• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 – ITM CUP - NZ's 3rd Tier Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Doesn't surprise me Gwerty, whole trip up north smacked of retirement pension, and Cowan doesn't have to be far off his game to be pretty bloody average!!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Fairfax have Robbie Fruen signing for Hawkes Bay, he & they reckon he's over his heart problems & good to go. Hope they're right & he gets through a full season then Super Rugby next year so he's at least pushing for a RWC spot - don't want anyone feeling too comfortable about their place in the side, nor a certain current Loig/ once-&-future union player thinking he can just rock up to a coupla trainings & hop on the plane.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Whatever happens on-field, things are looking pretty good off it:

https://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/24660031/rugby-unions-achieve-over-3m-surplus/

Great turnaround considering several Unions were in the shite not too long ago. Also vindication for the 9 non-Super Rugby provinces who stood together when NZRU wanted yo cut the comp back to 12 & eventually 10 teams.

On another note it occurs to me that not even the all-conquering Auckland sides of the '80s & early '90s managed more than 4 consecutive titles, Canterbury will be going for 7 this year.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
That is bloody good result financial wise Waiopehu. A lot of people wrote of comp with the format, but I think it works well, and I like the fact that teams are playing promotion relegation comp, adds extra dimension to comp.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ yeah! I probably should've also given the NZRU some credit for having the balls to say "OK, you wanna 14 team comp you got it BUT..." & proceeding to impose the salary cap, min/max player payments & forcing each & every Union to get their finances & governance in order, esp the requirement for a properly appointed & accountable CEO & CFO rather than the ad hoc/ old boys network structures many Unions previously had in place. Not often I say well done the suits, but in this case well done the suits.

Looking forward to next Thursday big time.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Did Byron McGuigan get a contract for Bay of Plenty, or has his downward spiral from ordinary to shit continued?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Did Byron McGuigan get a contract for Bay of Plenty, or has his downward spiral from ordinary to shit continued?

Based on his twitter feed.......

"Looking forward to my first cap tomorrow for the @BaySteamers against Counties. Looking forward to playing 15. @dizTroy_ your team counties
7:09pm - 6 Aug 14

"@tanaumaga awesome playing against your side today,well done and Goodluck for the season. #childhoodhero
9:39pm - 7 Aug 14"

...... The former, it would appear.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Geez just reading the preseason results etc of ITM cup games, funny this time if year is the time I get closest to selling up and going home (I love the whole ITM cup comp)!! Actually was back in the home town last weekend and enjoyed sitting down and watching highlights package of the club finals from around the country on Heartland rugby, and that included the Nua final to Waiopehu. Mrs came back a few days after me and said the whole Pram/Shannon final was played on local free to air channel.
How the hell can we transfer that mentality to Aus TV chaneels fellas??:(

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
With the NRC on this year, it is unlikely that any aspiring Australian players have crossed the ditch to play in ITM Cup.

Have any of the NZers playing superugby over here returned for the ITM Cup? If so who and for what teams?

Thursday night will be a big rugby night with an ITM Cup game followed by a NRC game on Foxtel, then The Rugby Club to preview the international games for the weekend.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geez just reading the preseason results etc of ITM cup games, funny this time if year is the time I get closest to selling up and going home (I love the whole ITM cup comp)!! Actually was back in the home town last weekend and enjoyed sitting down and watching highlights package of the club finals from around the country on Heartland rugby, and that included the Nua final to Waiopehu. Mrs came back a few days after me and said the whole Pram/Shannon final was played on local free to air channel.
How the hell can we transfer that mentality to Aus TV chaneels fellas??:(

Trying to think of the last time P'ram won the comp & think it must've been a while? Good to see Shannon are still around, I can remember them having to forfeit a coupla games 10-12 years ago as they couldn't find enough players.

I'm heading "home" to HamNZ Tuesday night for 2 weeks, hoping to sneak down to Levin next Saturday but will have to play that one by ear. Either way I'll be All Blacked up for Bledisloe1, even though kickoff won't be 'til 10ish.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have a good time there mate. Pram have actually been top team or thereabouts the last 4-5 years now, as have Waikanae, a bit of money down that way? Shannon will susvive, I know they only got a population of 1500 or so, but they got a few farm boys to rope in. Interesting that COB in Palmy that won Manawatu comp had 6 boys from Levin(one was my nephew), I think 3-4 of them are in Manawatu development team, pity as the Mighty Nua could do with them.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have a good time there mate. Pram have actually been top team or thereabouts the last 4-5 years now, as have Waikanae, a bit of money down that way? Shannon will susvive, I know they only got a population of 1500 or so, but they got a few farm boys to rope in. Interesting that COB in Palmy that won Manawatu comp had 6 boys from Levin(one was my nephew), I think 3-4 of them are in Manawatu development team, pity as the Mighty Nua could do with them.

Shows how long I've been away, last GF I went to was Toa v either COB or Wanderers & back then P'ram had a pretty decent Senior Reserve team but that was about it. I guess that the population growth in those parts being mostly in the Kapiti half of Horo-Kap has something to do with it.

If everything goes according to plan Friday night drinks are at Sel's followed by O'Malley's & obviously the Cossie for the Bledisloe.

And, yes, your nephew & his mates need to wake up to the reality that the road to greatness goes nowhere near P-town. Unless your name is Christian Cullen & your parents run the best pub in Paekak.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
If everything goes according to plan Friday night drinks are at Sel's followed by O'Malley's & obviously the Cossie for the Bledisloe.

Mate just to let you know the I am playing through champ of No 5 pool table at the Cossie(from 2 weeks ago). I see they have built a little stand in front of the big screen, so will be good viewing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.