• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 Australia vs New Zealand - 18 August

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Game 1 between NZ and Australia?

• The Men in Gold - The Wallabies

Votes: 50 45.9%
  • The Darkness - The New Zealand Rugby Team

Votes: 59 54.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not blaming him for the loss, but he certainly contributed......

How many times did he blow an attacking opportunity by kicking the ball back to the AB back 3?

And then there were times when he should've kicked it inside the 22m but instead decided to put his outside backs under pressure with a lousy pass.........

He just didn't cut it.........

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Barnes played as well as he could (place kicking was great under pressure) but he's not a 10. He has never had a great passing game and he stands super deep. However, I would like to see him at 12 with Cooper at 10.

He stands as deep as it takes to get space relative to the speed of delivery of the ball. Problem is the ball comes slow he gets caught behind the advantage line. Cooper gets slow ball at test level, plays flat and force his hand creating errors. It's just more proof that we need to do better up front before we worry about the backs at all.

Agree we need to play Barnes and cooper as we need a combo of there skills that neither one possesses on his own.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Like I wrote earlier, look at the work of the tight forwards and the lack of real impact and consistency and that is the reason Higgers is not able to play loose. I don't doubt that if the likes of Kepu, TPN, Timani were getting stuck in to secure ball that Higgers would have more opportunities to run the ball.

McCaw and Read and even last night Messam get those opportunities because guys like Owen Franks, Woodcock, Mealamu and Sam Whitelock are rarely shirking from the collisions.

Whitelock from a tight forwards perspective was immense again last night as he was vs Ireland earlier this year. He has a huge motor and his fitness excellent.

Agree. I'd take the entire front row from the ABs twice over before ours last night.

One of the hallmarks of the Wallabies in recent history was struggling in the scrum but the front row would really get around the field. Last night we did neither.

The other difference was the speed of the ABs pack. On defence off the line, getting to rucks, and supporting the ball carrier. You can't fault Genia for waiting when he has no options as no forwards are ready for the ball, yet somehow only a few are at the ruck.

Combination of lazy forwards and seemingly lack of tactics (highlighted in Scott's video vs Wales) for alignment in multiple phases.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Combination of lazy forwards and seemingly lack of tactics (highlighted in Scott's video vs Wales) for alignment in multiple phases.

Watched for this after Scott's video. Exactly the same bunching evident, I thought.

Reactions: Ash

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So all the lead up work and decoy running and scrum work was pinning our hopes on the brilliance of Dagg. Not sure I agree...
no I think it's a reflection of your midfield not really doing much.
The absence of Conrad smith, IMO, is the real explanation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
He stands as deep as it takes to get space relative to the speed of delivery of the ball. Problem is the ball comes slow he gets caught behind the advantage line. Cooper gets slow ball at test level, plays flat and force his hand creating errors. It's just more proof that we need to do better up front before we worry about the backs at all.

Agree we need to play Barnes and cooper as we need a combo of there skills that neither one possesses on his own.
it must be true that if we picked, assuming we can, 5 tight forwards who could do the hardwork we could live with any backrow and 5/8 Deans cared to pick

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I love that Barnes is the scapegoat du jour. What rubbish. The game was lost up front and, at any rate, he was far from the worst back. Beale, Fainga'a and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were all poor. Genia was bad early, then improved but was way too slow at the base of the ruck. Part of that was realignment but part of it was also simple indecisiveness.

I think the unfortunate reality is that we were simply beaten across the park. Aside from Sharpe and Digby, I don't think a single Wallaby outplayed their opposite number.

I'm not sure what - if any - changes will really turn things around. Quade to 10 and BB to 12, sure, but that doesn't address 1-8. With the injuries to key cattle, and players like Robbo out of form, we just don't have the depth necessary to put any real pressure on the All Blacks.

No one said we lost because of Barnes, we are just saying 'I told you so' when it came to the lack of width and lack of spark that exists when Barnes is at 10.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'd take a shit scrum before a shit breakdown performance. Robinson and timani appear to be there for the scrum. Swap for slipper and simmons/Douglas.
That may be right but i havent noticed that we get to choose lately which it will be or whether we get the quinella

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
No one said we lost because of Barnes, we are just saying 'I told you so' when it came to the lack of width and lack of spark that exists when Barnes is at 10.
There was plenty of width, just no go forward before we went wide. When Barnes got front foot ball we looked OK. The two or three times that our forwards got some momentum

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I really hope Beale takes note of how he played last night. The last two years he has been very critical of his team mates on field after they have stuffed something up - it has been really shit to watch actually. Not good team mate behaviour at all from him.

Well, he now has a pretty good personal reference point he can draw on in future when someone else stuffs up.

I am betting he won't learn at all though.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I really hope Beale takes note of how he played last night. The last two years he has been very critical of his team mates on field after they have stuffed something up - it has been really shit to watch actually. Not good team mate behaviour at all from him.

Well, he now has a pretty good personal reference point he can draw on in future when someone else stuffs up.

I am betting he won't learn at all though.
Whats to learn?
Israel Dagg has more toe than a roman sandal and if you dont watch the ball there's a good chance you'll drop it?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
But why should he have to "stay tight". He is a loose forward after all..

As an 8, at least in NZ, there is the thinking you have to be prepared to do up-the-guts grunt work. Kieran Read is also very good in the loose, but it doesn't mean he is not expected to get into the tight work as well.

Reactions: BPC

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Roland ensured there was no flow for either side. Both sides were off side for most of the game.

Yeah, Rolland is the classic NH pedant. Just blows too much and ruins the flow of the game.

Classic example was the penalty against Genia for advancing too early from the 10m at the lineout. An action that had absolutely no effect on the game at all. You can argue that it's illegal and a penalty is a penalty. But the role of a rugby referee isn't to blow a penalty every time he sees an offence, it is to facilitate a free-flowing game that is good to watch. Rolland fails at that more often than not.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A couple of questions

Why are we bothering to talk about width and the backs when we aren't getting forward momentum?

The Wobs for the last three years have struggled to get forward momentum against the better sides. We go one out and do little.

So why not emulate the Boks, England and now the Brumbies and revert to the pod system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom