• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 S15R12 Stormers vs Waratahs @ Newlands

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Know its a bit early but I got my 4 box tickets for this one today and hopefull I can take Moses to this game.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bumped, seems not a lot of interest in this match. Stormers have all the pressure if they want to keep chasing the pink pack.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Whats wrong with Burke?
Sport24
Beware Stormers bullies’
2012-05-14 15:09

Rob Houwing, Sport24 chief writer

Cape Town - The Waratahs are headed for one of the most intimidating atmospheres in world rugby at Newlands, former fullback favourite Matthew Burke has warned the side.

Writing in the Sydney Morning Herald, the once-staple Wallabies star was assessing what he called their “difficult mini-tour” of South Africa to play the Stormers (Saturday, 19:10) and then Cheetahs.

He branded the Stormers fixture a “tough proposition”, pointing to the fact that the ‘Tahs “haven’t had success for some time” in Cape Town.

Two years ago the men from New South Wales were soundly beaten twice at the venue: 27-5 in round-robin play and then 25-6 in a semi-final.

The rain-lashed 2008 game at the ground was drawn 13-13, while the Waratahs last prevailed in the city in 2006 (32-26).

Burke said: “The players know when you are playing at Newlands it’s one of the best and sometimes most intimidating atmospheres in world rugby, so be ready for it.

“They know the style of the Stormers is to be physical and confrontational, so get ready for it and give some back.

“I still remember a photo of (former ‘Tahs captain) Phil Waugh being collared by five Stormers and no other blue jerseys in sight. This is what they do, they try and outmuscle you by using bully tactics.

“It sounds so schoolboyish but if you take the field be prepared to stand and fight because it will be an all-in, figuratively speaking.”

Burke said that despite losing narrowly to the Bulls in Sydney last time out, he had spotted improvements in the Waratahs’ play and singled out flyhalf Berrick Barnes for praise in a “playmaker” capacity.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
So Burke's idea of all in is 5 of their guys against 1 of ours?
How can he be praising BB for last week? In Tah speak BB was not one of the reasons why we lost, but he was the main reason we didn't win.
Clearly when Foley emptied the bench, the tactic was to close the match down.
Anyone think BB played to the corners and let the clock wind down?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
So Burke's idea of all in is 5 of their guys against 1 of ours?
How can he be praising BB for last week? In Tah speak BB was not one of the reasons why we lost, but he was the main reason we didn't win.
Clearly when Foley emptied the bench, the tactic was to close the match down.
Anyone think BB played to the corners and let the clock wind down?

I have my concerns about BB. Is he over his problems of last year- he seems to start well and then his form tapers off throughout the game?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Are you kidding? Berrick was our best player by a fair margin on Friday. He set up both of our tries.

He made one or two poor kicks in the final 10 minutes, but they were just two in a whole raft of errors made by the whole side. To hold him accountable is a bit of a stretch IMO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The championship minutes are at the end.He was the quarterback and he is supposed to control the game. he didn't control anything in the final 10 and let the tahs just meander along. A few posters have mentioned one of his pop gun kicks that allowed the Bulls the field position to score the final try.
He had some great touches last week but he was lacking, when the game was for the taking.
Which sums up the Tah's this year, did some really good things but not enough or for long enough to actually win.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The championship minutes are at the end.He was the quarterback and he is supposed to control the game.

I dispute this. Sure the 5/8 needs to assume some level of control but he is just one man. I would suggest the captain and forwards need to step up as well, and in the last 10 minutes they were the blokes found wanting. First by giving away a couple of stupid penalties (in the forwards) and then by shoddy goal-line defence and scrum work.

I still would be far from calling BB 'the reason why we didn't win'.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
The championship minutes are at the end.He was the quarterback and he is supposed to control the game. he didn't control anything in the final 10 and let the tahs just meander along. A few posters have mentioned one of his pop gun kicks that allowed the Bulls the field position to score the final try.
He had some great touches last week but he was lacking, when the game was for the taking.
Which sums up the Tah's this year, did some really good things but not enough or for long enough to actually win.
No, he was the five-eighth. I think you were watching the wrong game, mate.

Boom-tish.

You need people doing the right things around you and being in position to be able to execute plays like the ones he did to set up our tries. Perhaps they could have shown more purpose/adventure in the last 10 but if they hadn't cocked up that scrum we'd all be lauding how they shut the game down so effectively and came away with the bikkies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I dispute this. Sure the 5/8 needs to assume some level of control but he is just one man.
The 10 you select, determines the style of play the whole side plays, it is a role that bears more responsibility than other players.it is not just one man, or at least it's not in winning sides.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I dispute this. Sure the 5/8 needs to assume some level of control but he is just one man. I would suggest the captain and forwards need to step up as well, and in the last 10 minutes they were the blokes found wanting. First by giving away a couple of stupid penalties (in the forwards) and then by shoddy goal-line defence and scrum work.

I still would be far from calling BB 'the reason why we didn't win'.

Our forwards botching the most important scrum of the game was arguably the biggest culprit in us losing.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Know its a bit early but I got my 4 box tickets for this one today and hopefull I can take Moses to this game.
I am horribly, dreadfully jealous. I'm wondering if I can scrape together enough cash to fly out there, then pass of these copies as real tickets.

Hopefully it'll be a cracker. The Stormers won't be too worried, I'd think. The past few weeks the Tahs have shown that they can play good rugby, create a spectacle, then quietly let the other team walk away with the points. All the talk from the squad has been the need for 10 points from these games, so you can expect a fair degree of ball-in-hand attack.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That surely would have nothing to do with a the citing commissioner being a Saffer for a SA derby would it? :)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm talking about a knee to the back of someone, that's surely ban worthy but the Stormers have a backrow crisis so..

Status
Not open for further replies.