• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2015 NRC Barbarians Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
The Australian Barbarians have had a win 38-32 full time. One yellow card to Cameron Orr just before half time for foul play. The kiwis made the most of us having a man down and we trailed coming into the second half 24-19. I hear we held them out for a good 10 mins in defence before the full time bell. 5 conversions to Isaac Thompson. Good back line tries as well as a good forwards try to win us the game. Woo hoo!!!

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The Australian Barbarians have had a win 38-32 full time. One yellow card to Cameron Orr just before half time for foul play. The kiwis made the most of us having a man down and we trailed coming into the second half 24-19. I hear we held them out for a good 10 mins in defence before the full time bell. 5 conversions to Isaac Thompson. Good back line tries as well as a good forwards try to win us the game. Woo hoo!!!

Be nice to see some mainstream media at least report on the win/game....but expectations low there...

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
That's no a bad team, but surely there's a better uncontracted tighthead running around than good auld chubby. No offence to the lad, but he's really a loosehead that can play 3 a bit.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

From what I saw of him he was better at LHP, but we needed a THP after Tim tore him Hamstring from the bone. He is a fairly mobile Prop, effective at the breakdown and can play both sides - always handy in a Squad. Don't think he is Super rugby ready yet, but might pick up a lot as a EPS Squad member.

Hayden Hirismaki (Queensland Country), Luke Holmes (North Harbour Rays), Matt Philip (Sydney Stars), Reece Hodge (North Harbour Rays), Andrew Robinson (Sydney Stars) and Charli Clifton (CSU Country Eagles) have all stepped aside.

Sadly, I think this is a smart long-term move for Reece. With his impending arrive down in Mexico I don't think he wanted to risk his body in a rep game. Sad that he misses the opportunity to play for the BaaBaas, but you want the body right for the Super Rugby season.

T

TOCC

Sadly, I think this is a smart long-term move for Reece. With his impending arrive down in Mexico I don't think he wanted to risk his body in a rep game. Sad that he misses the opportunity to play for the BaaBaas, but you want the body right for the Super Rugby season.

For those players signed to professional contracts in 2016 the next 3 to 4 weeks is their only opportunity for an off-season break, after that its pre-season and training hard. I wouldn't expect any player signed for 2016 to play in this team.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thanks for posting that link - looked like a cracking game...

Hopefully next year NZ heartlands play baa baas in oz and gets put on Foxtel or foxsports

Hopefully the NRC is of high enough standard they can play an ITM XV and not a Heartland XV.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
pfftt. No need to ever feel sorry for a NZ team. What's the concern? Club players v club players isn't it?

Well the Heartland teams are the really the 3rd division comp below Super Rugby, that's after ITM Premiership and Championship teams. Their players are definitely at a lower spectrum than NRC players which are more on par with the ITM Championship. I think in the future the Aus team could play a team made up on non-contracted Championship ITM players.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Thanks for the link, great to see that the LPD hasn't changed much since I left Levin, still got the pre-velodrome cycling track round the outside & the pipe & mesh fence we used to lean against back in the day (the grandstand being too far removed from the club room bars at either end). Crowd didn't look too flash but it was a Tuesday afternoon so most people at work, I guess.

Have to feel sorry for the Heartland team. What a mismatch.

Score line & reports I've seen suggest otherwise, or has there been a second match I don't know about where we got flogged?

Well the Heartland teams are the really the 3rd division comp below Super Rugby, that's after ITM Premiership and Championship teams. Their players are definitely at a lower spectrum than NRC players which are more on par with the ITM Championship. I think in the future the Aus team could play a team made up on non-contracted Championship ITM players.

NZRU are really keen on giving the Heartland guys something to aim for that doesn't cost as much as the old PI tours but I take your point, maybe it should be non-Super Rugby contracted players on both sides.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Both matches were over early, NZ only made it close in the last few mins of both games as you'd expect in those type of games I think. It sounded like a mismatch to me.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Defensive organisation is the big thing in these rep games - team has to come together in a couple of weeks and attack will work pretty well with a few simple moves, and a couple of big boppers, but alignment and communication takes time.

Is Heartland really just 3rd Div any more? I realise ITM has expanded to have the Premiership/Championship thing, but a couple of 2nd Div NPC provinces did effectively move down, did they not?

In any case, those thinking an ITM XV would have been a better match:

It would be a slaughter for our blokes.

Status
Not open for further replies.