• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I've been told that Norths Colts were asked to play Jack at 10, rather than 15 (where he was playing at the time) by the NSW u20s coach, as he was apparently impressed with him and has earmarked him for 2015 and beyond. This can only bode well for his Aus u20s chances.

Likewise, his twin Nick has been playing extremely well at fullback for Norths colts (and has put on a lot of size since leaving school).

As these two have both 2015 and 2016 in the u20s mix, I'm sure that we'll see them playing for Aus at some stage, whether it be this year or the next.

Like the thought of twins playing 10 and 15:).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is there a team list for the 2014 NSW Waratahs Colts?

If you mean the team that played against the Emerging Rays players as the curtain-raiser to the NRC match, it was:

1. G. Fatoa (Penrith) Easts
2. J. Wilkinson (Randwick) *
3. C. Orr (Gordon)**
4. J. Anderson (Norths)
5. L. Lealaiauloco-Tui (Eastwood) *
6. N. Kellaway (Norths)
7. W. Cronan (Parra)
8. R. Warren-Vasoyco
9. B. Wicker (Manly)
10. C. Tulloch (Randwick)
11. B. Hafoka (Souths)
12. D. Stolz (Eastwood)
13. S. Tabuatamata (Wests)
14. M. Crafts (Gordon)
15. A. Newsome (Parra)

16. J. McLean (Norths), 17. M. Hooper (Easts), 18. N. Koutsakis (Randwick), 19. Tanu Atiu (Wests), 20. Adam de Santas (Eastwood), 21. Tevita Makasene (Easts), 22. M. Arnold (Manly), 23. B. O'Donnell (Randwick), 24. J. Redden (Uni), 25. C. Yassman (Uni).

I reckon these are all Under 20's for next year (and of course are Under 19 now though a couple are still at school and are Under 18)

* Under 18s (there may be others)
** Aus U 20s 2014

Obviously these don't include U/19 players such as A. Kellaway or H. Jones who are engaged in the NRC squads.

And expect to see more Under 18s added to the squad when they have finished their exams.

There will be questions why this lad and that isn't in there and the answer will be: I don't know.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Reposted from the Schoolboys 2014 thread
Do we know who is in the NSW U20s training squad?

The list is not published anywhere to the best of my knowledge, and this is probably not the right thread to discuss in detail.

I'd expect all those from last year's U20 Team who were Under 19 then will be in there, as well as last years school leavers who attended 2014 trials but were not selected in the state team (most but not all of these would have been at 2013 National Schoolboys), and finally, as works in progress, there will most likely be the successful graduates from the Waratah U18 development squad (the Koala Club) along with some bolters from those at 2014 National Schoolboys tournament .

If Rappy (NSW U20 Head Coach) stays on message, there will also be an invitation sent out to all clubs asking them to send anyone they think are worthy enough to join the training and selection process.

They will start with a very large squad (50-60) and gradually whittle that down to the 23 needed for the National U20 Tournament which I hear will again be in Canberra and held from March 20 - 25 2014.

I'd expect serious training to start in November-ish after School and Uni exams but they probably already have some form of informal squad sessions underway.

QLD, ACT and WA are probably doing something similar.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The list is not published anywhere to the best of my knowledge, and this is probably not the right thread to discuss in detail.

There was no published list either last year at this time; just the odd list of teams that played in trial games early in 2014 though come to think of it: I may have got them at the ground. Players came and went at this time of the year.

The Waratahs have already put an Under 19s team on the park as an NRC curtain-raiser at Brookvale - and a precursor for next year. They played an Emerging Rays team.

Most of them were Colts but there were a couple of current schoolboys not connected with the big rugby schools.

One hopes that becomes a regular practice in future years in Sydney NRC games - and ditto for elsewhere.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This year's NSW U/20 selections adopted a back to the future sought of approach IMO; and quite frankly, a breath of fresh air! NSWRU wanted an U/20 team that would deliver, and deliver it did!

Many, many moons ago my 'better half's' cousin was selected, in what was then, the NSW Colts (aka U/21's)! It was always my understanding that he 'the Cousin' was not originally on the radar of NSW selectors, however he was informally put forward under a strong recommendation from his then club coach.

What was even more remarkable was this 'Cousin' went on to play for the Oz Colts for two years and even had a brief stint in the Oz sevens team. But for his coach maybe this 'Cousin' might not have been spotted (maybe he would of - its all suppossition), however the point I am trying to make is this!

NSWRU has ultimately put its faith in NSW colts coaches, people who know their respective charges better than any selector, and for mine it seems to have worked!
^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said Newbie.

NSW is doing something right in this area and the catalyst is the Aussie Under 20s championships. No doubt others are doing what NSW does.

With the scouting of Kellaher, the engine of Cheika and the later appoinment of NSW U20 coach Rapp, who is at at lot of schools' games, including the Waratahs Cup and Shield, there's a good coverage and good assessment of young players for the NSW team.

The trick is to get more young players in Colts - and if they get there, the new system, driven by the goal of the Under 20s nationals, should work as well as any system can (in this country at least) with the resources available.

But as HJ indicated - this should be discussed in the 2015 Under 20's thread.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Long way out, but the Rebels have named a Preliminary 30 man squad for training in the lead up to the Southern States U20s. Includes the 3 Schoolboys from the NZ tour:

Ah-mu Tuimalealiifano - Northern
Alex Fowles - Moorabbin
Andrew Barber- Moorabbin
Antonie Van Zyl- Harlequins
Bill Valetini - Harlequin
Billy Gray - Brighton Grammar
Callum Lyall - TBC
Christopher Ward - Melbourne Uni
Fereti Sa’aga - Melbourne Uni
George Stewart - Melbourne Uni
Graig Semisi - St Kevin’s College
Ikapote Tupai - Endeavour Hills
Isi Tevi -TBC
Jade Murray - Moorabbin
James Stewart - TBC
Jarom Halo - Melbourne Uni
Lorenzo Fiu - Power House
Lucas Cousin - TBC
Mark Higginson - Moorabbin
Matt Euese - Moorabbin
Oscar Bridgford - Harlequin
Patolo Toeta - Moorabbin
RJ Sa'aga - Melbourne Grammar/Northern
Samuel Brown - Melbourne Uni
SJ Tamala - Endeavour Hills
Sione Tuipulotu - St Kevin’s College/Southern Districts
Tangaroa-Ariki Hosea - Harlequins
Tom Blake - Marcellin College
Tyrone Tusitala - Southern Districts
William Coten - St Kevin’s College

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If you mean the team that played against the Emerging Rays players as the curtain-raiser to the NRC match, it was:

1. G. Fatoa (Penrith) Easts
2. J. Wilkinson (Randwick) *
3. C. Orr (Gordon)**
4. J. Anderson (Norths)
5. L. Lealaiauloco-Tui (Eastwood) *
6. N. Kellaway (Norths)
7. W. Cronan (Parra)
8. R. Warren-Vasoyco (Souths)
9. B. Wicker (Manly)
10. C. Tulloch (Randwick)
11. B. Hafoka (Souths)
12. D. Stolz (Eastwood)
13. S. Tabuatamata (Wests)
14. M. Crafts (Gordon)
15. A. Newsome (Parra)

16. J. McLean (Norths), 17. M. Hooper (Easts), 18. N. Koutsakis (Randwick), 19. Tanu Atiu (Wests), 20. Adam de Santas (Eastwood), 21. Tevita Makasene (Easts), 22. M. Arnold (Manly), 23. B. O'Donnell (Randwick), 24. J. Redden (Uni), 25. C. Yassman (Uni).

I reckon these are all Under 20's for next year (and of course are Under 19 now though a couple are still at school and are Under 18)

* Under 18s (there may be others)
** Aus U 20s 2014

Obviously these don't include U/19 players such as A. Kellaway or H. Jones who are engaged in the NRC squads.

And expect to see more Under 18s added to the squad when they have finished their exams.

There will be questions why this lad and that isn't in there and the answer will be: I don't know.
Someone was playing silly buggers with which clubs these players are aligned with.
There are as many wrong as there are right,on that list.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^

Those were the clubs as per the programme, but I made an error with the first name (now changed).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think they got most of the reserves clubs correct, but had a shocker with the clubs the starting 15 are from.

From memory. CBF checking to verify.
Pretty sure that the names for the 18 and 25 are spelt incorrectly as well. It is Yassmin, Koutsoukis and the 8 is Warren-Vosayaco and the 1 prop is Faitotoa.
1. G. Fatoa (Penrith) Easts Parramatta
2. J. Wilkinson (Randwick) * Gordon
3. C. Orr (Gordon)** West Harbour
4. J. Anderson (Norths) Eastwood
5. L. Lealaiauloco-Tui (Eastwood) * Southern Districts
6. N. Kellaway (Norths) Randwick
7. W. Cronan (Parra) Manly
8. R. Warren-Vasoyco Southern Districts
9. B. Wicker (Manly) Parramatta
10. C. Tulloch (Randwick) Northern Suburbs
11. B. Hafoka (Souths) ?
12. D. Stolz (Eastwood) Norths
13. S. Tabuatamata (Wests) Gordon
14. M. Crafts (Gordon) Randwick
15. A. Newsome (Parra) Easts

<snip>

Not blaming @Lee Grant for any errors as he has just copied what was on the team sheet.

It is pretty poor form on behalf of the team management to allow so many errors on the team sheet. There is nothing more likely to make a person feel unloved than to get their name or other important detail like their footy club wrong.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^
Crikey - I thought it strange that the Kellaway twins would play for different clubs but didn't twig that there were so many wrong.

I wondered that perhaps they got a spreadsheet wrong and one column was out of whack, but that doesn't answer.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Its backwards. They have obvious gone 1-15 somewhere and 15-1 somewhere else e.g. The Front row are originally listed as Easts (1), Randwick (2), Gordon (3) while the 13, 14, 15 are originally listed as Parra (15), Gordon (14) and Wests (13). In actual fact the Front row are Parra, Gordon and Wests and the 13, 14, 15 are Easts, Randwick, Gordon. Hard to explain, I hope that makes sense.

Therefore B Hafoka should be Eastwood.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Makes absolute sense @Forcefield. Must have been an old school leagueie. Isn't their numbering system arse about? Not that they have proper positions but the bloke who is (or was) purportedly the Fullback was allocated number 1, and so on down the chain.

Still doesn't excuse getting the chaps names spelt incorrectly.

Team Manager Standards appear to be slipping in Australian Rugby, with Team Manager problems being experienced from right at the top of the tree all the way through to the Waratah Colts.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
To be honest a 4N tournament would give the players more exposure to playing particularly NZ but I'm not so sure that would help. It's more travel and there's quite a bit of funding required for it so I don't know how sustainable it is.

In SA I'd venture to say our schools are very very competitive amongst one another anyway which is why we're still very competitive in junior levels I believe despite our lack of an international competition like a Junior 6 Nations.

Very few schools don't have a rugby field around here. Mostly private schools or English schools that prefer football. The transformation policy should see that rural schools also get some Rugby pitches if SARU is serious about transformation.

A young black kid will naturally want to play only football if that's the only thing he's been exposed to from primary school in the "ghetto". There will be more interest in Rugby if it were actually available to many more of these kids.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
To be honest a 4N tournament would give the players more exposure to playing particularly NZ but I'm not so sure that would help. It's more travel and there's quite a bit of funding required for it so I don't know how sustainable it is.
Good point. It would be simpler to start smaller and closer to home. Might be better to look at an SPC-20s series with PI sides. This would expand a bit more on the direction starting to be taken last year with Adrian Thompson's side.

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
We are likely to see the following veterans return for the Green and Gold in 2015:
Cameron ORR
Sam CROKE
Lolo FAKAOSILEA
Andrew KELLAWAY
Conrad QUICK
Jonah PLACID
Fereti SA'AGA (Samoa 2014)
Cameron SKELTON (Samoa 2014)
Matthew SANDELL (late call up as injury cover)

Of the boys just returned from the Aussie Schoolboys NZ tour who are leaving year 12 this year, one would assume they are aged 18 or 19 and likely contenders for the squad. Will the various States pick up the likely contenders in training squads? What's the pathway, especially for those based in country areas?

From the Squad for the NZ Test, this is where I reckon they will be next year:

Finish School in 2014
2 Ed Craig Epping Boy’s High School
3 Vunipola Fifita Newington College
5 Andrew Vatuvei Sarah Redfern High School
6 Maumau Monu Canberra College
8 Harley Fox (Captain) Anglican Church Grammar School
10 Connor O’Shea St Joseph’s College
11 Joey Fittock The Southport School
12 Sione Tuipulotu St Kevin’s College
13 Izaia Perese Anglican Church Grammar School
15 Jordan Fulivai St Francis Xavier College
16 Gavin Luka St Joseph’s Nudgee College
17 Richie Asiata Anglican Church Grammar School
18 Shambeckler Vui Ipswich Grammar School
19 Tuaina Tualima Brisbane State High School
20 Hugh Summerhayes Cranbrook School
21 Nicholas Duffy St Joseph’s College
23 Ned Yeomans Kinross Wolaroi

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
[snip]Will the various States pick up the likely contenders in training squads? What's the pathway, especially for those based in country areas?

Just found this page on the Waratah's website (http://www.waratahs.com.au/Waratahs/Team/Under20s.aspx) , which provides some insight into the NSW pathway for Under 20s. Looks like they will have already been contacted if they are playing colts already, and I presume boys playing only for their school will be on the radar given their 'Schoolboys' status. But what about others who are excellent players, perhaps even in the shadow squad or not selected at all, who should get a call-up. I guess it comes down to the scouting abilities of Tim Rapp and Tim Kelaher.

Also this page on the Junior World Rugby Cup to be held in Italy: http://www.irb.com/jwc/news/newsid=2072341.html#jwc+2015+northern+italy

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It has been a bit quiet on this thread for a while.

My snouts say that the NSW U20's have commenced operations in a wider training squad of about 50 players that will get whittled down over time.

Hugh's Predicted NSW U20 2015

Aust U20 team 2014
Samuel CROKE
Andrew KELLAWAY
Cameron ORR
Matthew SANDELL

In addition to the Aust players returning:
NSW U20 team 2014:
Ellis ABRAHAMS
Andrew DEEGAN
Folau Fainga'a
Ned Hanigan
Jack McCALMAN

In addition to the above who are almost certain to be selected for 2015 (provided they maintain fitness and remain injury free), I think that Tim Rapp will have most of these lads in a NSW U20 Train on Squad from which to select his final squad for Nationals Championships in 2015:
Joshua Anderson
Matthew Arnold
Lachlan Cannell
Jack Clancy
Nick Clancy
Ben Cotton
Matthew Crafts
Ed Craig
Will Cronin
Rory Davis
Will Davies
Tyson Davis
Adam De Santis
Adrian Delore
Nicholas Duffy
Hamish Dunbar
Gerard Faitotoa
Vunipola Fifita
Matt Hooper
Harrison Jones
Ollie Kamp
Nick Kellaway
Nathan Kelly
Michael Kennedy
Nicholas Koutsoukis
Jackson McLean
Telenoti Moataane
Josh Mitchell
Alex Newsome
Connor O’Shea
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Jack Redden
Faaope Satui
Matthew Serhon
Mitchell Short
Devan Stoltz
Hugh Summerhayes
Samuel Tabuatamata
Corey Tulloch
Anthony Vasilis
Andrew Vatuvei
Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco
Brent Whicker
Harrison Williams
James Wilkinson
Christian Yassmin
Ned Yeomans

I have included the 2014 Aust Schoolboys from NSW, but I think that most of these will be included in the train on squad as 2016 development and assessment WIP and will not survive the first cut.

The predicted squad list been based on selection for 2013 National Schoolboys Championships, or inclusion in the NSW Colts selection that played against the Emerging Rays in a curtain raiser during NRC.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How have the 2015 U20 cohort progressed through the ranks over the years since 2011 Under 16's?

Sydney JRU U16 2011
Malaki Afele - Merrylands
Erickson Aukofolau - Liverpool City
Geoffrey Coffill - Wests
Benjamin Cotton - Dural
Jamieson Clark - Merrylands
Matthew Crafts - Coogee
Fred Fiala-Motu - Coogee
Connor Finn - Canterbury
Harry Jones - Newport
Christian Kagiassis - Canterbury
Nicholas Koutsoukis - Coogee
Vaka Maile - Canterbury
Matthew Matson - Hills
Jack McCalman - Beecroft-Cherrybrook
David Morris - Norths Pirates
Cameron Orr - Wests
Brandon Paenga-Amosa - Southern Barbarians
Jack Redden - Hunters Hill
Jacob Roberts - Merrylands
Junior Satiu - Merrylands
Mitchell Short - Hunters Hill
Brent Whicker - Hawkesbury Valley
Harrison Williams - Norths Pirates

NSW Schools U16 2011
Lachlan Cannell Killara HS
Hayden Cochrane St Augustine's College
Rory Davis The King's School
Andrew Deegan St Joseph's College
Adrian Delore Whitebridge HS
Oliver Kamp The Scots College
Andrew Kellaway The Scots College
Jack King St Ignatius
Joey Lussick Newington College
Peter Maa Westfields SHS
Jarrod Matairavula Pendle Hill HS
Taane Milne Randwick BHS
Tepai Moeroa Newington College
Nicholas Pennisi St Joseph's College
Oscar Pople Newington College
George Prassas Newington College
Matthew Sandell St Joseph's College
Josh Schwager St Joseph's College
Ben Stacy The King's School
Doug Streeter Shore School
Oliver Takiveikata Westfields SHS
Anthony Vasilis Randwick BHS

NSW Country U16 2011
Brenton Acreman Central Coast
Nicholas Andrews Hunter
Harry Boyce Illawarra
Harrison Brown Far North Coast
Samuel Carter Hunter
George Chapman Far North Coast
Cody Fenwick Hunter
Damien Fleming Central Coast
Sam Hefren Hunter
Jordan Holz Hunter
Jack Lapa Central Coast
Shaun Laurie Far North Coast
Tim Lewis Illawarra
Iszak Lunney Illawarra
Angus MacDougall Far North Coast
Cameron McNamara Central Coast
Stuart Mill Illawarra
Jackson McLean Hunter
Jarad Newey Illawarra
Nicholas O’Connell New England
Luke Papworth Hunter
Corey Tulloch Illawarra
Conor Young Far North Coast

NSW Schools RU (U18) representatives from 2013 (excluding the 2014 graduates from teams below):
NSW I 2013
Matthew SANDELL, St Joseph’s College, AAGPS
Faaope SATUI, Trinity Grammar School, CAS
Lachlan CANNELL, Newington College, AAGPS
Joshua ANDERSON, Oakhill College, ISA
Jackson McCALMAN, The King's School, AAGPS
Rahboni WARREN-VOSAYACO, Endeavour SHS, CHS
Mitchell SHORT, The Scots College, AAGPS
Andrew DEEGAN, St Joseph’s College,AAGPS
Charlie TAYLOR, St Augustine’s College, ISA
Tepai MOEROA, Newington College, AAGPS
Taane MILNE, Newington College, AAGPS
Harry JONES, Barker College, CAS
Andrew KELLAWAY, The Scots College, AAGPS
Jackson MCLEAN, Trinity Grammar School, CAS
Will RIDLEY, The Scots College, AAGPS
Billy FREEMAN, Kinross Wolaroi, ISA
Michael KENNEDY, St Ignatius' College, AAGPS
Corey TULLOCH, The King's School, AAGPS
Ben COTTON, Oakhill College, ISA

NSW II 2013
Nick KOUTSOUKIS, Waverley College, CAS
Anthony VASILIS, Newington College, AAGPS
Ned Hanigan, St Joseph’s College, AAGPS
David MORRIS, Newington College, AAGPS
Brandon PAENGA-AMOSA, Endeavour SHS, CHS
Joey LUSSICK, Newington College, AAGPS
Jack CLANCY, Shore, AAGPS
Tyson DAVIS, Barker College, CAS
Will DAVIS, The King's School, AAGPS
Josh MITCHELL, Newington College, AAGPS
Nick CLANCY, Shore, AAGPS
Nathan KELLY, St Ignatius' College, AAGPS
Jamaine CROSSLEY, The Scots College, AAGPS
Arthur CURRIE, St Gregorys Campbelltown, ISA
Matt ARNOLD, St Augustine’s College, ISA
Elliot JENNINGS, All Saints Maitland, CCC

Combined States 2013
Blake WALSH, Merewether HS, CHS
Nic KELLAWAY, The Scots College, AAGPS
Ollie KAMP, The Scots College, AAGPS
Harry LIND, Merewether HS, CHS
Adrian DELORE, Whitebridge HS, CHS
Tom MOLLOY, St Ignatius’ College, AAGPS
Rory DAVIS, The Kings School, AAGPS

ASRU Representatives from 2013 (Excluding 2014 graduates)
Australian Schoolboys 2013
Joshua ANDERSON, Oakhill College, Castle Hill
Lachlan CANNELL, Newington College
Andrew DEEGAN, St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill
Vunipola FIFITA, Newington College
Ned HANIGAN, St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill
Andrew KELLAWAY, The Scots College
Jack McCALMAN, The Kings School
Taane MILNE, Newington College
Tepai MOEROA, Newington College
Matthew SANDELL, St Joseph's College, Hunters Hill
Faaope SATUI, Trinity Grammar School
Mitchell SHORT, The Scots College
Rahboni WARREN-VOSAYACO, Endeavour Sports High School

Australian Schoolboys 'A' Team 2013
Jack CLANCY, Shore School,
Tyson DAVIS, Barker College
Ollie KAMP, The Scots College
Nick KOUTSOUKIS, Waverley College
David MORRIS, Newington College

Sideline Eye

Darby Loudon (17)
NSW Schools RU (U18) representatives from 2013 (excluding the 2014 graduates from teams below):
[Snip]
ASRU Representatives from 2013 (Excluding 2014 graduates)

Why exclude 2014 graduates? Is it because:

I have included the 2014 Aust Schoolboys from NSW, but I think that most of these will be included in the train on squad as 2016 development and assessment WIP and will not survive the first cut.

There's only six of them (below) and at least one or two were in the 2013 sides you've listed above in . I guess standouts like A.Kellaway are the exception, but do you think none of these boys have a snowflakes chance of making the cut prior to Christmas, presumably as 18 year olds?

Nicholas Duffy, Ed Craig, Vunipola Fifita, Connor O’Shea, Hugh Summerhayes, Ned Yeomans... and Andrew Vatuvei (edit as per Hugh's later post).

(By the way, how the heck did Harry Jones miss out on Under 20s last year? He was a standout at the National Championships at Riverview last year)

Status
Not open for further replies.