• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 Women's Rugby World Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SevensPhD

Chris McKivat (8)
Ireland prepared extremely well for this tournament. While AUS and NZ have heavily focused on 7s, the Irish actually pulled back the 7s (they are a core team on the womens series) to have the top girls train exclusively for 15s. It paid dividends with the win over NZ. They are my bet to face France in the final, and that final could go either way. The french a big and skilled!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bring the Women's RWC to Oz! I reckon it would do well if the Wallaroos had a good run. Maybe not 3% of the population, but it would cut through and would be a great way to encourage more girls and women to play and/or support rugby.

D

daz

I am trying to find some positives post-tournament for the Wallaroo's, but I must admit, after 2 fantastic games against SA and Wales, I was extremely disappointed to see them go out in the quarters without really firing a shot against France.

They are a better team than that and hopefully they will go on to bigger and better things in the future.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I thought they were great for 30 minutes and then ran out of ideas. The team should be very proud of their efforts.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Wallaroos were definitely more competitive in the first half. The penalty try was a big swing in the game. As I said in my summary I didn't think it was warranted as it's a big stretch in that scenario to say a try would definitely have been scored.

I think it did warrant a 2nd yellow card though and with the Wallaroos down to 13 France probably would have gotten their try before half time anyway.

France have been the form team in the NH this year and to run them close for so long is a testament to the Aussies. They didn't offer much going forward in the second half and when they did try to spread it there were too many errors. However you can't expect a team to play next to no games in 4 years and just turn up and deliver against the world's best.

I've said it before with some focus and support the Wallaroos squad would be real contenders at the next WRWC. I don't doubt that the main focus will be 7s for Rio, but some work on organisation and some more warm up games and they could make a real impact at 15s in 4 years.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
00:22 seconds in.

I was under the impression that, in Maoridom, women did not do the haka, nor speak on the marae, although there is one tribe where this happens - the people from the Whale Rider movie IIRC. Something about the women of that tribe saving all the tribes canoes when the men were away somewhere.

Has anyone got any insight into how this works for the NZ Women's Rugby Team?

I particularly like the response of the opposition to the Haka. Stand there and clap the performance.

Maybe the Wobs should try that on Saturday night. "The Call of the Wallaby" made a big deal about the response to the haka in Episode 5.

D

daz

I particularly like the response of the opposition to the Haka. Stand there and clap the performance.

I thought the way the French responded in the RWC11 final was sublime and had me shouting my appreciation at the tv.

Holding hands and advancing in arrow formation, right up in the Kiwi's faces. The IRB fine be damned.

Failing that, how about each opposition player pulling out a paintball gun and blasting the Kiwi's mid-Haka?

;)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Welsh standing there for two minutes in 2008 or whichever year was awesome.

The Wallabies should try that I think.

I don't think we have the French flair and theatrics to pull off the Mighty Ducks Flying V from the World Cup Final.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Not sure of the history of the women's haka and I'd love to hear about it from anyone that knows. Although it doesn't have the intensity of those performed by the men it has a rhythm and fluidity that makes it stand out as unique in my eyes.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Getting excited now that it's semi finals day. Anyone want to try to predict the finalists?

In the first semi final my head says England will just have that little bit too much for Ireland, but my heart says Ireland to keep the dream alive. So screw-it I'm going with my heart.

Ireland to win.

In the second semi the best team in the world this year (France) are playing on home soil so it's hard to see beyond them against Canada. I think France will win, but I'm going to be shouting my head off for Canada.

France to win.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
As far as I can tell only the semi finals are being televised here in Ireland and the UK. Going to have to check behind the red button from about 1pm to see if I can see any of the other playoffs.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not sure of the history of the women's haka and I'd love to hear about it from anyone that knows. Although it doesn't have the intensity of those performed by the men it has a rhythm and fluidity that makes it stand out as unique in my eyes.

Wikipedia says this about the gender of Haka performers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haka
Most haka are performed by men, with the female role, if any, limited to providing support by singing in the background. There are however some haka which are performed predominantly by women – one of the most well-known being the Ngāti Porou haka "Ka Panapana".

Perhaps one of our NZ based Gaggerlanders may tell us more. Seemingly the Haka is not solely a war dance.

Haka are not exclusively war dances but were traditionally performed by men. In modern times, various haka have been composed to be performed by women and even children. Haka are performed for various reasons: for amusement, as a hearty welcome to distinguished guests, or to acknowledge great achievements, occasions or funerals.
War haka (peruperu) were originally performed by warriors before a battle, proclaiming their strength and prowess in order to intimidate the opposition. Today, haka constitute an integral part of formal or official welcome ceremonies for distinguished visitors or foreign dignitaries, serving to impart a sense of the importance of the occasion.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HALF TIME England 18 Ireland 7

England opened very physically and had Ireland on the back foot for the first five minutes. Ireland defended well as England looked to exploit space out wide.

Ireland managed to repel them and that sparked an period of Irish dominance that ended with the opening try. Ireland pressured the England line and when a kickable penalty was awarded they turned down the points and kicked to the corner.

Ireland caught and drove the lineout over the tryline. The ref went upstairs asking for any reason not to award a try. No reason was apparent and the try was awarded. Briggs added the extras 7-0 Ireland as the first quarter came to a close.

England were stung by that and pressed the Irish back again. 5 minutes of pressure resulted in Clark scoring a try as England pounded the Irish line. Scarratt missed the conversion but England were back in touch at 7-5.

With 10 minutes to go England took advantage of their scrum dominance. They drove Ireland off their own ball and won a penalty in the Irish half. Scarratt was successful from the tee to make it 8-7 England.

From the restart Ireland kicked too long resulting in a scrum back to England. Ireland paid dearly for that as England attacked off the scrum. A superb busting run from Scarratt stretched the Irish defence. England then spread it to the other wing where Merchant was strong to finish in the corner. Scarratt added a tough conversion from the sideline to make it 15-7 and England in control.

Ireland needed to respond. They put in a great effort to win a penalty in England half. Briggs decided to go up the line but miss kicked and the ball went dead. Ireland needed the half time whistle to regroup.

On the stroke of half time Scarratt added another 3 points from the tee 18-7 the half time score.

Both teams played with a lot of ambition looking to release their backs at every opportunity. If England can get the ball wide quicker there's space for them to exploit in the second half, as evidenced by Merchants try. Scarratt has been guilty of not spotting the opportunity outside her on a couple of occasions early on but has been devastating as the half progressed.

In the set piece England have had the nudge in the scrum while the Ireland 8s effort have been patchy. In the lineout Ireland have been on top, nicking a few on England's throw.

Ireland will need to take every chance they get in the second half and cut out the errors if they are to get back into this one. The England coaches will probably be asking for more of the same to see them into the final.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FINAL SCORE ENGLAND 40 IRELAND 7

England picked up where they left off at the start of the 2nd half. Pressure in the Irish 22 resulting in another 3 point from Scarratt's boot 21-7 England and some real daylight between the teams.

Ireland made a couple of early changes in the second half to try to get some get some momentum in their game. Byrne made an impact in the midfield with some heavy hits in the tackle.

Still England looked to press their advantage. With total dominance in the scrum they began to use it as a weapon. They set up for a push over try but poor control at the back meant they had to spin it out. They still managed to score with Wilson squeezing in, in the corner. The extras were missed from the touchline 26-7 with 20 to go.

At this point it became about pride for Ireland and not going out with a whimper. Again Byrne was involved in giving Ireland a lift knocking Alphonsy on her backside. Ireland won a penalty and went for the corner. For once Ireland's lineout malfunctioned and England turned defence into attack threatening the Irish line.

With 15 minutes to go England rung the changes with one eye on the final. Ireland were still putting their bodies on the line and defending with everything they had. But they were offering very little in attack.

There then followed a stop start period with a couple of injuries as the game started to wind down.

England weren't finished though and went kept the pressure from Ireland with Packer driving through the Ireland defence to score another try for England. Large tagged on the extras, much to her own surprise, to make it 33-7.

With 5 minutes to go Packer then dove on a lose ball to score under the posts. Large had an easier kick to add the extra 2. 40-7 to England as Ireland's heads dropped.

The game ended with Ireland looking for a consolation try and England determined not to concede again. In the end determination won out and the final score was 40-7 England.

England's pack delivered a great platform for their excellent backs to show the world what they can do and Ireland just couldn't compete.

Ireland's dream is over but it continues for the English Roses who will be full of confidence going into their 4th consecutive final. This time New Zealand won't be their opposition and that will give them great confidence.

Ireland may be a little disappointed not to make more of a game of it but their exploits at this world cup have inspired a generation, not only back home but throughout the minnows of Women's rugby. They should keep their heads high and be proud of what they've achieved.

Whoever wins the other semi final England are going to be tough opposition in the final. They look back to the dominant form they showed a few years ago.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HALF TIME: FRANCE 6 CANADA 6

Right from the anthems I felt this one was going to be special with the sell out crowd creating a fantastic atmosphere. Both teams looked really fired up.

Canada looked a little nervous in the opening couple of minutes. An overthrow in the lineout was quickly followed by a knock-on under no pressure. Getting a big nudge over the French pack on the resulting scrum seemed to settle some Canadian nerves.

France started at 100 miles an hour. Cheered on by the huge crowd they pressed into the Canadian 22. Their pack securing quick ball which they used to stretch the Canadian defence. The pressure told with a penalty awarded, Agricole slotted it from a difficult angle to make it 3-0 after 5 minutes.

Canada haven't come here to make up the numbers in a French procession. Immediately after conceding they pressed into the French half with Harvey looking bright. France managed to force a penalty but Canada had signaled their intent.

The cheer when Agricole put in a monster hit in midfield is a testament to how much the popularity of the women's game has been boosted by this tournament. It's quality competitive rugby and the rugby fanatics are loving it.

Canada have had the better of the scrums making it difficult for the French on their put in. France have looked comfortable in the lineout and have had some good drives.

When the Canadian put through a good kick in behind the French fullback their excellent chase ensure that France couldn't clear and they forced a penalty from the resulting scrum.

The Canucks decided to kick into the corner which looked a mistake when they couldn't get the throw straight. All wasn't lost though as Canada pressurised the French scrum and got another chance from the lineout. The French managed to keep the Canadians out, but replays suggested it wasn't all legal.

Intervention from the TMO resulted in a yellow card for French winger Ladagnous receiving a yellow card for a tip tackle. It's a decision that will be debated if France lose. Harvey slotted the penalty to tie it up at 3-3 coming up to 30 gone.

Down to 14 and perhaps fired up by a sense of injustice France went on the attack. Pressure in the Canadian 22 lead to a penalty, Agricole obliged to make it 6-3.

Canada's handling them let them down when they had plenty of space and just had to put the ball through the hands. With the game so close it's a mistake that may come back to haunt them.

Canada lost influential scrumhalf Brenier to what looked like a serious injury just before half time.

Just back on the field from her sin binning Ladagnous gave away another penalty for a shoulder charge on Harvey as she kicked clear. An error from the touch judge saw the penalty awarded from where the ball stopped rather than where it landed. This made it kickable and Harvey squared the game up on the stroke of half time.

Restored to 15 and leading 6-3 approaching half time France would have been confident of going on to clinch a final spot. Now they won't be so sure. The Canuck's will be happy to be still in with a chance having weathered a strong start from France.

The Canadian backs have looked very lively and attacked at every opportunity but they haven't looked after the ball when the moves have broken down. They're in it on the scoreboard but they need to lift their performance if they're going to cause an upset.

I expect France to start the second 40 the way they did the first and try to blow the Canucks away. Canada may have to try to hang on and then work themselves into a winning position.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
FINAL SCORE: FRANCE 16 CANADA 18

It was Canada who made the big start to the second half. Alarie who was very impressive at fullback switched, to scrumhalf due to the injury to Brenier, this brought her closer to the action and paid dividends as she spotted a gap and went through it to go over for a try within a minute of the restart. Harvey missed the conversion but Canada lead 11-6.

From the restart France tried to pinning Canada on their own line. From a 5 metre scrum Canada decided to spin the ball wide. They put it through the hands and found Harvey who put the after burners on to score a length of the field try in the corner. She then converted to make it 18-6.

Less than 5 minutes of the second half gone and Canada had scored 2 tries. Incidentally the first two tries France have conceded all tournament.

France were now hanging on as Canada pushed for more tries.

As we approached the end of the 3rd quarter France began to steady the ship. They made good ground through well organised mauls but their backs couldn't take advantage of the platform.

Canada seem to retreat a little and become more cautious as they now had something to defend. This allowed France to come back into the game and establish some territory.

France then went to their maul. Driving a lineout from outside the 22 to within 5 metres and forcing a penalty for collapsing. France went to the corner and drove over as allez le bleu rung out around the ground. Agricole missed the conversion but France were back in the hunt at 18-11 and 12 minutes to go.

Ladagnous then got the crowd going, first taking a mark and then running it deep into the opposition half. France didn't make the most of the break as the squandered a big overlap.

Still the crowd were up and France were hunting down Canada. Again the Canuck's were hanging on with 9 minutes to go. They were finding it difficult to get out of their own half.

At this point both teams were contesting the ruck with even greater gusto. It was just the ball they were trying to get their hands on but the place in the final.

France then did something that was unthinkable in the first half. They forced the Canadian 8 back in a scrum and won a penalty. The French kicked up the line deep into the 22 and went to the more familiar catch and drive.

Canada collapsed the maul and Kirby was sent to the bin. Again the French went to the corner. This time they weren't to be denied as the rumbled over. Agricore pulled the conversion and Canada were hanging on by their finger nails at 18-16 with 2 minutes left and down to 14.

With the clock in the red Canada forced the ball out and the ref blew time. Canada into their first World Cup final and a replay of the excellent game against England on the cards.

France will play Ireland in the 3rd/4th place play off.

This was a fantastic game of rugby full of passion, intensity, physicality and no little skill. Women's rugby is the fastest growing team sport in the world and you just have to look at games like this to see why.

Status
Not open for further replies.