• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 IRB Junior Rugby World Cup - Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We have to get a bonus point from the SA game, preferably two.

Don't give us much chance of that however.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Aus v Italy.

If there isn't a handful of better No 10s at U20s elsewhere in Aus, then Aus rugby is in some sort of trouble in the future. Deegan simply makes too many fundamental mistakes to be taking the side into the SA game, and hopefully the finals.

Can someone explain exactly what happened in the scrums? Italy dominant to the point of destroying the Aus scrum though our TH side. But after about 30 minutes, the dominance swung around to the Aus scrum even though no replacements had been made to that point.

As mentioned by others, Placid must learn when and how to pass to his supports. Could have been a couple of extra tries had he done so effectively. But he is massively good otherwise.

I thought FF (Folau Fainga'a) was better at hooker than McInerny, especially in general play. Others to show good form included Orr, Hanigan, Wilkin, Tuipolotu and Kellaway. AK (Andrew Kellaway) simply should not be captain. On one occasion, the ref actually ran about 40m across field to talk with him and then had to return to get the game started again. Other times, AK (Andrew Kellaway) had to come in to the ref and then pass on messages to his players before returning the the other side of the ground to take up his position.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I can't. Was suggested Italian prop was turning in until the ref copped onto him.

Maybe, but have to say I didn't see it. Just looked like Sandell was being overpowered. Although, I have to say, even in the early scrums the Aus one held together better when Wilkin packed behind Sandell rather than Gunn. Could that have been some of the difference?

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
the front row stuggled in the scrum the first 25 mins due to the fact i think the italians scrummaging illegally then the ref had caught on wht they were doing

i prefer Fainga'a over connor , seems to offer a bit more
orr was good on the scrums and around the paddock
tui was a beast with ball in hand , same as korczyk, wilkin had a good first solid hit out

Deegen had a ordinary game , too many mistakes..

Placid is great in attack but needs to use peripheral vision to look for players couple of times players were open

the score for the lads could of gone to 40 plus if they had better ball control and bit more patience in attack

muddy

Peter Burge (5)
m
maybe they were illegal but the ozzie front row were far too high - I reckon I might have been able to get under them..nah

maybe the first 2 scrums eps the first penalty and 3 pointer for the italins, but then once the lads adjusted you could see the looshead trying to screw the scrum, and the ref caught on ...

our scrum will def be tested against the saffas , so the boys have alot of work ahead of them

rugby roo

Peter Burge (5)
The Aus scrum will hold its own for the most part if they can get frontrow slightly lower than they have been. Boks will also try to raise contact point of frnt row against them which wont help Matt Sandell trying to nullify an opponent who wants to work him slightly inward.
The ref wont pick that up because it will look like Aus are causing it.
A Kell. Needs some tips on how to get in refs ear early about scrums he should have done it in Italy match.
Shouldnt matter where he is on field a captain should always be letting ref know that he is aware of stuff that ref is not pulling up.
This mob are not overawed by any side I can tell and thats a big plus in big games.
Lets hope the recent game v all blacks has them smarter on the paddock because thats where they need it like recent lovely break by 15 who decides to be a potential showoff and stuffs the attack with 3 players in support on inside!!!
Have a close look at replay , it cannot be allowed to happen again because chances like that are extremely limited.
I also noticed a couple of my favourite plays being employed to great effect but not often enough , that is a mobile forward able to hit contact and stay on his feet with a backrower latching on at pace gaining very good metres wider off the ruck.
it disrupts defensive patterns regularly.
Good luck young men in gold and play well for yourselves and supporters and country.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Well done to the Aussie boys picked.

None of them made my top 3 for the Aussies, but Orr came closest; his side of the scrum was not the problem we had early in the game, and his little swerve against three "tacklers" before scoring was showing off.

Tuttle has improved since the Oceania tournament, but he had to.

I had Korczyk ahead of Wilkin, in a different position, I know. Apart from other stuff he did, I thought his handling of scrappy ball at the lineout and the back of the scrum was first-rate and was a significant plus.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
Have heard that QLD 20s halfback Isaak Fines has been given the call up to fly to Italy. Has one of the inside backs picked up an injury?

B

Bobby Sands

Don't understand why people are so harsh on Tuttle. I get it that the NSW nine wasn't picked, but Tuttle is very good - and will be a good super rugby player.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bokkies vs Aus coming up on wednesday.

R365
Junior Boks ready to 'maul' Aussies
South African have turned their attention to their decisive pool match against Australia, at the Peroni Stadium in Calvisano on Wednesday, after retaining their unbeaten run at the Under-20 World Cup.

The Junior Springboks scored their second bonus-point win of the championship when they delivered a powerful forward display to beat Samoa 40-8 in Parma at the weekend.

The SA forwards scored three tries in the first half to showcase their dominance up front, while two more tries in the second half capped off a satisfying performance by the team - who will now face Australia on Wednesday in what will be a pool decider.

The pool winners qualify automatically for the semifinals on June 15.

Coach Dawie Theron said they will continue to rely on their pack to win games.

"We know that we have a strong pack of forwards this year and they showed what they can do," he said in his post-match reaction after the win over Samoa.

"We are working very hard on our line-outs and our driving mauls and got the reward.

"However, I do think we must hold onto the ball much longer and keep it under control so that we can get more points on the board.

"I think this team is a real quality team this year but we are not playing to our full potential and I would say we are playing at about 70 percent of where I want us to be. Our decision-making also need to improve.

"Our focus now turn to Australia who we face in our last pool match on Wednesday.

"We know they are a well-organised team and that match will be tough. We will prepare with two field sessions and do our homework thoroughly," added Theron.

Junior Springbok captain Hanro Liebenberg, praised his team.

"This was a much better show than against Italy in our opening match. Our set-pieces worked very well, although I think we can still improve in our line-out play," Liebenberg said.

"We will now go and study the play of Australia and do some homework on them to prepare for the final pool match," Liebenberg added.

On Sunday the Junior Springbok team doctor, Jerome Mampane, confirmed there were no injuries of note to report

"As a result of the physical nature of the game it means that there are a lot of sore bodies," Mampane said.

"A couple of bumps and bruises were reported but thankfully we have no time-loss injuries.

"During the next day or so we will focus heavily on the recovery process so that we get the players ready for our next match on Wednesday.".

South Africa (Pool B), England (Pool A) and New Zealand (Pool C) are the log leaders in their respective groups after two matches.

All collected the maximum 10 points on offer so far.

The pool winners plus the best-placed second team across the three groups qualify for the semifinals on June 15.

The remaining pool fixtures, on Wednesday, June 10:

Stadio Luigi Zaffanella, Viadana
England vs France (Pool A) - 16.30 local time (14.30 GMT)
Wales vs Japan (Pool A) - 18.30 local time (16.30 GMT)
New Zealand vs Ireland (Pool C) - 20.30 local time (18.30 GMT)

Peroni Stadium, Calvisano
Argentina vs Scotland (Pool C) - 16.30 local time (14.30 GMT)
Samoa vs Italy (Pool B) - 18.30 local time (16.30 GMT)
South Africa vs Australia (Pool B)- 20.30 local time (18.30 GMT)

Status
Not open for further replies.