• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 National Schools Rugby Sevens Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
cant take a comp seriously when the best nsw team in it is st gregs....keebra just hyping it up way more than they should

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
What always makes me laugh is the card carrying members of the flat earth society who poo poo anything that might threaten their precious little status quo. Adapt or perish. Anecdotally, rugby is in decline (at all levels) and we need to find ways to reinvigorate it from the ground up. Engaging with the traditional league powerhouses and exposing these boys to rugby and rugby to these boys appears at first blush to be an appropriate tactic. Trying to turn it into some juvenile pissing competition totally overlooks the WHY!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
im not saying its a thing that the league schools are playing or getting involved, good on them but what makes ME laugh is that keebra always boast and take this piss out of our sport when they win it and i dont think it hurts to give a little perspective and say that if all the good rugby schools rocked up they would have had a much harder time winning the thing.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
im not saying its a thing that the league schools are playing or getting involved, good on them but what makes ME laugh is that keebra always boast and take this piss out of our sport when they win it and i dont think it hurts to give a little perspective and say that if all the good rugby schools rocked up they would have had a much harder time winning the thing.

I agree. Keebra always make a joke of this when they win - how they don't play it and have prepared very little for it when in actual fact they prepare very well and nclude several players with rugby backgrounds. Someone should remind them of what happened when they played one of the better schools (St Augustines) a couple of years ago, admittedly in a hybrid game, and were well beaten.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
They certainly were and were not that superior in the league component of the game either.

Mind you: many of the Auggies boys that night knew a bit about league.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I agree. Keebra always make a joke of this when they win - how they don't play it and have prepared very little for it when in actual fact they prepare very well and nclude several players with rugby backgrounds. Someone should remind them of what happened when they played one of the better schools (St Augustines) a couple of years ago, admittedly in a hybrid game, and were well beaten.

Got to remeber also that st augustines wouldnt even make the top 5 rugby schools in nsw...maybe not even the top 10 where as keebra would consistently be in the top 2 in qld (with palm beach) and the top 5 or so in the country

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Got to remeber also that st augustines wouldnt even make the top 5 rugby schools in nsw.maybe not even the top 10 where as keebra would consistently be in the top 2 in qld (with palm beach) and the top 5 or so in the country

I nearly choked when I saw this then thought about it a bit. I will concede that the depth and numbers at St Augustines may not match up to other schools rugby histories but I do believe that based on the success of their first XV that St Augustines have been in the top three rugby teams in NSW for the past 3-4 years. They have beaten teams like Joeys, Knox and Waverly. Won three out of the past four Waratah Shields beating Hills Sports High last year.

Bill McLean (32)
Easiest way to sort out this conumdrum is to invite the likes of Keebra and company to the Scots' sevens!

And TBH Keebra do not even send their best players. The respective NRL clubs frown upon this activity if you get my drift.

Bill McLean (32)
They certainly were and were not that superior in the league component of the game either.

Mind you: many of the Auggies boys that night knew a bit about league.

Correct LG! Auggies is flooded with Manly juniors, many of whom are very good dual coders, a fact I have alluded to on numerous occassions in the past!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I nearly choked when I saw this then thought about it a bit. I will concede that the depth and numbers at St Augustines may not match up to other schools rugby histories but I do believe that based on the success of their first XV that St Augustines have been in the top three rugby teams in NSW for the past 3-4 years. They have beaten teams like Joeys, Knox and Waverly. Won three out of the past four Waratah Shields beating Hills Sports High last year.

granted probably didnt give them as much credit as they deserve but i think top 3 for the past 3-4 years is pushing it abit. i finished school in 09 and they were only just becoming competative then

Bill McLean (32)
Gents,

I am somewhat close to the Polynesian community and generally speaking rugby isntheir first love; and league second! Admittedly my view is changing as first and second generation Polynesian-Australians are becoming increasingly exposed and weened of the western Sydney league culture. The same scenario would probably apply to the southern suburbs of Brisbane (in or around Logan and Inala).

League offers what many Polynesian parents believe to be a career path for their little Sione and Viliami (well little as far as they're concerned :)). Personally I think this is an illusory view to have especially when given that only 4% make it to the NRL. Nonetheless most league scouts are able to sell this 'dream of a chance', and participation numbers somewhat confirm this!

Rugby, through the introduction sevens, has what i believe to be the best chance in history to counter the league (and AFL) on onslaught. Accordingly rugby needs to seize upon this opportunity but its success will only be realised if all oars are in the water! If this thread was to be viewed as an indicative sample of the opinion of the greater rugby community I can see yet another opportunity passing by!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
cant take a comp seriously when the best nsw team in it is st gregs..keebra just hyping it up way more than they should

Mate, if ignorance is bliss. Then you're delirious. St Greg's train and prepare for this event. They bring in expertise to assist in developing the squad for this event. Each student that competes in 7s for the school also competes in the ISA 1st competition for the school. Yes, and they also play League for the school. The set up of the respective sporting organisations allows for this. The school has a long and proud athletic tradition which actually spans across many sports. Sevens and its nature actually suits the school to a tee.

The boys train for this event. They deserve to be there as they are better than the 'proper' Rugby schools you'd prefer. They have to compete and beat those school which makes there achievement legitimate.

Perhaps, I've crossed a line here in terms of personal conduct. But I had to defend the achievement of these 'fine young men' (the schools primary objective in their education of there students) as an Old Boy of the school who still has significant ties to the school.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You're ok there WorkingClassRugger. I wouldn't get too upset with the comments above.

Fiji are masters absolute wizards at Rugby 7's. This is not the case for the longer version of the game.

St Gregs (and other schools in the Catholic Ed system) are the sleeping giants of Rugby. If they ever get serious about Rugby (both long and short versions), then GPS and CAS better look out.

St Augies have gone from zero to hero. Others can do it if the desire is there.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
You're ok there WorkingClassRugger. I wouldn't get too upset with the comments above.

Fiji are masters absolute wizards at Rugby 7's. This is not the case for the longer version of the game.

St Gregs (and other schools in the Catholic Ed system) are the sleeping giants of Rugby. If they ever get serious about Rugby (both long and short versions), then GPS and CAS better look out.

St Augies have gone from zero to hero. Others can do it if the desire is there.

It was more the insular perspective of the comment more so than the content that riled me. Southsider attended a traditional Rugby school from memory and it's that attitude that hinders the game when someone from the that system displays such dismissive arrogance toward the kinds of non-traditional participation the needs to strengthen its base both in playing and supporters.

The game would be all the stronger as you alluded to, if many of the elite Catholic school sporting programs decided to en masse take up Rugby in a serious nature. Many of the traditional schools could be in for a shock if that did occur.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Mate, if ignorance is bliss. Then you're delirious. St Greg's train and prepare for this event. They bring in expertise to assist in developing the squad for this event. Each student that competes in 7s for the school also competes in the ISA 1st competition for the school. Yes, and they also play League for the school. The set up of the respective sporting organisations allows for this. The school has a long and proud athletic tradition which actually spans across many sports. Sevens and its nature actually suits the school to a tee.

The boys train for this event. They deserve to be there as they are better than the 'proper' Rugby schools you'd prefer. They have to compete and beat those school which makes there achievement legitimate.

Perhaps, I've crossed a line here in terms of personal conduct. But I had to defend the achievement of these 'fine young men' (the schools primary objective in their education of there students) as an Old Boy of the school who still has significant ties to the school.

im terribly sorry ive upset you but i never said the boys didnt deserved to be there yes they trained hard and yes they beat everyone else competing..good on them. However i have a problem with the above bolded statment. it is my understanding (and correct me if im wrong) that most of the "proper" rugby schools didnt even play in this tournament or if they did they sent 2nd/3rd string teams. From your post above it makes it out as if gregs played and beat teams like trinity, joeys, kings, newington, st Augustines to make it to the final, did they infact do this?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
im terribly sorry ive upset you but i never said the boys didnt deserved to be there yes they trained hard and yes they beat everyone else competing..good on them. However i have a problem with the above bolded statment. it is my understanding (and correct me if im wrong) that most of the "proper" rugby schools didnt even play in this tournament or if they did they sent 2nd/3rd string teams. From your post above it makes it out as if gregs played and beat teams like trinity, joeys, kings, newington, st Augustines to make it to the final, did they infact do this?

Yes, at the state qualifiers in which they won with Hills Sports coming in second. You're also dismissing the levels of talent that existed in the non-traditional schools they competed against to get there. Several those schools are also integral to the League development pathways. They weren't competing against mugs.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Yes, at the state qualifiers in which they won with Hills Sports coming in second. You're also dismissing the levels of talent that existed in the non-traditional schools they competed against to get there. Several those schools are also integral to the League development pathways. They weren't competing against mugs.

And again i have to ask where these first string teams? (dont think you answered that bit) i know in previous years schools have sent below par teams to similar tournaments. If they were full strength i apolgise, should try not to get so worked up over a internet forum.

and not at all, my junior club rugby team was full of dual coders from non-traditional schools and we would have given any gps or cas school a run for their money. But im also realistic, these traditional schools are known as the elite for a reason, just as schools like keebra (and st gregs??) are in league, because they are consistently the best. I know 7's is different to 15's but st gregs are pretty ordinary at 15's and i just find it hard to believe that they are the best schoolboy 7's team in nsw....but like i said before if all the teams were there and they were first string then i stand corrected and congradulations to st gregs

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
And again i have to ask where these first string teams? (dont think you answered that bit) i know in previous years schools have sent below par teams to similar tournaments. If they were full strength i apolgise, should try not to get so worked up over a internet forum.

and not at all, my junior club rugby team was full of dual coders from non-traditional schools and we would have given any gps or cas school a run for their money. But im also realistic, these traditional schools are known as the elite for a reason, just as schools like keebra (and st gregs??) are in league, because they are consistently the best. I know 7's is different to 15's but st gregs are pretty ordinary at 15's and i just find it hard to believe that they are the best schoolboy 7's team in nsw..but like i said before if all the teams were there and they were first string then i stand corrected and congradulations to st gregs

What is your point. St Gregs played whoever was in front of them and are the national champs, no argument. Anyone, in any game or comp can always say what if - it doesn't change of the result.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
What is your point. St Gregs played whoever was in front of them and are the national champs, no argument. Anyone, in any game or comp can always say what if - it doesn't change of the result.

1) no they arnt national champs thats keebra

2)whats your point though? ive already acknowledged that they won the nsw title bit and good on them for doing so

whatever

Darby Loudon (17)
1) no they arnt national champs thats keebra

2)whats your point though? ive already acknowledged that they won the nsw title bit and good on them for doing so

You are right re: Keebra. I don't have a point, except reading your blogs - you seem to be indicating - if only Joey's or Newington did this etc etc then St Gregs and Keebra wouldn't have done this. That is 'what if'; it goes nowhere. Congratulations to St Gregs and Keebra.

Status
Not open for further replies.