• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Rebels have announced their U20 Squad
When you see squads such as this, it disappoints me when I read comments such as let's cut the Rebels (or Force or Brumbies). What pathway is there for these kids without these teams?

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
Brumbies squad below, and web link here:
http://www.brumbies.com.au/Portals/13/Files/Community Rugby/Coaching/ACT U20 Rep team squad 2015.pdf

Not sure when this was posted, but I can't see the list in previous pages of this forum thread.

The website provides the following information:
"Congratulations to the following players who have been selected in the 2015 ACT U20’s Representative Squad.The squad will be training towards the 2015 Combined States Championships which will be held in Adelaide on 21st -25th February.Compulsory Training - Brumbies HQ, Building 29, University Drive, U.C, Bruce. ACT 6pm Monday, Tuesday and Thursday"

ACT U20’S - 2015 REPRESENTATIVE SQUAD

Management and Coaching Staff:Manager – Brett Irwin
Coach – Russell Ingram
Assist Coach – Frank CondiHead S&C – Ben Norcott
Assist S&C – Angus TeecePhysio – James Pearce

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I couldn't see the squad in the post above from @Monty Python, but from the link he provided, the Brumbies U20 2015 squad is:

Forwards
Max BODE Uni-Nths
Nick De CRESPIGNEY CGS
Mesu DOLOKOTO Gungahlin
Isileli FA Uni-Nths
Cuan HABLUTZEL Uni-Nths
Cameron HOLT Tuggeranong
James KAZIAS Tuggeranong
Brodie LEBER Wests
Harrison LLOYD Wests
Tyrel LOMAX Tuggeranong
Connal McINERNEY Tuggeranong
Bruce MAUMAU MONU Royals
Keiran NORCOTT Marist
Dean PARAGALLI Royals
Callum RICHARDSON Uni-Nths
Will SANKEY TBC
Falalie SIONE Royals
Callum SMITH Tuggeranong
Suita TAI Marist

Backs
Brenton ACREMAN Royals
Harry BUREY Royals
Charlie CHAPMAN TBC
Beau DONOVAN Queanbeyan
Mitchell DOUCH Queanbeyan
Jordan FULIVAI Gungahlin
Sam GILTRAP Tuggeranong
Tom HALL Uni-Nths
Chris HODGESON Uni-Nths
Jordan JACKSON-HOPE SEC
Keith MORGAN Queanbeyan
Swayne RAKETE Royals
Jack REID Tuggeranong
Sam ROSS Marist
Patrick RUMBLE CGS
Tyron SULLIVAN Queanbeyan
Harry TYSON CGS

Management and Coaching Staff:
Manager – Brett IRWIN
Coach – Russell INGRAM
Assist Coach – Frank CONDI
Head S&C – Ben NORCOTT
Assist S&C – Angus TEECE
Physio – James PEARCE

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
I couldn't see the squad in the post above from @Monty Python...

Cheers Hugh. Trying to cut and paste the names of those in the squad but the iPad is hopeless for that. Just gave up and was about to resort to the PC to do it, and add them to the post, but you beat me to it.

I see a few 2014 Aussie Schoolboys in this squad (J.Jackson-Hope, J.Fulivai) and at least one shouldabeen Aussie Schoolboy (Suita Tai). Maybe others? No doubt some from 2013 as well, and many other strong contenders. Likely a strong line-up. Presume they have their own team for the comp in Canberra in March?

Does anyone have a squad list for NSW yet? I note from other posts that Lee Grant has attended the odd training session - any inside info Lee, or timelines for the final squad?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Suita Tai is not a shouldabeen Aussie Schoolboy. He is a bone fide one, having toured the UK with the 2013 Aussie Schoolboy team. He busted an ankle at National Champs in 2014 which ruled him out of a repeat performance with Aust Schoolboys in NZ in 2014.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
QLD Under 20 Training Squad (Brad Wilkin moved to Aus 7s)

Forwards:
Aaron Pleash
Alex Mafi
Dylan Sikimeti
Gareth Ryan
Jayden Rodwell
Benroy Sala
Sam Clifton
Jake Lyon
S Vui
Zach Shanks
Izack Rodda
Phil Potgieter
Eramasi Ganita
Angus Scott-Young
Lolo Fakosilea
Adam Korczyk
Michael Gunn
Douglas Mac Millan
Maclean Jones
Harley Fox
Conor Moroney
Tuiana Tualima
Max Allen

Backs:
Moses Sorovi
Angus Fowler
Isaak Fines
Duncan Paia'aua
James Tuttle
James Dalgleish
Pat James
Mitch Third
Jason Tomane
Nigel Tanuvasa
Nathan Russell
Campbell Magnay
Conrad Quick
Izaia Perese
Joey Fittock
Sam Hyne
Adam Gauder
George Partridge
Liam Jurd

Red Heavy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Could be a log jam at 10 with Duncan p, Tuttle, Dalgilsh, James, third and Russell all capable of wearing the jersey.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Does anyone have a squad list for NSW yet? I note from other posts that Lee Grant has attended the odd training session - any inside info Lee, or timelines for the final squad?

It will be named, or at least finalised, tomorrow. It will not be the final squad, just the New Year cut for their training squad as the ACT and Qld squads posted seem to be.

There will be only 28 players in each team's final cut. Super Rugby players like Placid and Kellaway may not play in the nationals if they are marginal matchday players; they may not have to appear until they hold the training camps before they leave.

I don't know the date of the national U20 championships this year but last year NSW named their final squad just days before the tournament, which started on March 22nd.

The Victorian team has about the right number to take to the Adelaide Combined States selection tournament, but that is seven weeks away; so I don't know why they announced so early and didn't just name a training squad as the ACT did.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Three of the Victorian U20s were in the Southern States team last year (Sa'aga, Hosea and Toeta). Only one from the ACT (Conal McInerney). The WA squad hasn't been named yet but I'd anticipate 3 returnees from WA.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Could be a log jam at 10 with Duncan p, Tuttle, Dalgilsh, James, third and Russell all capable of wearing the jersey.

They may use Duncan at 15. The squad could look like this;
Pleash, Mafi, Sikimeti
Potgieter, Rodda
Korczyk, Gunn, Fakosilea
Sorovi, Tuttle, Quick, Tomane, Magnay, Tanuvasa, Paua'aua

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The lists so far, and the NSW personnel I know about, confirm that there is quality and depth in the backs and flankers, plus a few decent hookers and LHPs.

It also confirms, on paper, a lack of bruisers and lineout gurus in the second row and line-busters at no. 8.

Lolo should be the no 8 who can bend the line but my jury is still out on him.

THP is another area of concern. We can't expect to get another Allan Ala'alatoa this year nor hope that Vuni Fifita (who played on both sides for Newington and THP against NZ Schools) can step up, since he has just left school.

The second row is a major problem, as we have discussed before.

Rather than crowing about how good flanker X is or flyhalf Y or winger Z and thump our chests about our favourites - lets have the names of THP A and locks B and C.

Not the skilful guys with big engines, but the fellows who can knock fellows over if they have the ball or the other team has it, knows what a scum or lineout is all about and can stop a maul and can counter-ruck.

The rest of the squad should be good enough.

The trouble is - we know our best opponents will have bruisers, and some in a lot of positions.

Let's hope the training and selection process reveals some new players or sees some youngsters take a big step up in physicality, as sometimes happens at this age.

I don't think anybody should be too fussed about where they come from.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
WA ran out Jermaine Ainsley for the U20s last year. He is a tighthead prop who has played Premier Grade in Perth. From what I can gather he was 19 then and would still be eligible. Good pedigree and he was always going to struggle for a spot in the Southern States team behind Alan. Not sure if he is still/will still be in WA. From what I can gather the U20s will be having a selection day on the 10th of Jan and will presumably name a team a few days later.

See below for more:

http://www.odt.co.nz/sport/rugby/222614/rugby-obhs-prop-shows-promise-emulating-father

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
The second row is a major problem, as we have discussed before.

Rather than crowing about how good flanker X is or flyhalf Y or winger Z and thump our chests about our favourites - lets have the names of THP A and locks B and C.

Not the skilful guys with big engines, but the fellows who can knock fellows over if they have the ball or the other team has it, knows what a scum or lineout is all about and can stop a maul and can counter-ruck.

The rest of the squad should be good enough.

The trouble is - we know our best opponents will have bruisers, and some in a lot of positions.

Looking at his physique (202cm, 120kg) the 19 year old Izack Rodda could be the one. I did not see him play and last year he broke his leg so could not tour with the Schoolboys. One to watch.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Maybe he's only 18 though which would make him less desirable as an U20 tight five player in 2015, however big. He could have turned 19 in the last few days (in the new year) but otherwise he wouldn't have been eligible for Aus Schools in 2014.

You never know though - if he plays big as well as being big, he is just the kind of player we need in the team even though he is yet to turn 19.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
An article on Rodda here: http://www.northernstar.com.au/news/izack-a-schoolboys-rep/2379469/

jbQMF5r.jpg

His father describes Izack's strong points as being his ball control and strength, combined with an ability to offload the ball after making a break.

So you never know.

Monty Python

Ted Fahey (11)
^^^ Suita Tai is not a shouldabeen Aussie Schoolboy. He is a bone fide one, having toured the UK with the 2013 Aussie Schoolboy team. He busted an ankle at National Champs in 2014 which ruled him out of a repeat performance with Aust Schoolboys in NZ in 2014.

Thanks for the clarification Huw. Though in my defence, I did say Suita shouldabeen an Aussie Schoolboy "in 2014" (but for injury).

So, he comes under the category of "Aussie schoolboys from 2013".

I see a few 2014 Aussie Schoolboys in this squad (J.Jackson-Hope, J.Fulivai) and at least one shouldabeen Aussie Schoolboy (Suita Tai). Maybe others? No doubt some from 2013 as well...

Looking at the various lists, some great talent in that position for the National Under 20s selectors in Mafi and Tai who were both Aussie Schoolboys in 2013 (plus other strong contenders no doubt). Tai injured at the Nationals in 2014, and Mafi actually 'selected' but I think injured in his school games, so technically an Aussie Schoolboy in 2014 as well, though he didn't tour.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
What are the JWC eligibility requirements - something like under 20 years of age on January 1 and with residency in the country? - It would seem Taniela Tupou is not in the catchment area.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
The WA squad hasn't been named yet but I'd anticipate 3 returnees from WA.

WA is having trials next Saturday. Whether it will choose a training group for the Southern States' Tournament as the ACT seems to have done or the final squad (with unnamed train-on players) as Victoria has done, is not mentioned.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
What are the JWC eligibility requirements - something like under 20 years of age on January 1 and with residency in the country? - It would seem Taniela Tupou is not in the catchment area.

Its a very shaky area but residency doesn't seen to be an issue because Will and Cameron Skelton were able to play for Samoa U20s, though both were residents of Sydney and born in NZ.

But note that Samu Kerevi couldn't qualify for Aus U20s in 2013. An ARU staffer told me then that he had visa problems - yet he had been resident in Aus from when he was a nipper. Figure that one out.

So if residency isn't an issue, it's likely that the the birthplace of parents or grandparents can get you into a team. In the case of Thor (born in Tonga) it would likely be the Tonga team only - but they aren't competing in the U20 comp.

Not to the point but hang on to this guy Reds. Even if he is just half-way decent the French clubs will be all over him, just in case he can come good over there,, if he isn't already. And if he's a bit better than that they will consider him one who got away from them - until his contract is due for renewal and they will get him.

At least - that is the way they think these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.