• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15 New Kids on the Block

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Waylon

The bloke playing 6 for the Brumbies has impressed. I have no idea what his name is but he's going good

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Nick Frisby looked electric when he came on for QLD. Has always been quality but injury ruined his Aus Schoolboy chances 2 years ago, meaning he had to fight his way up through Colts and Grades footy. Great to see him show his talent, that try he scored was brilliant.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Willie le Roux from the Cheetahs has impressed with his elusive running in the last two games. Thought his yellow card today against the Rebels was very harsh considering he was going for the intercept. In normal circumstances that is given as a knock-on. Perhaps because it prevented a try scoring opportunity, a penalty was justified. But certainly not a yellow card.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scott Fardy, I agree he's looked the goods but so have Cottrell and Dennis. Higgers and Elsom have got some competition, which can only be a good thing

funny, a few of years ago Aus struggled to find a decent 6, now ......

but now we are struggling to find a serious 13 (not a "make do"), Inman must have a show, good player. Tom Kingston will fit the bill as well once he moves into his proper position, but not this year.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Taps is going well at 13 but don't think he will make it there at test level.
Pyle is really coming on and think should parter Horwill. Simmons will need to improve just to stay on the bench.
Waiting for a winger to step up.
Schatz has impressed me at 8 in case Palu is out.

If you want our best players on the park and cover 13.
10. Cooper
12. Barnes
13. JOC (James O'Connor)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
No one here seems to think Dom Shipperley has adequately impressed. I do, based upon his play and scores to date in 2012.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
No one here seems to think Dom Shipperley has adequately impressed. I do, based upon his play and scores to date in 2012.
I didn't mention him because I assumed he wasn't technically a "New Kid", played a few games last season. But you're right, I mean he is keeping out two Wallaby squad members (Morahan, Davies) from that 14 jersey.

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I think Kingi is looking good for a bench spot behind Genia for the tests this year. He has good pace for a scrummie and gets to breakdown very well. He also has the advantage that he can be a bit of a utility player off the bench being able to cover wing and full back as well.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
funny, a few of years ago Aus struggled to find a decent 6, now ......

but now we are struggling to find a serious 13 (not a "make do"), Inman must have a show, good player. Tom Kingston will fit the bill as well once he moves into his proper position, but not this year.
Not that I'm a huge advocate for the biggest is best camp but, mindful of other international centres these days, is Kingston really big enough to do the job at Wallaby level?

Inman I would love to see a lot more of this season. I think he's got the goods.

L

Lachlan

Luke Jones has looked good for the Rebels. Hard as nails and frequently spins / slips through the first contact with the pill. Has the look of a good lock / blindside about him. Agreed with those posting above that Hardy and Angus Cottrel have looked good at 6. Nice to see some competition for the jumper coming through. Likewise halfback is looking less dire with Kingi (good urgency), Prior (lithe and athletic) and White (plucky with a placekicking game) all looking much better than Phipps ever has. Mogg and Shipperly are looking decent for wing births (2 St. Patrick's College boys filling in for another damaging SPC winger, Drew Mitchell - rugby nursery anyone? ;) ). Pyle also carrying on from last year with strong form. Time will tell who gets their opportunity this year for higher honours and makes the required step up.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Good call but whats with that hair cut??

I cant quite put my finger on it but Kingi looks 'emo' to me. Certainly doesnt play like an emo though, way too enthusiatic. I really hope they put him at 9 more & not back out to the wing. He has been dynamo playing out of the scrumhalf spot. I agree with the Pig that he is looking more & more like Genia's back up.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I cant quite put my finger on it but Kingi looks 'emo' to me. Certainly doesnt play like an emo though, way too enthusiatic. I really hope they put him at 9 more & not back out to the wing. He has been dynamo playing out of the scrumhalf spot. I agree with the Pig that he is looking more & more like Genia's back up.
the missus and I were trying to work it out too. It's almost a bit Rockabilly.

either way it's great to see him getting some starts. I was excited to see him sign for the rebels as I thought he'd have a chance to finally break through, but for some reason Phipps get the nod last year. In my view, Kingi is far better suited to what the rebels (and wallabies) need in a 9

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Willie le Roux from the Cheetahs has impressed with his elusive running in the last two games. Thought his yellow card today against the Rebels was very harsh considering he was going for the intercept. In normal circumstances that is given as a knock-on. Perhaps because it prevented a try scoring opportunity, a penalty was justified. But certainly not a yellow card.
Willie was last year Bolands player of the season. The Paul Roser aint a wing and 10 or 15 probably his preferred positions. With Goosen and Sias a bit of a headache to get in that positions.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not that I'm a huge advocate for the biggest is best camp but, mindful of other international centres these days, is Kingston really big enough to do the job at Wallaby level?

Inman I would love to see a lot more of this season. I think he's got the goods.

Inman is too slow. Kingston is too small.

13 should go first to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Then Horne- he might be in poor form but that's no surprise given how the Waratahs have been playing. I'd be interested to see Luke Morahan there. Or maybe Nick Cummins. Anthony Fainga'a isn't a bad option either.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Inman is too slow. Kingston is too small.

13 should go first to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Then Horne- he might be in poor form but that's no surprise given how the Waratahs have been playing. I'd be interested to see Luke Morahan there. Or maybe Nick Cummins. Anthony Fainga'a isn't a bad option either.
Sorry, I didn't mean for either to be slotted in straight away, just that I'd be interested to see them given a chance at somee stage in the future

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fair enough. But I doubt Inman will get any faster, which is a shame because he could have been the next Stirling Mortlock. With Quade Cooper as our 10 it might be better to have a bigger 12 and a more skilled 13- a bit like Nonu and Smith.

I am really hoping Will Tupou makes good on his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.