• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Ashes Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Great day for the boys in nearly every respect. Prising those two wickets out before stumps just capped it off. It'll be a big task getting those remaining eighteen over the next couple of days, but they've at least given themselves a chance. Hopefully the pitch starts to break up a bit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Sigh.

You should really go look up what the word anchor mean in cricket and what it involves.
Since you good at googling stats get me one where Clarke could bat out when in trouble to save a test match. So you can start at 4th innings scores.

Ans Australia batting line up have been anything but stable.

Being part of an unbeatable test team for a large part of his career has meant he never really needed to save a test match in the 4th innings. I'm not sure any batsman has been particularly well known for saving a test match with a large fourth innings score, yes some have done it on one or two occasions but name one who has done it on three or more occasions?

Here's an article from earlier this year that I found in one quick search. Seeing as you ignore statistic perhaps an article will help. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...both-scoring-50s/story-e6frey50-1226589082026

What are you trying to prove here Rassie?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Well I'm back to watching it live again, couldnt stay away given we are doing a bit better its nullified the DRS BS. Kev batting well after a nervy start. Starc bowling a bit of a shitty over aside from that half chance.

(PS Got a bit lucky with the Bressnan dismissal the other day).

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dont know why Lyons Isnt getting some overs. Nice breeze and the quicks aren't looking to threatening.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Michael Holding (one of my fav cricket commentators) "Nothing on hot spot". Like that fucking matters....

(& snicko shows a sound so based on what we've seen thus far of DRS we should have appealed as it would have been out, or not, I don't know anymore).

Good God I just saw Watto chase after the ball, he's not 100%, I could run x2 what he was putting out.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Being part of an unbeatable test team for a large part of his career has meant he never really needed to save a test match in the 4th innings. I'm not sure any batsman has been particularly well known for saving a test match with a large fourth innings score, yes some have done it on one or two occasions but name one who has done it on three or more occasions?

Here's an article from earlier this year that I found in one quick search. Seeing as you ignore statistic perhaps an article will help. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...both-scoring-50s/story-e6frey50-1226589082026

What are you trying to prove here Rassie?
Just a correction from earlier. Tendulkar never batted at no 3 in a test match.
This is Clarke and his averages in different batting positions
Position Inns NO 50s 100s HS Runs Avg
Opening
No. 3 2 0 0 0 25 25 12.50
No. 4 33 1 4 1 187 854 26.69
No. 5 100 9 20 20 *329 5771 63.42
No. 6 21 4 3 3 151 829 48.76
No. 7 2 1 0 0 *39 78 78.00
No. 8 1 0 0 0 7 7 7.00
No. 9
No. 10
No. 11
Overall 159 15 27 24 *329 7564 52.53

His best position isn't even 4th its 5th. The Aussie top order average in the low 30's

This is Shane Watson
Position Inns NO 50s 100s HS Runs Avg
Opening 51 2 15 2 126 2023 41.29
No. 3 8 0 2 0 56 228 28.50
No. 4 7 0 1 0 83 195 27.86
No. 5 1 0 0 0 5 5 5.00
No. 6 7 0 1 0 78 170 24.29
No. 7 6 0 0 0 31 87 14.50
No. 8
No. 9
No. 10
No. 11
Overall 80 2 19 2 126 2708 34.72

No 3 he is. Cowan even worse. Too much pressure on Clarke with a shaky batting line up like that

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nice stats but they already confirmed what we knew once again. I'm sure there is a point to whatever it is you are arguing but I don't really care. Your logic is far too hard to follow and I feel dizzy just reading your posts.

-------

39 runs for ENG to avoid the follow-on. Australia probably won't enforce it even if we get them out before they hit 327. Similar to how the English beat us at Lords I can see us going back in and scoring a quick 100 runs or so then sending them back in on a deteriorating pitch. We are going to need at least a day to bowl them out and knowing English tactics they will sit and defend as usual. Ideally we will clean up the tail in the first session tomorrow then bat after lunch for a session with the most attacking batsman we have (I'd open with Warner and Watson in one-day mode maybe Haddin if Watson needs a rest). Declare and have a go at the Poms in the afternoon to snare a late wicket.

Bowlers will need a decent rest but day 5 is the ideal time for Lyon to show what he is made of.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
God damn England. Why must the weather always attempt to ruin our fun.

Rain clouds are ominous for day 4. With this in mind it is essential that we have the opportunity to enforce the follow-on. Thinking we might not have the time to bat again.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Looking at the KP dismissal there was most definitely a faint but present hot spot & a reading on snicko. Hard done by for mine.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Two walkers. Surprising.

Last wicket now.

We need to wrap the tail up for less than 10 more runs.

Then we need a quick fire 220 runs for 4 declared and put the Poms back in to win the Test.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Four down with a lead of around 260 at the moment. I think we need 50-60 more and that might be enough. Anything over 300 on the last day will be tough to chase (not that I think England would, they don't need to), but the issue is time and the weather. We can't hang about here and thankfully the boys have gotten a move on today.

Status
Not open for further replies.