Not bad for a Victorian apprentice butcher.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bokkie team vs Ireland:
Junior Springbok team to face Ireland: 15. Dillyn Leyds (DHL Western Province), 14. Paul Jordaan (KZN), 13. Pat Howard (DHL Western Province), 12. Jan Serfontein (Vodacom Blue Bulls), 11. Raymond Rhule (Toyota Free State), 10. Tony Jantjies (Vodacom Blue Bulls), 9. Abrie Griesel (Vodacom Blue Bulls), 8. Fabian Booysen (MTN Golden Lions), 7. Wiaan Liebenberg (Vodacom Blue Bulls, capt), 6. Shaun Adendorff (Vodacom Blue Bulls), 5. Pieter Steph du Toit (KZN), 4. Paul Willemse (MTN Golden Lions), 3. Allan Dell (KZN), 2. Mark Pretorius (MTN Golden Lions) 1. Steven Kitshoff (DHL Western Province)
Replacements: 16. Jason Thomas (Vodacom Blue Bulls), 17. Oliver Kebble (DHL Western Province) , 18. Ruan Botha (MTN Golden Lions), 19. Braam Steyn (KZN), 20. Vian van der Watt (MTN Golden Lions), 21. Handrè Pollard (DHL Western Province), 22. Tshotsho Mbovane (DHL Western Province), 23. Maks van Dyk (KZN)

The Bok team have a really good backline and looking forward to this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.