• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SaderCheif

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Scoey you must have only heard their commentary when they are winning!!. When the AB's or any Kiwi Super Rugby team aren't doing the best the commentary can turn on a dime. Their biasness puts our team to shame.

yea NZ commentary can be poor at times but if anyone things those Fox Sports douchebags are better, they need to get their head checked. How people can tolerate Marto and Kearns ill never know.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
yea NZ commentary can be poor at times but if anyone things those Fox Sports douchebags are better, they need to get their head checked. How people can tolerate Marto and Kearns ill never know.

I'd prefer the Argentinian commentary to those clowns.

J

Jiggles

It’s rather insulting to Quade, and to the rugby public for Deans to pull the fitness line. Quade has played a number of Super Rugby games pretty well and for 80 mins. He has also been in top notch for South’s up in Brisbane. He has played far more rugby than Beale or Mitchell who are in the 22. Dean’s has also indicated JOC (James O'Connor) will come back into the fold with no time spent in club land.

Cut the BS Robbie. Tell the public what is really going on.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I know you guys are trying to be positive but your language tells me neither of you are confident he can have the effect you think he is being selected for.

TPN, Higgers and Timani are hardly reknowned for there work in tight. Then to choose a backline that suits a tighter game and to say they will look at going through the AB's rather than around. It makes no sense.

Really looking forward to seeing Fainga'a at 12. Not the ideal choice but i am a fan and think it's probably as good or better than having McCabe at 12. He has better ball playing ability and a good combination with Genia and Ioane. He was great at 12 off Cooper a couple of years ago before shifting to 13. Hopefully Barnes takes the line on early to put the defence in two minds and keep a defender or two watching him all game. If he doesn't Finger and Horne are going to be smashed all night.

The term "try" was more a comment about the AB's defense. We will try to bend it.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I think Timani is there to try to bend the line and make dominant tackles (as is TPN) because Simmons, Douglas, Pyle & Neville don't and neither does our back row.

Phipps? I understand White is wounded and waiting for surgery.

Yes, but Phipps? I'd have taken Sheehan, or even Kingi or McKibben before Phipps.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Yes, but Phipps? I'd have taken Sheehan, or even Kingi or McKibben before Phipps.
The reserve scrum-half is trivial. Genia will play a full game. Phipps is just warming the bench. Although with the 5/2 split, he could end up on the wing.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Negativity?? .......or rage at the fact we are all still going to watch a game where we know that the best 15 will not be on the field .That once again the selectors will not let us watch said game without having second thoughts about wtf is going on?? I can only dream of the day that I sit in a decent stadium and cheer on our beloved Wallabies knowing that the best talent we have available is on the paddock throwing the pill around ,occasionally stuffing up, sometimes winning, sometimes not. If we then get beaten by a better team through a last minute Lomu try or Wilkinson drop goal I can turn to the 2 Man monsters behind me or the 120 kg ex prop next to me and say "well done bro!" or "lets go have a pint" It actually happened...I call it frustration and if you want it back enough it will come...don't accept the wrong if you can right it..

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Beale. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to 15. Mitchell to the wing.

Edit: I'll be much more worried if Genia goes down.
Hopefully we will see this configuration late in the game with Barnes moving out one and either Fainga'a or Horne getting a rest.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think Timani is there to try to bend the line and make dominant tackles

I respectfully disagree. I have not watched every tahs match this season, but after being roundly shut down by barbarian (after I dared to criticize Timani's presence in the last June test) I have watched every game where Timani has played. He does not do any of this. Ever. He would be close to the laziest player I ever witnessed put on a sky blue (or gold) jersey. That video that was put up by Barbarian showed some of the good, but the other video that was put up highlighted just how atrocious the rest was - and it is that which most people seem to be able to see that makes him an unpopular selection.

He has this impressive physique that is just underutilized. It's like he doesn't realize the damage he could really do.

(As for offloading the ball, he doesn't really do much of that either unless offloading once in a test match is the current definition of an "offloader" these days - SBW is a veritable pez dispenser by comparison).

Happy to be proven wrong this weekend, but I won't be.

*edit* I may have not interpreted what you said properly given your response earlier :/

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Timani there to provide the illusion of dominant tackles and strong ball running, and to stare into rucks and mauls with the intent of maybe making some impact or just patting the other guys on the back.........

I hope they dip his hands into a jar of honey before the game too, because his lineout work leaves a lot to be desired.........

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I guess half of the Wallabies problem is the fact that in 20 tests, Rob Simmons still hasn't asserted himself as an automatic selection even when Horwill is injured.

As lazy as Timani is, Simmons also goes missing and spends plenty of time lurking offside rather than head down, bum up smashing into the rucks.

I'd like to see Douglas given a run.

We are so light on for quality locks at the moment, it is a real problem.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)

I find them bloody funny. Periodically they will chip in some good observations but for my 2c if folks are getting annoyed they are taking them a lot more seriously than they take themselves I'd think.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I hope they dip his hands into a jar of honey before the game too, because his lineout work leaves a lot to be desired...

Is he likely to be thrown any lineouts? Sharpe and Higginbotham will be our two prime jumpers and Dennis and Pocock are probably the next two.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I think Timani there to provide the illusion of dominant tackles and strong ball running, and to stare into rucks and mauls with the intent of maybe making some impact or just patting the other guys on the back...

I hope they dip his hands into a jar of honey before the game too, because his lineout work leaves a lot to be desired...

With Dennis and higgers as loosies they won't be throwing to Timani.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, I also have some misgivings about this Wallaby team and their current chances - however I don't really feel like spending the rest of the week waiting for the axe to fall.

I'd rather take a 'glass half full approach' and look for the upside, even if it just provides fodder. For example -

- first and foremost, the team has had more time to work together than NZ or SA. This is a big factor in the modern game - there is a reason that the Barbarians sides rarely win games these days despite the quality of their teams
- picking the Tahs front row has the advantage of combination and, in their best form they are all strong scrummagers
- Dave Dennis has been outstanding this year and may just prove the ideal foil for Higginbotham.
- We need some sting in the pack. TPN is quite capable of providing that. Pocock will be his usual dynamo at the breakdown
- I like our bench - Moore is world class, Slipper is a big improvement on Alexander (IMO), after a few weeks off I reckon a freshen up Hooper could be outstanding in the last 20 & Samo remains capable of providing quality impact, even if quantity is now beyond him. A fit Mitchell is a big plus (and the selectors are in a much better position then me to make that decision)
- We have just come off a 3-0 winning series against Wales. The coach has shown faith in the majority of players in that series, including Barnes who was MOM in two games. Retaining Horne also gives stability and people who know much more about rugby then me think the bloke has enormous potential/ability
- Will Genia, Digby Ioane & Kurtley Beale are all capable of sparking points from any half chances.
- Ant Fiangaa has form against SBW. Personally I rate him higher than Horne. His defence has the capability to be game defining the way McCabes was in the QF last year
- Hopefully dropping Simmonds to the bench will give him a kick in the pants and he will rip in (which he is capable of doing)
- and lastly, While I have concerns about Timani's workrate, the first time I saw Toutai Kefu I thought he was lazy too. Let's hope I am just as bad a judge in this case.

Wallabies by 7. MOM S Timani.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
As lazy as Timani is, Simmons also goes missing and spends plenty of time lurking offside rather than head down, bum up smashing into the rucks.

The difference between the two is that Simmons has actually shown he is capable of playing well and being involved. repeatedly. (He has also shown that he can go missing). Timani has only ever shown that he is missing in action.

I'd like to see Douglas given a run.
We are so light on for quality locks at the moment, it is a real problem.

I agree on both counts. There are issues in this area, but if Simmons is on the outer, then there are other options ahead of Timani.

Status
Not open for further replies.