• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Game 2 New Zealand vs Australia - 25 August

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Welcome Tigger. We have a new quiz for first-time posters. Please choose one:

(a) Deans is the man, stick with him;
(b) Deans has brought in some new talent but hasn't got the game plan quite right;
(c) Deans is struggling with the Australian rugby culture but it's certainly not all his fault; or
(d) the correct answer

Possibly the best post on the deans issue, put it on at-shirt.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
More aimless kicking from the Wallabies than during the Swans vs Hawks match going on at the same time.

M

Muttonbird

Welcome Tigger. We have a new quiz for first-time posters. Please choose one:

(a) Deans is the man, stick with him;
(b) Deans has brought in some new talent but hasn't got the game plan quite right;
(c) Deans is struggling with the Australian rugby culture but it's certainly not all his fault; or
(d) the correct answer
Fascinating. It's all the coaches fault. Nothing to do with the ARU's refusal to impliment any meaningful sub-Super 10,12,14,15 national comp whatsoever. JON's first tenure at the ARU was stellar, the second, not so much.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Fascinating. It's all the coaches fault. Nothing to do with the ARU's refusal to impliment any meaningful sub-Super 10,12,14,15 national comp whatsoever. JON's first tenure at the ARU was stellar, the second, not so much.

For all the hits he takes,this continued "failed to implement" is a missed shot. JONs second term has been about cost cutting and financial responsibility. If others before him hadn't rushed maybe a third tier would exist. I question if in the financial climate of JONs second term how he could implement a successful and accepted third tier. At this point in time, it's a want, not something that is being denied.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I think many of us want that, but there are massive logistical and financial obstacles to be overcome to make it happen. It could be done if we say that only the Eastern States have any part to play, but that chokes the development of the game here in the West (which is a real growth area). I think we are producing test class players, but I'm not convinced we have the same production line of test class coaches.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think John O'Neil's second term has been pretty good. Appointing Deans the first time looked like a master stroke. His re-appointment is the only thing that I can see that looks dodgy and he had form for that with Rod McQueen.

M

Muttonbird

For all the hits he takes,this continued "failed to implement" is a missed shot. JONs second term has been about cost cutting and financial responsibility. If others before him hadn't rushed maybe a third tier would exist. I question if in the financial climate of JONs second term how he could implement a successful and accepted third tier. At this point in time, it's a want, not something that is being denied.

I hear you WJ and I know that rugby fans in Australia would kill for something more meaningful to replace club rugby there but there has been no desire from the decision-makers for decades now. I would have thought the current economic climate in Australia would be the perfect time to throw some weight behind a national comp. Is Rinehart interested in Rugby at all or just digging, digging, digging for China?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The backrow is clearly an issue. We need Palu badly for the ball running and physicality he provides. In his absence I think we need to persist with Dennis and Higginbotham. Those two were consistently excellent in Super Rugby and that needs to be considered.

Kieran Read is being discussed as possibly the best number 8 in All Blacks history. He's a hard player to compete against.

I don't think that dropping Dennis and Higginbotham for players like Schatz is the answer. We need to accept that they are inexperienced and could take some time to get there at test level.

We need to accept that these are weak positions for us currently and there are no magic bullets to be fix the problem.

We have been looking for a physical lock and after about 5 tests, Timani has played an excellent game. Most people would have given up on him after a couple of tests.

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Going back a couple of weeks with some of these:

It's great having the opinions of opposing teams supporters on this forum, should be more of them.

I can only watch the tests so after seeing Kurtly and Drew for the first time in a while my impressions were that Beale is definitely going through the fat Elvis phase (he's been there before hasn't he?) and Drew was way down on pace.

In the first test I thought that when Sharpe scored his try Kurtley was actually going off at the All Blacks being offside.

I thought there wasn't too much in Quade tweeting at two in the morning. I quite often get up a couple of hours before I should (4am) to go to work.

I have no idea of the rules in regard to Genia's sin binning but from my simplistic common sense view if Genia's tackled the guy and then the tackled player is on his back passing the ball shouldn't they both be allowed to play at the ball? Be kind to me!

And Deans? Well, I have no idea about whether he has a plan and if it is, or if it isn't, being executed because it is never communicated. Do we have a right to know? Does he have to tell us?

Finally, Saturday night I thought we were a lot better than the week before but we lost by almost three times the margin! It's no secret to me, New Zealand are way too good and we have to get used to the fact that we are going to be second best, at the most, for a while to come. I see no coach or player fixing that scenario up for a while either.

M

Muttonbird

I thought there wasn't too much in Quade tweeting at two in the morning.
I don't blame the guy for being awake at that time of night before a big game but he shouldn't be advertising it, especially when he refused to talk to the media.
I have no idea of the rules in regard to Genia's sin binning but from my simplistic common sense view if Genia's tackled the guy and then the tackled player is on his back passing the ball shouldn't they both be allowed to play at the ball? Be kind to me!

The tackled player seems to have a period of grace to either plant the ball or pass it while on the ground but still with momentum. The tackler seems to be able to do nothing until they get to their feet. An inconsistancy, I agree.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
The tackled player seems to have a period of grace to either plant the ball or pass it while on the ground but still with momentum. The tackler seems to be able to do nothing until they get to their feet. An inconsistancy, I agree.

It's more an issue of order or cadence than an inconsistancy. Tackler must release before the tackled player can play the ball in most circumstances.

teach

Trevor Allan (34)
Beale was one. Who else?

Well, my boy thinks AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) should have to withdraw from partnering Beale in the Wallaby pie eating contests.

I thought one of the Fainga brothers was jiggling excessively when he ran on in the second half.

We were just noticing it more because the boy is trying out for U16 reps and is very concious of bodyfat percentages. Some of the top teams he has played against this year were built like greyhounds, even the props were lean.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I hear you WJ and I know that rugby fans in Australia would kill for something more meaningful to replace club rugby there but there has been no desire from the decision-makers for decades now. I would have thought the current economic climate in Australia would be the perfect time to throw some weight behind a national comp. Is Rinehart interested in Rugby at all or just digging, digging, digging for China?

But current economic climate is times aren't great for those who might spend money on rugby. Meanwhile afl and rugby league have really got their shit together. Rugby sold out to channel 9 to get poor promotion for a sport seen by the network as a novelty between league games, zero promotion and zero interest. Meanwhile there are far more kids playing afl and soccer than ever before. So where do you get sufficient interest for a serious, financially viable comp. need people to either turn up or pay to watch it. Not sure the market is there.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Injuries deprives him of much consistency for the rebels but the times when he did get to have a few runs I thought he was one of our best. Hard runner constantly getting over the line and often drawing in two players. Good hands and passing. Excellent defense and he hits rucks when needed.
Just watched the uni manly, Bruce and Inman was superb. As was strizaker!
Inman should remain in the wallaby camp to train up and improve with a view to coming off the bench in the argy or bok game.

Status
Not open for further replies.