• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2013 Super Rugby Semi Finals - Chiefs vs Crusaders

The New Zealand entrant to the 2013 Super Rugby Final will be:

• Waikato Chiefs

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Canterbury Crusaders

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If the Chiefs win this game, they are guaranteed home ground advantage for the Final.

If the Crusaders (AKA The Whitelocks and their Friends) win this game, then they are packing their bags for a Final in Canberra or at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria SA.

The Whitelocks with Sir Richie back on board have recently put the Chiefs to the mere and taiaha, and more recently they gave the Reds a good old fashioned stockwhipping. Inbetween these performances, they were unimpressive but victorious against the Hurricanes. They know how to play knockout footy, and 2011 showed that travelling is not an issue for them.

The Chiefs play an exciting brand of footy and are no stranger to knock out pressure finals footy. Their downfall may be their unpredictability and brash confidence.

With National Representatives aplenty from both sides, this will be a good trial for the Lords of Darkness to finalise their TRC team selections.

It is almost the Establishment taking on the New Kids on the Block. As well as the Soup Title, there are black jumpers on the line across the park.

Edit: Geographic errors amended - thx rugbyskier.

Super Rugby Semi-Final (Match D)
Match No.123/125: Chiefs v Crusaders
Date : Saturday 27 July, 2013
Venue : Waikato Stadium, Hamilton, New Zealand
Kick Off local: (1935 local, 1735 NSW/ACT, 0935 SAT, 0735 GMT)
Referee: Steve Walsh
Assistant Ref 1:Glen Jackson
Assistant Ref 2:Chris Pollock
TMO : Glenn Newman

Edit: Thanx RoffsChoice

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Tough one to pick.....

The Crusaders looked bloody good on the weekend but the Chiefs have some awesome x-factor and un-predictability.

The Crusaders forward just looks too good though so I've gone with the Crusaders.

Plus - I can't bear another year of listening to my Chiefs-supporting-cousins go on another year about how they're the champions!!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Just a pedantic correction Hugh, having gone there for a Bulls v Brumbies game in previous years, Loftus Versfeld is in Pretoria not Johannesburg.

BTW, love the new nickname for the Crusaders 'the Whitelocks and Friends'

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Thanks rugbyskier. Not the first geographic embarrassment for old Hugh and I can guarantee it won't be the last.

It is Ellis Park in JoBurg, not Loftus V. Apols to all my Saffer buddies.

Chiefton

Herbert Moran (7)
Exceedingly nervous and excited about this one. The word out of the home camp is that things are settled and everyone is focused.

The game I feel will be won in the tight 5 and in/around the ruck and in turn the boots of Carter and Anscombe/Cruden will play a large part, but with both sides having talented backs it could go that way as well.

A tight encounter that I hope will answer questions about AB jerseys.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Crusaders are hitting some crazy form - gotta go Cruasders by 8-10 - but will be happy either way - aslong as a NZ team wins the comp.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Chiefs have shown they have the dominant defence to upset the Whitelocks and the threat to score points

It will be a great game

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the keys for the Chiefs will be TKB and Cruden. Last time round they missed Messam, he will bring a bit of steel to what has been a very solid defence this year.

TKB and Cruden will be given a decent platform to work off. If TKB mucks around with it or Cruden doesn't attack the line (where he's most dangerous) then I can't see the other Chiefs back creating enough opportunities. They have very good TO ball counter options in Horrell, Tikorotuma and TNW, but it could be long night if they're waiting for those opportunities and not creating much else.

Against the Reds the Crusaders played an umptempto, don't die with the ball attacking game. We had mixed fortunes in the 1st half with some brilliant play but errors. I think we'll see less of the 50/50 plays against the Chiefs and more pick and go. With Read, Sam Whitelock, Todd and Crockett all very good in securing our own ball, the Chiefs will push the envelope at the breakdown to try and disrupt that.

With Aussie Steve reffing I predict plenty of whistle, plenty of talk and plenty of niggle.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
All I can say is I hope they beat seven shades of shit out of each other, the Crusaders win, and drag a load of battered bodies to Pretoria.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
This is going to be a brutal game.
Crusaders are a better side, but the Chiefs have it in them to upset them - especially with home advantage.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I feel exactly the same as I did before the Saders/Reds game. We've been playing very well which gives me confidence but just like the Reds the Chiefs can be mighty unpredictable which is a concern. Chiefs most definitely have a fair shot at victory this arvo but I'm hoping for a repeat of what we served up to the Reds.

Go Saders!

And I forgot to mention RIP Willie (very tragic). For those that don't know here is an article about him.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/local-news/north-shore-times/8957089/Takapuna-Rugby-Player-Dies

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great start by the Chiefs in the first few minutes but no points to show for it. Tap was the wrong decision and nothing came of it. Saders coming back into it but didn't need as much effort for their first 3 pointer. Those stupid cow bells, during the kicks, might make me switch allegiance to the Saders by half time.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Worst crowd ever, booing & rattling everyone & everything :rolleyes:

(the eyeroll emoticon really doesn't quite do it like the fishing one)

Chiefs have turned up to play, their line-out is a bit dodge. My guys look alright when we have the pill though.

Chiefs pinged for offside at the ruck.

Status
Not open for further replies.