• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Women's Rugby World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
The ladies are playing fantastic rugby and deserve their own thread.

I missed the Oz v Wales game but I have it on record tomorrow. By all accounts it was an awesome game.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Thanks for the thread Sully it's much appreciated. Hopefully we can create some interest in the site and maybe attract some of the women's rugby community to G&GR.

Are there any official facebook, twitter accounts for Women's rugby is Aus that could maybe be engaged by G&GR to expand our community and bring in some much needed expertise on the women's game?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Some of our Gaggerlanders aligned to the Mighty Two Blues may be able to provide some inside goss from within the Wallaroos Tent.

IIRC there are a couple of M2B players in the Wallaroos.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm no expert on Women's Rugby (nor Rugby full stop for that matter) by any stretch of the imagination but I'm a passionate fan of all forms of the game at an elite level. So here's some information on the next round of the Women's Rugby World Cup.

The next match day is 9th August 2014 and the match schedule is as follows:

13:00 Ireland v Kazakhstan (Pool B)

Having won their first two games against the USA and New Zealand, Ireland just need a win to clinch a semi final spot. Kazakhstan are playing for pride having suffered heavy defeats in their opening two games.

15:00 Spain v Samoa (Pool A)

Both teams were on the wrong end of one sided affairs against both England and Canada so far in their pool. With this their final pool game of the tournament both teams will be looking for their first win of the tournament.

15:45 England v Canada (Pool A)

The two heavy weights clash in the decisive final game of Pool A. The winners are likely to be number 1 seeds for the semi final while the losers will hope to at least claim a bonus point to boost their chances of making the Semis as fourth seeds. It's possible these teams could meet again in the semi finals. Should be one of the games of the tournament so far.

17:00 Wales v South Africa (Pool C)

Both teams prop up the Pool C table and are not only win-less but also try-less going into this one. Should be an evenly matched contest with the winners in with a shout of sneaking into the 5th-8th place play-offs.

18:00 New Zealand v USA (Pool B)

This clash looked pretty tasty before the tournament got under way with 4 times champions the Black Ferns facing off against the Inaugural world champions. Extra spice has been added thanks to Ireland's 17-14 win against New Zealand.

With both teams locked on 6 points it's a straight shoot out for second place in the pool and possible advancement to the semi-finals. New Zealand will still be favourites to win but expect USA to give it a real go, inspired by the feat of the Irish women. The winners will likely need a bonus point and other results to go their way to advance as fourth seeds.

20:45 France v Australia (Pool C)

The final game of the day sees hosts France square off against the Wallaroos to decide the pool winners. With the close to 1.5 million TV viewer for France's game on Tuesday against South Africa, this top of the table clash is expected to attract huge interest.

The winners are likely to set up a semi final clash with Ireland (France are still in with a shot of claiming top seed though). It's a fitting fixture to round off what should be an exciting and entertaining day of rugby action.

All kick-offs are in local time (France) and you can see the fixture list as well as results so far at:

http://www.rwcwomens.com/home/results/index.html

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Where to watch the games:

If you're in the UK or Ireland Sky Sports are covering the many of the games.

11:50am - 2:00pm Sky Sports 3

2:30pm - 5:00pm Sky Sports 1

7:30pm - 9:30pm Sky Sport 1

9:30pm-10:00pm Sky Sports 1- Highlights show

It doesn't give details yet of which matches will be shown but it's likely to cover Ireland v Kazakhstan, England v Canada and France v Australia. Other games may be available via the red button.

In addition Irish language FTA station TG4 is showing Ireland's game v Kazakhstan.

I'm not an Aussie or in Aus so I don't know if Sky's sister company Fox Sports are also covering it. Maybe someone can post up the where to watch from Australia.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just had a quick look and didn't go past this: France v Australia live on FS501 7.35pm this coming Saturday evening!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I saw a re-tweet from Johnnie Hammond at Sky saying "Nearly 1.5 million watched FRA v SA @irbwomens #WRWC2014 last night, on French tv alone. Finally women's game getting exposure it deserves."

That is a great effort. Nice to see the traditional version getting the attention it deserves.

I liked this tweet from Brian O'Driscoll also congratulating the women's team on their win - "Fantastic win from the Irish women's rugby team yesterday. Showing the men the way to do it!"

Highlights below of the England V Samoa game, go to 0:23 to see one hell of an illegal tackle. The blind side winger for England has some serious toe too.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Are there any official facebook, twitter accounts for Women's rugby is Aus that could maybe be engaged by G&GR to expand our community and bring in some much needed expertise on the women's game?

The Wallaroos twitter account is pretty active.

I've also tweeted Oneata Schwalger the LHP and Sharni Williams the 13 and both have been good with replies. They appreciate the support.

I've been so impressed by Sharni Williams defence. Her tackling has been superb in both games and she's grabbed a try in each game.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Can someone please post how the format works and what the Wallaroos must do to qualify for the semis? Thanks in advance.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can someone please post how the format works and what the Wallaroos must do to qualify for the semis? Thanks in advance.

It's a 12 team tournament split into 3 pools. The 3 pool winners and the best 2nd placed team will qualify for the semi finals.

The Wallaroos currently have 8 points and sit 2nd in Pool C behind hosts France (10 points).

Qualification for them is pretty simple. They must beat France to make the semis.

There is a more complicated and rather unlikely draw with 4 tries possibility of qualifying as the best 2nd place, but that would rely on other results going their way. Not very likely scenario to come about, but it would be a cracking game to watch if it did.

If Aus do beat France and win their pool that will most likely play Ireland in the semi finals in the 2ndv3rd seed semi final with the winner of Pool A (England or Canada) claiming the number 1 seeds.

lemoen

Ted Fahey (11)
I've only watched the Aussie games, it has been fun. Hopefully their Saturday game dont clash with the Currie Cup

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
And the England no.6 must be the first bald headed women's player I've ever seen!

That would be Fisher, she has a condition. Explanation below.

Female England rugby star suffers from alopecia

Posted on September 9, 2010 by
It is very common to see men of all ages losing their hair and it has become an accepted part of society that in some stage in life, men are going to lose their hair. However, it is not common to see women who are suffering with hair loss. However, you might be surprised to hear that there are more women suffering with hair loss than you first thought.
More and more women are suffering with hair loss as a result of cancer treatment, conditions such as alopecia and telogen effluvium. In order to find out why they are losing their hair, women do tend to seek medical help in order to ensure that there isn’t anything more seriously wrong that could have resulted in their hair loss.
A woman that you might have seen recently in the press is Heather Fisher. Fisher, who plays on the England women’s rugby union team, has suffered from a severe form of alopecia for a number of years however she has continued to perform at her best for her country in defiance of her condition. Heather has been told that her condition relates to stress, however this has not affected her game and continue to go from strength to strength.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a 12 team tournament split into 3 pools. The 3 pool winners and the best 2nd placed team will qualify for the semi finals.

The Wallaroos currently have 8 points and sit 2nd in Pool C behind hosts France (10 points).

Qualification for them is pretty simple. They must beat France to make the semis.

There is a more complicated and rather unlikely draw with 4 tries possibility of qualifying as the best 2nd place, but that would rely on other results going their way. Not very likely scenario to come about, but it would be a cracking game to watch if it did.

If Aus do beat France and win their pool that will most likely play Ireland in the semi finals in the 2ndv3rd seed semi final with the winner of Pool A (England or Canada) claiming the number 1 seeds.

many thanks. one more small question re the "best 2nd placed team". is that the second-placed team with the highest competition points, best points difference, or ? i am guessing it is highest competition points - if not, bonus points would be only useful for tie-breaking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
many thanks. one more small question re the "best 2nd placed team". is that the second-placed team with the highest competition points, best points difference, or ? i am guessing it is highest competition points - if not, bonus points would be only useful for tie-breaking.

Yes, most competition points. Points difference is the tie-breaker I think, then probably most tries.

Same format as the Junior World Cup.

Will Scully

Frank Row (1)
The Wallaroos twitter account is pretty active.

I've also tweeted Oneata Schwalger the LHP and Sharni Williams the 13 and both have been good with replies. They appreciate the support.

I've been so impressed by Sharni Williams defence. Her tackling has been superb in both games and she's grabbed a try in each game.

Also, Mollie Gray is on Twitter, and is extremely active with team re-tweets and the such.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Wallaroos game against France is at 4:45am Sunday morning Sydney time.

It is on Foxsports 1(HD) though.

Ah, just rechecked, my laptop is still on UK time, so it automatically resets the time shown on in the foxsports tv guide! (i.e. 9 hours behind)

Guess the actual match is on at 8.35pm France time, not 11.35am after all!

Duh me!

Status
Not open for further replies.