• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

maxdacat

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
2 week ban for a pretend headbut that didn't even connect?! That is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe that. Sharpe milked that for all it was worth. What is the game coming to when players are trying to get others sent off? Simulation it's called in football (soccer).
I didn't think there was much in it. Certainly not even a penalty. Not sure why it's sparking off a whole shit fight on here?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
And what about the Boks after the Perth test match?

They had some promising players coming through in Super Rugby this year; guys like M. Coetzee of the Sharks, J. Goosen of the Cheetahs and J.Kruger of the Bulls, who did not impress me as being Bok material when he played for Northampton by the way, but he does now. However Boks fans knew that replacing Matfiled, Bakkies, du Preez and the injured Burger would be difficult, and that J. Fourie and J. Smith had gone with the wind.

The Boks played some good and bad rugby against England and were poor in Mendoza, not that we expect the Wobs to do much better over there.

In Perth they were ordinary against Oz, an ordinary team this year apart from hanging on a couple of times against Wales, and it's almost as surprising that they are 3rd ranked in the world as it is that Oz is 2nd.

There is nothing wrong in winning rugby games with traditional Bok laager rugby: after all, bash, barge and kick suits their nature, always has; but to do that you need your goal kicker to kick his goals.

M. Steyn had several lapses in goal kicking in Super Rugby this year, finishing just a click above the tournament average of 76%. Goosen finished on 86%. Steyn has missed some important goal kicks in test matches this year also, including droppies.

Apart from his kicking Steyn would be fortunate to be picked in a Sydney 1st Grade team. Therefore Goosen should start. He can play as flat as a shadow and whilst that may need some adjustment from the other backs, it will get rewards.

He won't be able to work miracles: the Bok backline had problems nothing to do with a 10. They had 2 or 3 opportunuities in the Oz 22 and JdV must have been appalled by the options his players took, especially running back inside where the tacklers were.

Nor could their big bopper ball runners bend the Oz tackle line too much; yet the Oz boppers could, vice versa: Higginbotham's try was too easy and Alexander should have been stopped before he scored.
Good summary Oom Lee, Goosen only got a few minutes but he sure show in those couple of minutes what he is capable. Myself still is convinse that Meyer got his midfielders in the wrong positions for starters. and we need a proper openside flanker.

The best Bok combo I'd pick for next week is:
Lampie, Habana, Steyn, JdV, Hougaard, Goosen, Pienaar, Vermeulen, Coetzee, Flo, Bekker, Kruger, Jannie, Strauss, Beast.

The Pumas sure show the way to beat the All Blacks, play in the face for 80 minutes and I am pretty sure we can beat them if we do just that. Beating the All Blacks in NZ goes far beyond winning a WC trophe in my books and the challenge should spur our Springbok on in achieving just that.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
I reckon lairy Sharpe the penalty machine was the right man for the job last weekend. I even saw him staring down and yelling at the opposing hooker at a bok lineout! He set the tone for a defiant team effort.

Estebeth was unfortunate to get a ban for the carry on with Sharpie. It was a great little confrontation to watch as a (relatively) neutral fan. He's some player already, scary to think what he'll be like when he hits his mid to late 20s.

P.S How about that man Ashley-Cooper eh?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I must admit, two high tackles in one movement and getting away with both is pretty awesome!
I shudder to think of the number of posts that there would have been if the same occured except it was Schalk Burger who had been "awesome" tackling Diggers and Shipperley.

I suggest that the discussion would not have been based around celebrating and endorsing Schalk's awesomeness.

Well done to Two-Dads for getting away with it.

Law 10.4e Dangerous Tackling. A player must not tackle an opponent early, late, or dangerously.
A player must not tackle or try to tackle an opponent above the line of the shoulders, even if the tackle starts below the line of the shoulders.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I shudder to think of the number of posts that there would have been if the same occured except it was Schalk Burger who had been "awesome" tackling Diggers and Shipperley.

I suggest that the discussion would not have been based around celebrating and endorsing Schalk's awesomeness.

I must admit my first reaction as that tackle was unfolding was, "aw crap, here comes 3 points or a yellow or both" It looked bad to me. Amazing but bad. Couldn't believe at the time that none of the commentators seemed the high shots worth mentioning.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I must admit my first reaction as that tackle was unfolding was, "aw crap, here comes 3 points or a yellow or both" It looked bad to me. Amazing but bad. Couldn't believe at the time that none of the commentators seemed the high shots worth mentioning.

Haha you obviously didn't take note of who was commentating then. ;)

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Haha you obviously didn't take note of who was commentating then. ;)

Haha! Obviously not. Actually now that you mention it, I try not to pay to much attention to the FoxAU commentators at the best of times otherwise I find myself in an argument with the TV.

On commentary, I'm actually a bit keen to listen to that Kiwi Alternative Rugby Commentary for a test for a laugh.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
One match off was probably contributed to by the fact that it received no censure from the ref at the time, who was aggressively disinterested in what Sharpe had to say. I still think it deserved what it got. It's not like a bakkies or meelamu headbutt where it could be argued to be accidental in the course of legal play. It was a pretty blatant attempt, and deemed to have made contact by the reviewing official. If someone attempts a gouge and fails because they don't make contact with the eyeball it isn't a case of no-harm-no-foul. Not trying to stir shit up, I just don't understand why saffers feel so aggrieved about this.

On commentary, I'm actually a bit keen to listen to that Kiwi Alternative Rugby Commentary for a test for a laugh.

Are they running that again? I only found out about it a few years ago when they seemed to have stopped broadcasting.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
From what I've heard they still do it for some matches and you can stream it online. I haven't tried yet though so I can't say for sure.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I recall somewhere a google or two back that the ARC fellow was "calling" some of the TRC games from a variety of pubs in Australia, Singapore and elsewhere.

I'll see if I can find a reference for those interested and post it if someone doesnt beat me to it.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
"not trying to stir shit up" but I'm just going to attempt to continue with an argument that everyone else has moved on from a day ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.