• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 Australia vs Argentina - 15 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 4 Game 2 between ARG and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Los Pumas – Argentina

Votes: 16 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H...

In which tests was he "amazing" in 2010? I remember him get a fucking red card in one of them.

R

rugbyfan

Couple things from this game:

1. Quade's arrogance was the reason why we only just won this game tonight. When comparing the players of NZ to AUS there is a clear desire to play top class rugby. This is due to DEPTH. Quade can continue to have sub-par games because he's not afraid of other players around him taking his spot, when you look across the ditch and NZ have 3 or 4 major 10's that could replace Dan Carter and Cruden. We need more of this competitive nature within the teams, which is why I believe Kane Douglas and Hooper played so well tonight (consistent for Hooper over last couple games); because they know there are players that "should" be ahead of them, i.e James Horwill for Douglas and Pocock for Hooper. They are performing at peak because they have that DESIRE to continue playing in the gold jersey. If Quade thinks he can consistently make wrong decisions and be so lazy in attack and defence he should be told!

2. Barnes at 15 did not work, it was essentially him playing at 10 yet he could take a few more steps before he did his ridiculous mid-field bombs.

3. Watching the NZ v RSA game beforehand really highlighted the physicality we are lacking, I find it hard to watch our AUS team go from ruck to ruck struggling to win the contest. There is under 15 foundations in clean outs and ruck sealing that we seem to lack. We always seem to allow the opposition a peak into the heart of our rucks and thus leads to sloppy ball off messy rucks. Just have a look at NZ flood the area, and even RSA flood it, there is a major difference; but there should be no reason for this massive difference!

4. We need the belief, every time the boys spread it wide tonight they had no rage behind their runs, no confidence that they were going to break the line. Again look at both NZ and RSA's backlines, every time they run the ball it is with purpose and vigor, they are wanting those metres and would put their body on the line for it. I just am struggling to see this mindset in the AUS backline at the moment, we struggle to beat 1 on 1 tackles and we look weak in contact.

5. Simple errors such as the line out misses are basic, these guys are professional rugby players, the top class players in the country, you would think that they would perfect their skill set, such as Tatafu and his line out throws. I know people will say he is more of a ball runner and he has other values in the team, but seriously, he is a hooker, and Australia's best, we can't have our best Australian hooker letting the team down with not straight throws that are again; under 15's foundations.

That's just what I brought out of this game, I found it extremely hard to watch and couldn't actually wait until the final whistle blew so I could go back and watch a reply of the NZ v ARG game from the week before.

H

H...

4. We need the belief, every time the boys spread it wide tonight they had no rage behind their runs, no confidence that they were going to break the line. Again look at both NZ and RSA's backlines, every time they run the ball it is with purpose and vigor, they are wanting those metres and would put their body on the line for it. I just am struggling to see this mindset in the AUS backline at the moment, we struggle to beat 1 on 1 tackles and we look weak in contact.

every fucking season i read that TPN has fixed his throwing and is finally going to be our very own bismarck du plessis. then every fucking test he has at least 3 not-straight calls.

the first two people picked should be a goalkicker and someone who can throw the ball in straight.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
There is a lightning fast kid playin for Uni Norths in the under 14's in Canberra.

Why don't we blood him as well? Lets just pick that whole team, they did reasonably well, and are obviously the future.

Now you're just being ridiculous. I saw that kid, he only looked fast because the other children were all fat.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
every fucking season i read that TPN has fixed his throwing and is finally going to be our very own bismarck du plessis. then every fucking test he has at least 3 not-straight calls.

the first two people picked should be a goalkicker and someone who can throw the ball in straight.

Fuck me he threw ONE not straight out of 14. That's really not that bad.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Mitchell wasn't brought back early, he had played several games of rugby before he started that Test.

*sigh* mate ......put down the 'protect the waratahs' at all cost axe its really ruining the vibe.

Cummins should definately get in i really really like him as a player.

I think mcabe played really well tonight unlucky with the yellow card. I thought he ranand tackled well but also i did see him catch and look to pass or make the pass a facet of his game he didnt have last international season. I think long term tapuai or lealifano should be 12 and mcabe 13. To all those who say he doesnt have the toe for 13....he managed to catch Camacho tonight.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a good player but i think he is probably a bench option he is solid but he isnt the best option for us in any position (in a perfect world where everyone is fit) but definately should be in our 22 each week.

I know it may sound annoying but on the flip side most of our key players are still 25 and younger 27-29 is really their peak so i am pretty ok with everything. Also alot of the aus players whos et the Super 15 aligth this year are otu injured soooo what can you do

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
To add my two cents to those discussions TPN's throwing, if at a test level if you get 60-70% or your lineout ball clean, another 10-20% if some fashion, and the turn overs don't result in anything horrendous like a kickable penalty or a try, you get an A+.

My opinion on the test, the Wobs' play is obviously stilted as fuck and not pretty to watch. BUT we've proven pretty conclusively so far we're the 2nd best in the world (pending away tests).

Sometimse you can watch a team play and they'll flow really nicely but not be able to win tough ones, and sometimes a team will never be able to put anyone to the sword but will usually win tough ones. I think the Wallabies are the latter.

Obviously room for improvement but I'm not devastated with the last 2 weeks.

numbertwo

Peter Burge (5)
Just my opinion:Australia's best hooker in all aspects of the game is Moore. TPN was awful tonight. On the other point the Wallabies are clearly not the 2nd best team in the world. Also, there are other options for the ball carrier when going into contact than going to ground and forming a ruck. We seem stuck in a hit up ruck mentality. Please organise league contracts for Cooper and Beale.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Intercepts and charge downs are just not acceptable. I can forgive forward passes and knock ons and even the plethora of missed tackles. Intercepts and charge downs are things that cost you matches as we nearly saw, simple as that.

These were the obvious faults in Cooper's game. His arrogance is in every pass, though.
He and we have become a 1 trick pony: a long flat pass to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) running across field who is an easy mark for any half organised defence.
Cooper doesn't seem to want to control the game.
He lacks patience - every touch has to be something magical: this is why he threw the abominable pass to Barnes.
The coaching staff are content to see him risk it all on miracle balls - hence the foregoing - and are not giving him running options. His play is entirely predictable - except to the extent that the long pass is sometimes replaced by an aimless kick with no regard for the fact that, yet again, the opposition has the superior kicking game.
I also think that there is a problem between Phipps and Cooper: I am sure the latter was abusing the former for the pass he dropped when he had an enormous look but I am also sure that QC (Quade Cooper) called for it (I am sure he was the one telling Phipps to go back the same way from rucks when he had no support).
QC (Quade Cooper) was nowhere to be seen in congratulating Phipps for putting Digby in.
The guy is too cool for school and needs a break so he can reflect on the fact that, at the moment, he is part of the problem.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
QC (Quade Cooper) had a bad game for sure but I am not certain that all the comments regarding his attitude are on the mark. He is trying to do what he does best and it was just not coming off all(most) of the time. A couple of years ago when everything he touched turned to gold all and sundry were hailing him a genius. He has obviously worked on his tackling technique and has tried to play within himself over the past few weeks.
He is playing in an injury depleted Wallaby side and is returning to the fold himself. He was playing with a very inexperienced half and a 12 who was just returning from injury himself having had only 30 mins of club ball under his belt.
I for one do not want to see BB given back the 10 jersey. He is pedestrian in attack and we just will not score points. At least Quade asks some questions of opposing defenses and will improve with each game.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Timmy Horan was summing it up best when he said Quade was looking all night for his runners to hit the gaps at hard direct angles. He needs to go to a b plan when the a is not working out. I also think Quade the type of bloke who needs heaps of rugby.

W

Waylon

Cooper has every skill in the book. The game accelerates when he touches the ball. The pace of the game is set to ignite. His attacking skills are seriously hampered by Deans' game plans. Mccabe would make a wonderful 15. We need a 12 to complement Cooper........teamwork not a collecton of good players that don't gel.

Cooper has a touch of arrogance ?..........thank christ someone does in that wallaby team. They play like they aren't supposed to win half the time.

Cooper played like he was frustrated. He could see the holes everywhere and was willing our static and flat footed and motionless backs to run into them. He started just throwuing the ball at the holes hoping the game-watching plonkers would catch on.

The wallaby backline is a crime against rugby at the moment.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Cooper was off.
I was worried in the lead up how he would handle the game with no Genia and no Barnes. He was back to the Cooper of a couple years ago with looking for something every play and I think this is a result of the pressure. He will be much better next game.

Ghibli

Ted Thorn (20)
As previously said here, no point on bagging individual players based on a specific forward pass or the penalty conceded, or just sympathy. We know what they can and cannot deliver.

I don't mean to be negative, and I am happy that we won against the Pumas, but the fundamental problems remain.

Beyond the individual blunders, the more worrying sign is that this is a team poorly selected and coached, a team which stumbles from match to match without apparent overall strategy or passion. We discover the occasional outstanding performance amongst the gray slobber of the plodders, but for Christ sake, we won in the last part of the match vs No8 in the world.

We are getting used to this mediocrity,and we're losing sight of what a real Wallaby team should deliver.

Can't help feeling like this is a team in intensive care, struggling to get enough oxigen to keep going, relying on one-offs rather than on an intelligent and executable plan.

With Dean at the helm, do I see things being any different in 12 months time? Honestly, no. This is taking the excitement of watching the Wobs away - every game feels like a visit to the hospital. It should not be this way.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Argie defence was very good, quick and dynamic, it made Cooper's life pretty difficult to get the timing right and it wasn't helped by the amount of side ways play that was happening. We too often lack direct straight play, quick realignment and depth

Phipps appears to be on many posters hate list. I thought he was fine, he has a good, clean long pass and gets the ball away quickly with little merkatting

Happy

Alex Ross (28)
I thought McCabe played well. I was surprised none of the people who have been claiming he can't pass haven't been publicly retracting those statements. Others have claimed he is too slow, yet he ran down the Argentinian winger who is supposedly a flyer. He made it over the gain line every time, and scored a try with a good running angle. It was the best performance by a Wallaby 12 so far in the TRC.

It was also good to see the passion when he scored that try. The bloke gives it everything, and if all our players had that heart and determination we would be traveling much better.

I was impressed with Douglas too.

Status
Not open for further replies.